Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If The Three Stooges Were Coin Collectors, Which One Would You Be?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
Moe: Wears a coat and tie to every coin show. Squeezes every last dime out of all negotiations. Likes to see fellow collectors suffer misfortune.

Larry: Happy go lucky, has no problem with picking up the crumbs from Moe. Not worried about losing money as long as a coin is "cool."

Curly: The maverick collector - goes after darkside and other oddball stuff. Known to lose control if something excites him too much.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'm Larry... no really, I'm Larry. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Even before this discussion, I've always thought I had the most in common with Moe. He was definitely a first-child.

Timeless stuff.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best - Swingin' the alphabet

We were kids when this was on TV...I'll never forget this catchy tune.
    Don't watch if you have songs that get stuck in your head!!!
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Dunno, but Moe was the original TPG-he was always "slabbing" whatever Curly offered.

Broadstruck, love the "got nyuk".
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moe: Are you a man or a mouse?
    Joe: Squeak, Squeak.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Shemp - collector of slightly damaged keys in ANACS holders image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ed Rochette once told me a story about when he and his first wife were vacationing in Honolulu in the early 1960's they met Moe Howard at their hotel. He invited them to dinner, and they met that night and went to a fancy restaurant. They had a great time listening to his stories, and when the check came he excused himself to go to the bathroom. He never came back, and stuck them with the check.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Curly, we have the same birthday.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ed Rochette once told me a story about when he and his first wife were vacationing in Honolulu in the early 1960's they met Moe Howard at their hotel. He invited them to dinner, and they met that night and went to a fancy restaurant. They had a great time listening to his stories, and when the check came he excused himself to go to the bathroom. He never came back, and stuck them with the check.
    TD >>

Was there a David at the table??? image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the one always getting poked in the eye.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Well, let's see.....I guess I'll be uh, umm......curly!!!!! image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    Moe, Larry the cheese!!
    Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Why does no one ever want to be Shemp or Curly Joe!!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does no one ever want to be Shemp or Curly Joe!! >>

In real life Shemp was the brother of Moe & Curly and was said to be the funniest in person.

Of Curly Joe, the less said the better.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i'm mo

zeppa!
  • Options
    Now how is one supposed to cherry pick with Curly?

Eric image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's Smoe?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    No one has mentioned Joe Bessler?
    I think I know why.
    Yes, Moe. Curly, and Shemp were brothers. There's only ONE film in which Moe, Larry, Curly, AND Shemp were in.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    I didn't know there was a fourth , i always get them mixed up with the Marx bros too doh

A sidenote , i was reading the news on google and a headline appeared "Charlie Sheen dead at 45" , i clicked it but it gave me a page 404 error and after two or three tries the headline disappeared. I hope it's not true , i know he's a jerk but still..
  • Options
    The "3rd Stooge" were in order:
    Shemp
    Curly
    Shemp again
    Joe Bessler
    Curly Joe.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the above.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

For those in the Philadelphia area there is a "STOOGEUM" run by a grandson of one of the Stooges. It's free, it's open tomorrow Jan. 29 2011.
    Oh it's at 904 Sheble Lane Ambler, PA. I've been there it's a fun place to visit.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm Larry. It fits me.
    Larry

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I can see there are a few serious Stooges fans here. Tootawl knew Shemp was in the act before Curly and that's pretty obscure trivia right there.

I'd be Larry. Easygoing, fun to be around, and usually isn't the target of violence.

Moe would probably get booted out of show after show. Remember, he was the one who once said to Shemp, "Would you rather have a shoe full of dollar bills, or two socks of fives?" And poor Shemp said he'd take the two socks.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭
    I'd be Larry for sure.

Joe (Larry)
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Yes, Moe. Curly, and Shemp were brothers. There's only ONE film in which Moe, Larry, Curly, AND Shemp were in. >>

"Hold that Lion"
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the pleasure to see Moe two times doing his act. Id just started to drive...and it was in Delran NJ I think....he came out, his hair neatly combed, and then said "Maybe you dont know me"..and then brushed it down into the "moe". He done the "niagra falls" routine...

For a few months, I was writing back and forth to Larry Fine. He was in the Motion Picture Actors Country Home in Woodland HIlls, Ca, He was so poor you had to enclose a stamp for him to use to reply. The letters were handwritten in tiny cursive...and I do NOT know what happened to them. I was sure Id find them again when I cleaned out my parents attic...but no luck. He told me he was doing his vaudeville act and was on the stage in my little home town when he was notified that his wife had just given birth to one of their daughters!!

Most people dont know that Moe was in love with movies, and actually had a small part in an early film, in 1909.

I often wonder what the Stooges, or Arbuckle....thought when they went to a screening of "the Masters" work. Charlie Chaplin.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id have to go with larry as well. shemp would be 2nd, hes seems good to have around
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Yes, Moe. Curly, and Shemp were brothers. There's only ONE film in which Moe, Larry, Curly, AND Shemp were in. -- "Hold that Lion" >>

Here's a publicity photo from that movie... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Curly and I have the same birthday. I think I'm him reincarnated.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Curly all the way.
  • Options
    Just think, if it wasn't for Ted Healy, there would be no Three Stooges.

If you don't know who Ted Healy is,
    1 - You really do not know your Three Stooges history.
    2 - Google and Bing can be your best friend.

• Options

<< <i>Larry

For those in the Philadelphia area there is a "STOOGEUM" run by a grandson of one of the Stooges. It's free, it's open tomorrow Jan. 29 2011.
    Oh it's at 904 Sheble Lane Ambler, PA. I've been there it's a fun place to visit. >>

I think I see a road trip in my future.
    A Three Stooges museum AND Philly cheese steaks from Tony Lukes and Jim's!! That would make a hell of a day trip!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As everyone may remember, I was the one testing the new "almost" waterproof sample PCGS slab in my water glass at the ANA PCGS luncheon!!!

I would probably be Curly fighting the PCGS slab AND the oyster in the soup bowl!!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the best - Swingin' the alphabet

We were kids when this was on TV...I'll never forget this catchy tune.
    Don't watch if you have songs that get stuck in your head!!! >>

That song was one of the best. Thank you for the reminder!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Three Stooges were coin collectors I would be Mae West.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As everyone may remember, I was the one testing the new "almost" waterproof sample PCGS slab in my water glass at the ANA PCGS luncheon!!!

I would probably be Curly fighting the PCGS slab AND the oyster in the soup bowl!!! >>

Larry did the same "oyster soup" bid one of the other shorts. I can't tell you which one.

I suppose I've have to be Moe because I can be too fussy as a collector sometimes.

And yes, I know who Ted Healy was and perhaps there would have been no Three Stooges without him, but they were definitely better off once they WERE without him.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file