Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Planchet crack

Does a planchet crack, either very faint or an actual crack that gets into the body of the coin, affect marketability or price? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sold cracked planchet errors for significant premiums. But, it depends upon the coin and the extent of the crack.

Last year I sold a common date Peace in an NGC holder, MS-63, for $500.00. It had about a half-inch crack at 6:00.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does a planchet crack, either very faint or an actual crack that gets into the body of the coin, affect marketability or price? Thanks >>

error collectors normally pay a premium, especially if acknowledged by reputable grading company. I got over $400 for this raw James Monroe dollar when they were first released by the mint:

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends upon the coin.

If it is a modern piece it qualifies as a mint error (poorly annealed planchet) and could sell for a high price, especially if it's an error coin that seldom gets out the mint like a half dollar or dollar.

If it is an early U.S. coin, it’s a killer. I’ve seen a few 18th and 19th coins and tokens on cracked planchets, and I would not get near them. I remember a dealer had a very rare variety of a Hard Times token on a cracked planchet. He had forever because no one wanted to take a chance on it. It looked like it was about to split in half, which if it did, the thing would be worth a tiny fraction of the asking price.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file