Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question of ebay sniper tools

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you think any of those free eBay auction sniper tools has any connection with eBay? Or sell the information to some big sellers? Sometime I wonder if they know your max price they can pump up the price to make you pay for the max price. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Connection to eBay... probably. Conspiracy to artificially increase bids... unlikely. That is, unless you believe in Area 51, the Walrus, the grassy knoll, then... very likely!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think any of those free eBay auction sniper tools has any connection with eBay? Or sell the information to some big sellers? Sometime I wonder if they know your max price they can pump up the price to make you pay for the max price. Any thoughts on this? >>

I use the free snipe at vrane.com sometimes which usually places a bid with about 7 seconds left. If the vrane site was selling this info to eBay wouldn't you expect over time to see potted palm as the second bidder with about 10 seconds left? Perhaps you should study the bid history of auctions you have won using a free sniper for a common shill.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think any of those free eBay auction sniper tools has any connection with eBay? Or sell the information to some big sellers? >>

Anything's possible, but just use one of the better known sniper services out there, as, if they were compromising your info, there'd most likely be info about it on the web, users complaining or whatever.

Hidbid.com is a good sniping service.

<< <i>Sometime I wonder if they know your max price they can pump up the price to make you pay for the max price. Any thoughts on this? >>

This is more of a shill bidding issue, than a sniping service issue. There are shill bidders on ebay (the seller or their buddy, who bids on their item, waits a bit, and then retracts their bid, now knowing your max bid, then, uses yet another ID to raise your bid to its max without exceeding it), and ebay scrambles the user IDs of bidders, so it's hard to spot shilling.

Sniping is actually a way of combating (not defeating) shill bidding. You don't give the shiller time to retract their bid in order to leave you as the high bidder, close to your max. You can't do much about a shill bidder letting their bid ride to the end of the auction, if it just raises but doesn't exceed yours.

Also, look out for 2nd chance offers, as they would be a reason for the shiller to let their shill bid ride, you may want to decline any and look for a different seller with the same item.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pie pans give more protection that aluminum foil.image
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i believe a more reasonable question would be "how secure is the sniper software ?" with all the fisch mail that i get, i would be more concerned about hackers compromising a snipers software and obtaining a bunch of ebay user ID's (and passwords) although that may not be a legitimate concern either ??
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I use jbidwatcher.com. It runs on my computer, not their server. and it's free. --Jerry
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use any service. I just bid with only a few seconds left and have only lost one item in the past year...and that was only because I did not have enough money at the time to bid higher and I did not know the market for that coin well enough. I hope that never happens again....but I am sure it will.

I could see a service being useful if you absolutely want an item and cannot be at a computer/iPhone/Droid/etc when the auction is coming to a close.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    a sniper service is most beneficial because it doesnt bid through the entire auction, one bid win or lose, rather than overpaying because some yahoo wanted to run the high bid throughout the auction only to lose at the end. i also like it from the perspective that i load the sniper and basically forget about it, and i enjoy the added benefit of changing my bid up down, or deleting it altogether, at any time until the last 6 minutes of the auction, independant of ebay.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

<< <i>a sniper service is most beneficial because it doesnt bid through the entire auction, one bid win or lose, rather than overpaying because some yahoo wanted to run the high bid throughout the auction only to lose at the end. i also like it from the perspective that i load the sniper and basically forget about it, and i enjoy the added benefit of changing my bid up down, or deleting it altogether, at any time until the last 6 minutes of the auction, independant of ebay. >>

I think you may be missing the concept of an auction and how they work. I fail to see how an early bidder is therefore a yahoo who will see to it others overpay.They bid and win or lose.
  • Options
    i completely understand the concept a true auction, you bid for the lot, as it is, no safety net with paypal no negative feedback if you decide later that you paid too much, ETC ebay is not a good example of a "true auction" a YAHOO that maintains the high bid throughout the auction is doing little more than building up the price that someone else is going to pay. perhaps you shoud re-read my response as it seems that you are reading your words into my sentences. i did not say an early bidder was a yahoo, i said a bidder that runs the high bid throughout the auction is a yahoo. only an idiot will keep bidding throughout a timed auction just to maintain high bid, in the event that he does win, he will only have run up the price on himself and thus paid for the honor of being the high bidder throughout the entire auction in addition to the item won. poor bidding strategy, and almost always a bidder that will want some type of deduction because he realizes he paid too much but doesnt understand why.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do my own sniping... and have never lost an item I wanted. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    i prefer a sniper program because i dont always bring my computer to my favorite fishing spot.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i prefer a sniper program because i dont always bring my computer to my favorite fishing spot. >>

My cell phone doesn't even work there isn't it great. And I'll add that I use Auction Sniper it's not free and I feel it is secure.
  • Options

<< <i>i completely understand the concept a true auction, you bid for the lot, as it is, no safety net with paypal no negative feedback if you decide later that you paid too much, ETC ebay is not a good example of a "true auction" a YAHOO that maintains the high bid throughout the auction is doing little more than building up the price that someone else is going to pay. perhaps you shoud re-read my response as it seems that you are reading your words into my sentences. i did not say an early bidder was a yahoo, i said a bidder that runs the high bid throughout the auction is a yahoo. only an idiot will keep bidding throughout a timed auction just to maintain high bid, in the event that he does win, he will only have run up the price on himself and thus paid for the honor of being the high bidder throughout the entire auction in addition to the item won. poor bidding strategy, and almost always a bidder that will want some type of deduction because he realizes he paid too much but doesnt understand why. >>

One question : If an item is at auction with a start of lets say 99c , a bidder puts in a bid of lets say $50 as thats his value on it and max bid , ok , are you with me this far ? Ok , the next bidder comes along and bids $1.99 , the first bidder automatically outbids the 2nd bidder and maintains tha lead , do you follow the way it works ?
    I can only assume they are yahoos and idots because they bid on something you want cheap , is that correct ?
  • Options
    if bidder A bids a dollar, then bidder B bids $2 and bidder A bids $3 and bdder A continuously outbids everyone throughout the auction, (that is what i regard as outbidding other bidders) not bidding once and BEING the high bid, i mean keep raising your bid until you feel certain you have won only to be sniped in the end. read what is typed here, dont read anything into it, dont assume anything, just read what is here. that should be less confusing to you.
  • Options
    The definition of an auction is competing bidders , i understand it bothers you that these "yahoos" outbid you but it doesnt make them idiots as you so charmingly put it.
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I've never messed with sniping programs not to say they are a bad idea just never really felt the need. If I'm going to be around for the end of an auction I will bid with a few seconds left, If not I put in my highest bid and let it ride not to say I don't often find I've lost that auction by dollar or 2 but that doesn't mean if I was around to bid a dollar higher then that I would have won anyway. Plus that defeats the whole purpose of my highest bid.
  • Options
    james murray you are obviously an idiot, i dont believe i stated that anyone outbid me on anything, please dont try and read something into the post that isnt there, no one outbid me on anything, i am expressing my opinion, just as you are expressing your ignorance of what the post is about, stop reading your stupidity into my responses. my point is that a bidder can have the high bid throughout the entire auction, but he cant manually bid again once he is outbid with 2 seconds to go, please stop trying to tell me i was outbid on something, if you cant keep up with the conversation, then dont include yourself.
  • Options

<< <i>james murray you are obviously an idiot, i dont believe i stated that anyone outbid me on anything, please dont try and read something into the post that isnt there, no one outbid me on anything, i am expressing my opinion, just as you are expressing your ignorance of what the post is about, stop reading your stupidity into my responses. my point is that a bidder can have the high bid throughout the entire auction, but he cant manually bid again once he is outbid with 2 seconds to go, please stop trying to tell me i was outbid on something, if you cant keep up with the conversation, then dont include yourself. >>

Personal attacks now is it ? You might busy yourself reading the forum guidelines if you ask me , i noticed you flaming other threads telling folk to get a life. I think we all get your little point about sniping.
  • Options
    you werent attacking me, but i was attacking you. you should busy yourself practicing some of what you preach.
  • Options
    I'll refer you to rule number 3 , if you have nothing positive to add it's sometimes wise to read and say little.
  • Options
    excellent advice, you should consider following it yourself
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The definition of an auction is competing bidders , i understand it bothers you that these "yahoos" outbid you but it doesnt make them idiots as you so charmingly put it. >>

Hi James, the point 'ebaybidder' was making about bidders who are dumb jerks are those who bid repeatedly, making numerous separate bids, not recognizing the most elementary auction strategy on ebay. They usually start out not knowing how much an item is worth, and don't know how much they are willing to bid. Then, if you are high bidder, they will bid repeatedly, inching up the bid a little at a time, until they have overtopped your last bid. Or if they were the high bidder, and someone else bids higher, they will bid again as soon as possible, in order to be temporarily high bidder again, instead of waiting to almost the end of the auction.

What they are doing is in effect trying to steal someone else's knowledge, apparently thinking that if someone else is willing to bid $52, it must also be worth $53.

They also cause harm to competing bidders by increasing the bid count on an item, which attracts attention.

Of course, if you are a seller, you love those types of bidders for obvious reasons, and ebay also likes them. But they are a scourge for bidders hoping to get something reasonably.

New inexperienced ebay bidders should be forgiven for those types of errors, but there are some very long time ebayers, guys who've been around for ten years or more, who still bid that way, and I have to agree with ebaybidder they are idiots. They win only very few items for themselves, and the few they win are usually overpaid for. Their bids are mostly nuisance bids. Don't take this explanation personally, but just try to follow the reasoning to its logical conclusion.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The definition of an auction is competing bidders , i understand it bothers you that these "yahoos" outbid you but it doesnt make them idiots as you so charmingly put it. >>

Hi James, the point 'ebaybidder' was making about bidders who are dumb jerks are those who bid repeatedly, making numerous separate bids, not recognizing the most elementary auction strategy on ebay. They usually start out not knowing how much an item is worth, and don't know how much they are willing to bid. Then, if you are high bidder, they will bid repeatedly, inching up the bid a little at a time, until they have overtopped your last bid. Or if they were the high bidder, and someone else bids higher, they will bid again as soon as possible, in order to be temporarily high bidder again, instead of waiting to almost the end of the auction.

What they are doing is in effect trying to steal someone else's knowledge, apparently thinking that if someone else is willing to bid $52, it must also be worth $53.

They also cause harm to competing bidders by increasing the bid count on an item, which attracts attention.

Of course, if you are a seller, you love those types of bidders for obvious reasons, and ebay also likes them. But they are a scourge for bidders hoping to get something reasonably.

New inexperienced ebay bidders should be forgiven for those types of errors, but there are some very long time ebayers, guys who've been around for ten years or more, who still bid that way, and I have to agree with ebaybidder they are idiots. They win only very few items for themselves, and the few they win are usually overpaid for. Their bids are mostly nuisance bids. Don't take this explanation personally, but just try to follow the reasoning to its logical conclusion. >>

Thank you Botanist for a well reasoned explanation , i had figured out the root of the complaint being it costing snipers money , as a powerseller i have little sympathy : ) Thanks for helping put it to rest
  • Options
    i cannot even come up with a response that does not insult you or showcase your obvious refusal to believe that my point has N O T H I N G to do with costing snipers anything. go ahead and twist this up to suit your own version of my point, if it satisfies you to bask in your incorrect assumption of the point im trying to make then feel free to do so.
  • Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    now it makes sense. my apologies, i was thinking you were an adult.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

New inexperienced ebay bidders should be forgiven for those types of errors, but there are some very long time ebayers, guys who've been around for ten years or more, who still bid that way, and I have to agree with ebaybidder they are idiots. They win only very few items for themselves, and the few they win are usually overpaid for. Their bids are mostly nuisance bids. Don't take this explanation personally, but just try to follow the reasoning to its logical conclusion. >>

Thank you Botanist for a well reasoned explanation , i had figured out the root of the complaint being it costing snipers money , as a powerseller i have little sympathy : ) Thanks for helping put it to rest >>

Hi again James, Thanks for replying so kindly. Yes, as a seller, your interests are basically opposite to bidders, so you have no complaints about those types of bidders. It's only a valid complaint among bidders. I sometimes see a bidder who doesn't use sniping services, and who is going away on a trip where he can't monitor ebay, and if there's an item he really likes, he'll make a nuclear bid, meaning an extremely high bid, let's say $500. Then some jerk of a bidder comes along and bids 25 times on that item, increasing the bid one increment at a time, but quitting at say $300. In reality, most of the time those bidders who inch things up are cheapskates, and he quit at $300 just because he never spends that much on any coin, no matter how rare or valuable, even though he has plenty of spare cash. There are now 26 bids on that coin, and ebay then starts giving it prominence among the most active items. The jerk bidder who made all those superfluous bids probably enjoys doing it, he likes causing interference, just for the sake of pretending he is somebody important.

Another bidding scenario: You've discovered something on ebay that almost everybody else missed, either you were more thorough in searching, using different key words, or searching by misspelled words, or you saw something about the coin that the seller wasn't aware of, and then the nuisance bidder finds it also, and calls attention to it by making plural bids, bidding himself up, as ebay asks you to do. Say it's a $50 item, the nuisance bidder bids $10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20, making the item stand out. You end up winning the item for $45 instead of $25, because the nuisance bidder tends to negate any expertise you have.

If you look at the won auctions of the nuisance bidder, expect to find him winning a bunch of auctions at very low amounts, even one cent. He bids on a lot of auctions where the seller starts the bidding at one cent to save on listing fees, and he wins some of them when nobody wants the coin. Those are usually the types of coins you see at coin shows and shops in cardboard boxes being sold for maybe 15 cents each, and ten for a dollar.

I'm not using my imagination to describe these guys, all are true stories.

• Options
    i am impressed, you know how to cut and paste. wow not exactly sure what your motive is, as you said, if you have nothing positive to add it's sometimes wise to read and say little, im guessing that doesnt apply to you, just everyone else ?
  • Options
    I'll inch up bids for items I don't want with my favorite sellers. is that wrong?
  • Options
    I'll inch up bids for items I don't want with my favorite sellers. is that wrong?
  • Options
    according to ebay rules that would be shill bidding, in reality, if you are aware that you are doing it, it really doesnt make much difference, the point i was trying to make is there are bidders that run the price up the entire time and in the end only end up costing themselves more money then if they had just sniped the item, and they dont realize they are doing it. somehow that was twisted into me paying too much for an item i hoped to get for 99c opening bid, i dont know, im over it, i know what my point was regardless of who twists it around into something that it isnt. corral all of your friends into your corner, makes no difference, come one come all, my opinion is unchanged. i am not going to be bullied by anyone, certainly at the hands of someone hiding behind thier monitor.
  • Options
    I too snipe on my own rhythm. I win when I bid enough, otherwise I lose. So be it.

As to conspiracy, fu-ged-abod-it. Camera's everywhere. Keystrokes, screens captured. Sounds like a conspiracy but nobody is in control theys just protecting their ASSets. image You must live as a man, with no worry about the mark your foot steps make. Otherwise you better become a mole and crawl underground. Me? I prefer to stomp on the terra firma.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file