Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PCGS price guide should get rid of MS60.....

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
and add 45 and 58. I mean does anyone even collect the grade of MS60? What say you?
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting idea.

how many of each are out there?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    You are right there are very few MS-60's but I have a few since I collect coins and not labels. Oh and they are not MS-60 either. Not even close.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    This one is in a PCGS MS60 holder.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I have only one PCGS MS-60 coin, an 1837 Capped Bust Half Dollar. I believe it is better than MS-60, but that is for another discussion.

Yes, they should have values for grades XF-45 and AU-58.
    Tom

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join coin facts and you get them all.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    I understand your logic but what do you do just make them
    58 or 61?
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭
    58 and/or 62 would be way more useful than 60.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

<< <i>This one is in a PCGS MS60 holder. >>

A 60 looks like a pretty harsh grade on that one. JMHO...
  • Options
    The problem with low grade mint state is that sometimes high grade circulated look a lot better. One reason is once you break that threshold to mint state, you're basically starting from scratch, and evaluating the coin differently. A top-of-the-line AU will generally have far less surface blemishes on it than a low grade MS, I'm saying.

• Options
    Fairly often, an accurate MS60 Price Guide grade can be useful in assessing the value of coins of the same type, in grades AU58 and MS61. And sometimes, even MS62image
  • Options
    The MS60 price is often used for pricing generic raw UNC's by dealers
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't go out of my way to collect the MS-60 grade, but I had one of my raw coins graded PR-60 when I submitted it.

True, it's a grading number that is rarely used, but that does not mean that it should disappear. I've seen an few MS-61 and 62 graded coins that should have been graded MS-60 IMO. It's the grade from might be called a less than attractive Mint State coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Fairly often, an accurate MS60 Price Guide grade can be useful in assessing the value of coins of the same type, in grades AU58 and MS61. And sometimes, even MS62image >>

I think so, Mark. No wink about it.
  • Options

<< <i>Join coin facts and you get them all. >>

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with low grade mint state is that sometimes high grade uncirculated look a lot better. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Most '60's i've seen have me scratching my head as to why it's not some other numeric grade.

But there is a purpose for the grade that corresponds to the 'most beat up of all uncirculated' coins.

There have also been '61' coins that I wonder if they should have not been '60'. I guess, by extension, you could argue this of all grades. But it seems to be especially true of 60/61.
    It's as if there were periods of time during the last few decades where the numeric grade 60 was eschewed.

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>The problem with low grade mint state is that sometimes high grade uncirculated look a lot better. >>

image >>

He probably meant to write that high grade AU's (not uncirculated) sometimes look a lot better.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most '60's i've seen have me scratching my head as to why it's not some other numeric grade.

But there is a purpose for the grade that corresponds to the 'most beat up of all uncirculated' coins.

There have also been '61' coins that I wonder if they should have not been '60'. I guess, by extension, you could argue this of all grades. But it seems to be especially true of 60/61.
    It's as if there were periods of time during the last few decades where the numeric grade 60 was eschewed. >>

Or maybe the concept of '60' changes...a grader goes along thinking they know what a 60 is. And then one day a coin comes along that's so beat up yet AU that it resets their notion of a 60.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's more likely a left over relic of the days when the only grades used were 60, 63 and 65 in the mint state range.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I think it's more likely a left over relic of the days when the only grades used were 60, 63 and 65 in the mint state range. >>

But the PCGS Price Guide wasn't published until after PCGS started using additional/more precise grades, such as MS62, MS64, etc.
  • Options
    Here's my two cents (or soimage )

In my experience, every coin I have seen in a 60 holder (no... not all that many) ... every one looked like it belonged in a holder with a higher number on it...

...and yet I have seen far too many coins in 61 or 62 holders ... and even a few 63s ... that looked like they belonged on a 60 holder...

But then, what do I know? I haven't even slept in a Holiday Inn for many years now...

As for the price guide... well... I won't say anything other than I do not refer to it all that often... as I find other references more useful to my purposes... such as determining what the real world pricing is on a coin... sometimes the "real" price is lower than guide... sometimes higher... rarely, if ever, is it spot on... I guess that is why they call it a guide...

and as someone already pointed out... you can get access to every single grade point on the PCGS guide... simply by subscribing to Coinfacts... image

(and just think DW and DH... you did not even have to ask me or pay me for that last line... imageimage )
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Just because of you I'm going to log in right now and edit "uncirculated" to "circulated." image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

He probably meant to write that high grade AU's (not uncirculated) sometimes look a lot better. >>

And so far as I'm concerned some of those high end AUs are worth more than the ugly technical grade MS-60 coins. I've often paid low end Mint State money for high end AU coins and have been glad to have had the opportunity to buy them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    it would be extremely difficult to come up with an AU58 value/price

my experience is that the range in prices for this grade is extreme

with a very high end coin going up to MS65 values
    and a low end coin going for as low as AU50 values

MS60 values set a floor for BU coins, even if they are ugly or dead
  • Options

<< <i>And so far as I'm concerned some of those high end AUs are worth more than the ugly technical grade MS-60 coins. I've often paid low end Mint State money for high end AU coins and have been glad to have had the opportunity to buy them. >>

I know, Bill, and I think that's the point Mark was offering. You're really up there in the 60-62 or so range when you're valuing many of these high-end AU babies.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The PCGS price guide should get rid of MS60.....and add 45 and 58. I mean does anyone even collect the grade of MS60? What say you? >>

If I get your question it has to do with what PCGS displays on the main page of its price guide. Often the default for non-moderns is something like 4, 12, 30, 55, 60, 63, 64, 65, 66. It changes depending on the series. But there's almost always a 60 and never 45 or 58.

I agree it makes more sense to drop 60 and maybe 55 too, and use the more often seen 45 and 50 or 58.

Yes, I subscribe and can see them all but it can be tedious to have to click on a tab and wait and wait.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file