Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did anyone watch Barry Chappell on Art & Coin TV sell 1973-S Silver Proof Ikes?

Ok I admit, sometimes when nothing else is on TV, I like to watch the coin shows. Please forgive me, but it is just for entertainment factor. Anyway, last night on Art & Coin TV Barry Chappell was selling a ton of 1973-S Silver Proof Ikes, either individually or in rolls. It was one of those hour long segments where that item is the pitch. Anyway, after many chuckles about various comments, he actually said.......In a few years, this will be a $500 or even $1000 coin. image

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok I admit, sometimes when nothing else is on TV, I like to watch the coin shows. Please forgive me, but it is just for entertainment factor. Anyway, last night on Art & Coin TV Barry Chappell was selling a ton of 1973-S Silver Proof Ikes, either individually or in rolls. It was one of those hour long segments where that item is the pitch. Anyway, after many chuckles about various comments, he actually said.......In a few years, this will be a $500 or even $1000 coin. image >>

That is funny and so far from the truth!

The fact is, if these were gonna command that amount of money....................it would have happened by now!

Matter of fact, when these were first released and it was obvious that they had low mintages (1,013,646 compared to 4,265,234 for the 71-S and 1,811,631 for the 72-S), AND there would be no 1973 coins released for circulation except through Mint Sets, many sold for $100 each. Some for $150 each.

But those days are long gone!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    wow! Can we consider that false advertising?
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really funny too when he showed the mintage in the Red Book and you could easily see the PR-65 value of $45 and then they were selling them for $69 each claiming it was the world's greatest deal ever! But all joking aside, it isn't funny if a person sitting at home does not know any better. One can easy say buyer beware yadda yadda, but I felt just kinda gross after watching it for a while.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    It just makes me sick to see them scam would be collectors out of there money. It hurts them, but more importantly it hurts what we love most future collectors!!!!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    "In a few years, this will be a $500 or even $1000 coin."

Wonder how they define "a few"?
  • Options

<< <i>"In a few years, this will be a $500 or even $1000 coin."

Wonder how they define "a few"? >>

Given the current market on Ikes, it's looking like a couple of centuries before that value is realized.
  • Options

<< <i>

Given the current market on Ikes, it's looking like a couple of centuries before that value is realized. >>

Not with inflation taken into account. Probably closer to a century. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow! Can we consider that false advertising? >>

yeah, pretty much so image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Given the current market on Ikes, it's looking like a couple of centuries before that value is realized. >>

Not with inflation taken into account. Probably closer to a century. image >>

The coin will never be worth $500 or even $1000 unless there is a mass melting where 980,000 get melted as the series is just not that popular amongst coin dealers.

Most folks do have an interest in the coin due to its size and the fact that you rarely see them but once they get to the coin dealers shop, their interest quickly fades.

I don't understand why since:

1. The design is just as pleasing as any other dead president design. I mean seriously, the only difference is that IKE was nearly bald (or at least appeared that way) while the other dead presidents have a beard or wigs. The exceptions are Roosevelt and Franklin with Franklin having those long flowing locks.

2. The reverse design is certainly more pleasing than the Lincoln Memorial, Jeffferson's Monticello, or even the Franklin Half whose Eagle looks like an after thought! The only real comparitive reverses would be Roosevelts Torch and Washingtons Eagle. However, that Washington Eagle Reverse is completely dominated by those wings which, to me, appear just a smidge out of proportion with the body of the bird.

Folks often criticize the Reverse Design of the IKE by pointing out the fact that an Eagle simply could not land on the Moon, which is true, but then the image is meant to be symbolic since the "Eagle" Lunar Lander DID land on the moon. BTW, when was the last time you saw an eagle standing around with a clutch of arrows except in some symbolic image?

3. The size of the coin is fairly impressive and as everybody knows, bigger is better! LOL! (The Godzilla of Coins! image )
    The same was true of the older silver dollars (which BTW, never circulated either) except, in the case of the IKE, the silver content simply never measured up to what was once available at the local bank. Perhaps thats the real reason folks are not enamored with the IKE but then are folks bullion collectors or coin collectors?

4. Appearance. While the copper nickel clad coins don't seem to have the same presentation in circulated condition as 90% silver coins, ask yourself, are they really all that different? I mean, on a daily basis the boards get flooded with photo's or scans of some really nice Uncirculated or Toned coins so the general impression would be that all those silver coins are gorgeous. The reality could not be further from the truth since a well worn Barber Half looks just as bad as a CN clad circulated IKE. Some do not even have the appearance of being silver.

Personally, I think folks don't care for the Eisenhower Dollar simply because not enough high grade, good looking coins are around for them to look at due to the fact that they have such a relatively low cost to weight ratio that dealers just don't cart them around! It makes sense to me since I'd much rather carry a roll of Morgans which I could sell at roughly $450 in circulated condition (bullion value) than a roll of IKE's I'd have to throw at someone to get them to take them! But then again, what difference does it really make? Are folks more enamored by the silver than the actual coin?

Whatever.

There are a few die hard IKE fans that do look at the coins (circulated or not) and are building a library of die varieties similar to VAMs that will hopefully get published in the near future. When that happens, hopefully folks will pay more attention to the coin for its real worth. That of a collectible.

As a last thought, regardless of what the collecting appeal might be, those 73-S Silver Proofs will still never be worth $500 unless they are a specific die variety (FS-101, FS-102, etc.) or an error coin of some type. image

<end of plug>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Those hucksters are really talented.

Last week I went to a mid aged ladies home and she sold me lots of gold (about 4 oz gold)and sterling jewelry, along with all of her pile of silver coins she had acquired years ago.

She proudly showed me junk 24k plated medals and 24k foil gold stamps etc. Said she wouldn't sell those to me she said, just wanted me to see them. She's on subscriptions to buy them monthly. Claims she's keeping all the good stuff because that's what she will be selling to fund her retirement. She didn't seem to have a clue that I just bought her good stuff.

I usually can get an impression from people if they would listen to my valuation of the junk or if it would do no good. Many people are so sold on the junk that I know it would do no good. I used to attempt explaining to everyone how they were wasting money til I was blue in the face. But for some I can tell that my word means nothing when compared to what a TV personality has to say on the subject. I don't even try anymore. It's really sad and disgusting what those tv shucksters are allowed to do.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen those shows and can't believe people would overpay so much on all the coins they sell!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    1973-S proof silver Ikes were $150 coins in the mid 1970s. With inflation, $500 today would not be an untruth.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>1973-S proof silver Ikes were $150 coins in the mid 1970s. With inflation, $500 today would not be an untruth. >>

Frank, I think you're mixing realities again! imageimage
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i><end of plug> >>

you do know a lot about Ikes for sure.

thanks for your purge, it was interesting.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1973-S proof silver Ikes were $150 coins in the mid 1970s. With inflation, $500 today would not be an untruth. >>

Frank, truthfully....... tongue in cheek...can i sell you my gold @ $2300 an ounce today, then?

trippy
  • Options

If that was the case then the going rate for the 1973 proof and unc. mint sets, today, would be going for more than $9 and $15 respectively.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file