Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a doctored coin?

Link

That has turned in the holder?
BST Transactions;
Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855

Comments

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe..
    My first impression is that the coin probably has nicer color than what is shown. However, whatever that "splash" is, sure makes it ugly.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call it more of an "ugly coin."

If it really looks like that in person, I can't believe that it looked like that when PCGS slabbed more than a decade ago. (It's in a green label holder.) I would have thought that it would have been BB'd for environmental damge.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doctored, No. Fugly, yes. Looks like a coin that could be a buy-back candidate. Not sure they would want such a thing in one of their holders.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Yes, that's holder wear from a doctored coin. It typically appears on the obverse side, because that's the up-side, and, as such, it's the side that's exposed to the greater light, which, of course, as most experts would concede, is the determining factor.

OK, tongue back out of cheek. Really, I'm just a coin collector, I'm not a detective...
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it was dipped and then not properly rinsed.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Described correctly as a "MONSTER"

: something monstrous; especially : a person/coin of unnatural or extreme ugliness, deformity, wickedness, or cruelty
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    HMM, Thanks for the replies. Trying to learn a little here and it looked to me like putty on the coin, hard to tell from pic. Needless to say I wouldn't buy it anyways!
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>It looks like it was dipped and then not properly rinsed. >>

The toning on the other areas of the coin does not look as if it is the result of re-toning after a dipping. So my guess is that that area is not the result of dipping.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    She has bad breath and it is drifting as a cloud around her.image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Not doctored.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Wow....Makes you wonder if ricko will click the link and puke on his computer when the image pops up image
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If not,,,,,, sure looks like she needs a Doctor
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butt ugly!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like cat puke.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting. The only explanation I can come up with is that someone spilled Jeweluster on it after it toned, removing the toning in that area.
    If that is the case though I'm surprised it holdered.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. Put a cigarette in Liberty's mouth and it might look natural.

That coin should be returned to PCGS. I doubt he'll get $140 from them, though.
    Lance.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    In his description it's like he ignored that huge thing.
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file