Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfiet 1853 gold $1 on ebay

HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
I was looking at this auction and to me the coin appears counterfiet:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGNIFICIENT-SPLENDID-1-Dollar-gold-usa-1853-MS60-63-/280619353696?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4156378660

The beading is all wrong around the obverse, the top of the 5 is too long and the berries to the right of the date are placed higher then originals.

I'm sure there are other factors but I haven't looked long.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's not even close.

One way to protect yourself from buying a counterfeit is to know what the design of the real thing looks like. Here is an example of the real thing.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the girl looks dead. youd be surprised how good a counterfeit checker that can be!

imageimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the seller has a blue star the "coin" is "MAGNIFICIENT SPLENDID." image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I know buying raw especially gold dollars on ebay is a minefield but it makes for some interesting discussion.

Has anyone ever compiled a database or a book of counterfiet $1 gold coins?

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are MANY different types of counterfiets and these have been produced from 'back in the day' to semi modern fakes out of Lebanon.

Fivaz pictures a great many, as does Lonesome John Devane.....but no book will ever have them all.

It is a minefield...and I was 'blown up' three times. Thankfully, all the sellers graciously accepted returns...since it appears they were 'taken' also.

• Options
    Removed. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file