Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are these Kennedy halves worth submitting for a lowball set?

I found these a couple years ago while roll searching and only now have I bothered to take pictures. The second one is a 1971 (the date is clearer in hand).

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern coins and Low Ball just don't make any sense to me.

Added that it is hard to get the grading fees back selling those in MS65 let alone FR2.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one appears to have had its rim removed so wouldn't grade.

The second one is "nice".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Neither of them would return your investment of submitting them for grading and slabbing.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't understand this "worst known set" registry business.

Years ago such collecting habits were limited to a few dealers who worked on the poorest set of the old commemorative half dollars. Some of those coins are really rare in very low grade because collectors saved the commemorative half dollars from the 1930s and did not spend them. Just try and find a really low grade Antietam, Connecticut or York. It’s almost impossible.

As for coins that were really used, I suppose cull but clean for the grade it’s attraction, but not for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    There is no PCGS Kennedy Low Ball Set.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    notta

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights