Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Upgraded a couple of my CBH's with these recent newps

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are a couple of CBH newps which are upgrades - 1817/3 AU55 (Ex. Allgood Collection) and 1825 AU58 (ex. Premium Collection)..........Comments welcome.

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, both very nice !
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1825 was Ex Highmoon before it was a Premium coin. image
  • Options

<< <i>That 1825 was Ex Highmoon before it was a Premium coin. image >>

Good to know, thanks......it has INCREDIBLE luster and is PQ in my opinion.
  • Options
    I bought that coin in an old fat slab NGC AU55 holder, I think off of ebay for about 400$. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    striking difference in strike

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>I bought that coin in an old fat slab NGC AU55 holder, I think off of ebay for about 400$. image >>

It just goes to show you that there are STILL coins out there in NGC fatty slabs that are good upgrade candidates.

• Options

<< <i>striking difference in strike

image >>

This 1817/3 is actually well struck for the grade considering how weakly struck this coin comes.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive, Dave! Love them both. Eye appeal is off the chart.

I like how you waited for Trueviews before announcing them to the forum. More to enjoy for us. image
    Lance.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>striking difference in strike

image >>

This 1817/3 is actually well struck for the grade considering how weakly struck this coin comes. >>

I was thinking the 17/13 is far better struck
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Both nice coins.

See a bit of a scroll clash on the 7/3. Any ear bar detail?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Both are gorgeous! The 1817/3 looks like she will fit right in your set (or mine!!!! image ) from a patina standpoint. I am so used to seeing relatively low grade specimens. She's moving!

Suspect that the modicum of strike weakness on your 25 influenced the folks at NGC to penalize her, despite the luster (as you have described it) and clean fields. Must admit the reverse pic suggests less than 58 luster but crusty patina can do that to a pic.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Both CBH's have great eye appeal. Congrats!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love the looks of that 1825. wtg image
  • Options
    Dave,

Your new 17/3 is great. I fell for it at the heritage preview. I am glad you got. If anyone has the Heritage catalog from the Tampa FUN, look how poorly they imaged that coin. Actually, it probably kept people from bidding on it.

Gary
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am really happy with them both. I think they fit in with rest of my CBH set very well.

No bars below Liberty's ear, I don't think 17/3's have them, at least not that I've seen.

Gary, Your set is coming along VERY nicely. I really like your 1813 PCGS 55 and 1827/6 PCGS 58 you posted the other day. Congrats on your crossover success.
  • Options
    I think these are the old pics...

imageimage
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    Those are real sweet.... image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh my, my ... an a merci to boot! image

Like the both ... a LOT!!

Nice upgrades image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really like that 1817/3. Superb looking!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eye appeal on those sure are perdy...Gotta love those Cappers!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Dave,

That 17/3 is a beauty, just slightly ahead of this one I just picked up, Thank you for my new 17/3.

Gary

• Options
    Gary,

Love your 1817/3 newp, sure has quite a lot of eye appeal image

Congrats and your welcome.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty...Nice upgrading newps... image

ABimage
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone for the compliments on my FUN newps.

Believe me, it was hard letting go of my 18173 PCGS 53 (posted above) but I'm glad it went into another up and coming great CBH set.
  • Options
    Outstanding CBH's
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I hate when you post anymore - it just makes me jealous.

That 17/3 is awesome!

Both of them
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    my comment is ; wonderful coins !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    drddm,

Well done again! These are both wonderful specimens. The 1817/3 seems to be exceptionally fine, given the other great examples of that die marriage that I've seen on the boards. Wow - I dream of owning coins like these someday.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Cool coins Dave!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set. I'm curious to your thinking - why have a beautiful circulated set with a few uncs thrown in? Most would do either/or...
  • Options
    TDN,

thank you for the compliment on my set.

To answer your question, I bought my first MS CBH (1821) because I wanted one for my set, then was offered a couple more, 1822 and 1820. I couldn't resist the eye appeal of either, especially the 1820, and so I got it. I don't see myself upgrading my set to all MS, as that could seriously be draining, financially speaking, but I guess my buying strategy is, if I come across an eye appealing CBH, be it AU55, 58, or low end MS, that "fits in" with the eye appeal of the rest of my set, I get it. Not much real strategy I guess, but it's the way I do it. I want ALL my CBH's to have a certain look and I'm not fond AT ALL with white or dipped out CBH's, and so will be replacing them when nice, original, AND eye appealing examples come along. For some dates/varieties, like my 1823 Ugly 3 PCGS 58 or my 1814 E/A PCGS 55, that's gonna be tough as there are not many examples around that meet the criteria I look for when deciding to add CBH's to my set, at least at the present time.

I have no problems waiting until the right coin(s) come along as I thoroughly enjoy the HUNT as much as I do owning them. I guess that goes along with having the "FEVER", huh image
  • Options
    Dave,

That is the perfect way to go about it. I do it the same way. Sometimes a nice MS62-63 comes along that fits right in with the AU range. It is basically the same way I am trying to put my set together.

My idea was AU until 1829 the the 30's in MS. I have however, deviated from that format and picked up an MS in the 20's.

Just like you said, if it has the look, I will buy it.

Gary
  • Options
    Yes Gary, that's the way I go about it.

I guess my philosophy with buying coins can be summed up with the phrase....

"If it fits, then it sits"......in my set, that is image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file