Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this coin look like a MS65?

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know how to grade these but there seems to be a lot of activity in the obv fields.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks UNCish.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to tell from the images.

Bruce
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's impossible to tell from the images.

Bruce >>

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on those images I lean toward yes. The spot on the face bothers me though.
    I believe I would want to see it before I handed over 34 grand.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does not look original at all.

NO sticker.

and no 65 either
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's probably got ' knock out ' luster from a recent dip that bumps up an ms64 coin to an ms65.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>does not look original at all.

NO sticker.

and no 65 either >>

Agreed. The luster is really off.

-Paul
  • Options
    It looks like it has been NCSed. The hit on the cheek will grow in the owner's mind until he hates the coin and sells it, unless he's one of them thar rich guys from Texas who never looks at the coin more than once before it goes into the "bunker".
  • Options
    Jeez, I would ask you that question. To me, comparing to my dimes, albeit from the 1860's, my MS62's seem a little better than that coin. Way too much in the fields for GEM, IMO. If it was a Roosevelt, it would not be in a GEM holder.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ngc65.....that means really 63 or so!

No way that is a GEM!
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

NO

brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think its a 65. Kinda hard to tell with the pics. jmho
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would need to see that coin in hand. The images are nearly impossible to grade from. The graders saw it in hand, and it's tough to dispute 3 graders when all I have is a washed out image to go by,

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...but my standard for 65 is usually found in TPG 66 holders. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images look fine to me. Nothing you can't see here. I wish all auction photos were as a nice and easy to evaluate.

The hit on the cheek to me is a non-issue and considered alone might limit the coin to 66. More concerned with the chatter in the right obv field which is the only concern.
    Has the look of a freshly minted dime and therefore won't appeal to purists who want original skin. Technically to me a 64++ but I can see
    why it's in a 65 holder. I remember seeing the Norweb 1858-0 dime which had a number of obvious scattered hits all over Miss Liberty. I graded that coin MS64- because of that.
    It graded MS65 at NGC because it had good luster and orig surfaces. It eventually crossed as well. This 1844 has far less marks. I know if I owned this 1844 in a MS64 holder I'd always be thinking why it couldn't be a 65. image

It's not like these grow on trees. And the MS62-65's of most better date early seated dimes (1840-1849) tend to be pretty dullish and ugly. Gem 1840's dimes just aren't around with full mint luster and zero rub. This one has luster to spare and is an 1844....not a more common 41,42,43,45. The other dates are all quite tough in gem. The chatter in the right obv field has slightly disturbed the overall flow. The flat part of the rim is a little smooth and shows some handling and lack of obvious luster which only indicates the coin is not a superb gem.

Regardless, both services have graded dozens of MS65 stars obv dimes (1840-1859) that are no better than this one. You want a perfect, hands down, no one-would-ever-question gem?....then pay up for the 1844 in PCGS MS66. I doubt the other MS65's out there are any better than this one. Interesting that of the 4 MS65's, 3 of those are PCGS. Would have expected it to be the other way around.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    All I see are small marks blown out of proportion by the size of the images; yes it's a 65 in my book (of most importance to me is the quality of the strike, and the stars all look good as well as the hair detail).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Images look fine to me. Nothing you can't see here.

The hit on the cheek to me is a non-issue. More concerned with the chatter in the right obv field which is the only concern.
    Has the look of a freshly minted dime and therefore won't appeal to purists who want original skin. Technically to me a 64++ but I can see
    why it's in a 65 holder. I remember seeing the Norweb 1858-0 dime which had a number of obvious scattered hits all over Miss Liberty. I graded that coin MS64- because of that.
    It graded MS65 at NGC because it had good luster and orig surfaces. It eventually crossed as well. This 1844 has far less marks. I know if I owned this 1844 in a MS64 holder I'd always be thinking why it couldn't be a 65. image

It's not like these grow on trees. And the MS62-65's of most better date early seated dimes (1840-1849) tend to be pretty dullish and ugly. Gem 1840's dimes just aren't around with full mint luster and zero rub. This one has luster to spare and is an 1844....not a more common 41,42,43,45. The other dates are all quite tough in gem. The chatter is the right obv field has slightly disturbed the overall flow. Regardless, both services have graded dozens of MS65 stars obv dimes that are no better than this one. You want a perfect, hands down, no one-would-ever-question gem?....then pay up for the PCGS MS66.

roadrunner >>

I defer to this guy, as he really knows this series... but for my own tastes, I don't think I would feel very satisfied owning a coin that was that old but looked that new... it has definitely been 'conserved.'
  • Options
    There's an amazing and nearly fully white 1838 no drapery 25cin MS68 out there that is absolutely incredible. Looks like it was made yesterday. One of the few early seated coins I've seen where I wouldn't mind owning something not toned. But, I too prefer toned specimens in nearly every case. But there are always exceptions. If it came down to it that the other 3 MS65 1844 dimes were either ugly, dull, spotted, rubbed, etc....then I'd settle for the conserved one that had none of those issues. The most important issue is whether a coin is really fully mint state as opposed to "appearing" that way because of pretty toning, flashy surfaces, etc.

Fwiw a number of seated dimes in the hoard years of 1857-1859 do come almost pure white. They are only 15 yrs later than the 1844. And most fully original early seated dimes come with fairly thick toning that mutes the luster a shade...as well as often resulting in one grade less at the TPG's. If your early seated dime doesn't have fairly thick toning more than likely it was dipped long ago and has since retoned. Most gem 1840's dimes have made MS65 either of two ways: they are superb MS66's with thick toning that were net graded to 65, or they were dipped to help showcase the luster. Of course the dipped coins will show many more marks and chatter than the original ones do. Would sure have loved to see what the 1844 looked like before conservation. Wouldn't have been surprised if the coin were a steely deep blue or dark brown.

roadrunner
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a really nice coin, but no MS-65 IMO. There is the mark on the cheek, and couple of marks in the field. The kicker though is that it has been dipped. Usually you don't get an MS-65 from our hosts for dipped silver coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Im sure its a nice coin, I dont see any hits, and I have bought coins from Stacks and am very pleased with them, but some of their images look like drawings and this is one example of that. You just have to have faith, but I dont know if faith is worth $34,500

Edited to add that I just bought Lot 5968, the 1787 New Jersey Maris 42-c image
  • Options
    It's a really nice coin, but no MS-65 IMO. There is the mark on the cheek, and couple of marks in the field. The kicker though is that it has been dipped. Usually you don't get an MS-65 from our hosts for dipped silver coins.

Our hosts most certainly reward white and blazing 19th century type coins that have been dipped. In fact these coins will usually receive higher grades than average toned original coins with muted luster. The exception is a point bump when those toned coins have beautiful color. What doesn't get rewarded are coins that have been dipped multiple times in their lives and have washed out mint luster. The 1844 dime does not have washed out luster. The fact that so many formerly toned 19th century coins are now white clearly supports that blazing white luster trumps average toned original coins. NCS didn't come about because everyone is enthralled with dusky original 19th century coins. My preference too is to buy 66 coins in 65 holders. But I almost never find them. As shorecoll suggested earlier, one usually needs to start looking at MS66 holders for "all-there, no questions" gem seated coins. And if one is particularly fussy, then starting with MS67 holders. This 1844 dime would have graded 64 twenty years ago because of the scuffs and chatter in that right obv field....possibly even 63 on a tougher day. While I personally still like those early standards, it's not market reality any more. While this coin is not worth $34K to me, apparently at least 2 people thought otherwise.

roadrunner
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>It's a really nice coin, but no MS-65 IMO. There is the mark on the cheek, and couple of marks in the field. The kicker though is that it has been dipped. Usually you don't get an MS-65 from our hosts for dipped silver coins. >>

What? Bill, did you really write that? I see plenty of dipped PCGS MS65 (and 66 and 67) silver coins, and would guess that most people who attend shows and auctions, have, as well.

Edited to add: And as a matter of fact, i believe that the PCGS MS68+ 1901-S Barber Quarter has been dipped, and here is a PCGS MS68 No Drapery Quarter, which looks to have been dipped:

See here
  • Options
    Geez Mark, that white MS68 1838 nd quarter is even CAC'd. image

One of the all-time coolest seated type coins in existence. 100% luster - absolutely no trace of high point rub - nicely struck for a ND...esp the centers - and nearly mark free.

roadrunner
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Geez Mark, that white MS68 1838 nd quarter is even CAC'd. image

One of the all-time coolest seated type coins in existence.

roadrunner >>

I agree, but I wish it weren't dipped-white.
  • Options
    I'd like it toned as well, but the likely reason both this coin and the 1901-s quarter were dipped is that they couldn't get a grade higher than 67 otherwise. While I'd have no problem grading a toned and slightly muted luster coin a 68, the grading services typically do not. The Vermuelle MS67 1893-s dollar is another such coin. Absolutely unquestioned 68 surfaces and luster imo, but the TPG grade is only 67 due to mottled toning. For every one of these that gets the nod to upgrade following a dipping, there are probably several others that come out looking worse. I'd venture a guess that the 1844 dime probably couldn't grade higher than MS64 when it was original.

But don't worry Mark. In another 20-50 yrs both of these quarters will be toned again. But then, new owners will debate whether they need to be dipped yet again to remove the unsightly brownish mottled toning.

roadrunner
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Would look better in a genuine holder...
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From those images I would say not but three professional graders at NGC all of which can probably grade better than me seemed to think so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file