Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Popularity of the Registry Sets

There are, at the moment, a couple of threads about 1953 Proof Sets on the Forum. It got me to thinking I have had an 1953 Proof Set listed on the Registry for years now. Just went to check on how its fared over the years. I have not upgraded or downgraded the set and it is as I purchased it 10 or 12 years ago. When I first registered the set it was in the top 10, 6th I think. It now resides in 61st place. Oh well, time and deep pockets.

Ron

Edited to add: the grades on the coins are 65 red, 67, 67, 67, 65.
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, I hear ya! I thought I could easily get a #2 or 3 spot in the Lincoln 50-58 Variety set a couple of years back. Even after making a few good purchases I would have to buy at least 3-4 top pop proofs now to get to Number 5!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Mercury set at #1 in 2004......last time I looked it was in the 20's.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    On the other hand.... my barber half registry set went from #3 to #1 as the two gents ahead of me both sold off their sets. I'm sure the "outlasting the competition" ploy will not work will all registry sets, though.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All speaking to a very strong market. A registry set is not a set and forget endeavor. It is a hobby, a collection, hunt, i.e, WORK. You are either the person doing the passing or getting passed up image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kind of fun putting in a coin and seeing if that guy or gal you passed will go get a upgrade.image
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am #4 on the Everyman Liberty Nickel sets right behind Mike Hayes at #3. image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the other hand.... my barber half registry set went from #3 to #1 as the two gents ahead of me both sold off their sets. I'm sure the "outlasting the competition" ploy will not work will all registry sets, though. >>

The same thing happened with the Quarter collection;
    I was in third place [ a distant 3rd, I might add ] and
    when Dale Friend and Sunnywood retired their sets,
    I became the # One Set. I have been in that position
    for two years now. I'm slowly adding MS 64 or better
    coins to this set and eventually hope to have the entire
    set in MS 64.

[ Gotta keep one point ahead of Chugum !! image.... ]

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sets are ATS, and my "old commemorative" half dollar type set was once in the top ten, ten or more years ago. Now it's down in the 30s.

Recently I completed the old gold commemorative set by adding the $50 Panama-Pacific gold pieces, both in MS-64. The rest of my coins (the 11 piece gold dollar and quarter set) grade MS-64 and 66 with one MS-66, my Panama-Pacific qurter eagle. I'm #6 acress the street, and one of things that gets me is that the guy who is just ahead of me has only one of the Pan-Pac $50 gold pieces in MS-64. BUT he's got MS-65 and 66 coins for the small gold pieces. I don't known how good his coins are because there are no pictures and descritions, just a list of grades. My coins are all hand picked for the grades with a couple CAC stickers.

If you wanted to go by market values I'd beat him for sure. But registry points are something else. image

I still wonder if some of these guys have the coins they claim to have. You can't prove anything because there are no pictures and no descriptions. As long as no one tries to register a given coin, you could grab numbers at a show or from an auction site and fill some of those missing slots for no money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am #4 on the Everyman Liberty Nickel sets right behind Mike Hayes at #3. image >>

I forgot to add the newly graded coins submitted for me by Ponyexpress8.

By your reminding me of where I was in the standings, I realized dates I had were
    missing from the Everyman's sets. I'm now at #1.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Just think of it as an increased awareness in the series/dates you wish to collect. That's great news, right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file