Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2011 Silver Proof Set--On Sale 1/25, who's buying?

2011 silver proof set supposedly goes on sale tomorrow at the mint. Any interest?
Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    None whatsoever!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭
    pass
  • Options
    They are so unattractive! Shift my focus to the dark side a long time ago!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be buying in a group to save shipping.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero interest.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be buying the silver proof "mini pucks" when they become available....I like the 2011 designs.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    The 2011 United States Mint Silver Proof Set(TM) is priced at $67.95.

Yikes !!! People going to quit buying these if they keep jacking them up like this...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Love the look of new silver proofs. Hate the hazing and toning, though. Not sure I'll buy at $68 and risk it.
  • Options
    Nope not here...70 bucks is too rich for my blood
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    2 for me.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    70 bucks is steeeep considering the total silver content is what...~$36 in these? Plus the $5 in clad dollar coins.

I will be watching these though...mintages might go low if the price is too high, but these do have the NP quarters, which are nice this year, so they'll probably sell lots. Considering these will be the only option for a nice silver proof for the NP quarters (pucks look to be bullion or matte finish) I'm interested. But not right now.
  • Options
    Nope...
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    None for me...Been there, done that (er, from prior years).

Tried selling a few from '07 and '08 for $5 LESS than Mint Issue...no bites. Guess the nephews/nieces get those, too...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...hmmmmmm. don't know whether to wait or not. silver might keep climbing then BAM! another price

increase! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I will stop by the Mint kiosk and buy one sometime in the next month. I have a run back to 1950, so even at the current price, I want to keep my collection going. I am not happy about the pricing, but it is what it is.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I still have not pulled the triger for the 2010 silver set.

With the 1999 silver Proof set selling for less than $200 it does not bode well for the value of any other silver sets.

IMHO.
  • Options
    Too expensive these days.......
  • Options
    Pass on this one..
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I'll bite... probably continue with the 2 I order each year, but...

interesting that these sets were $44.95 in 2008... silver was averaging about $16 an ounce...

today, it closed at $27.03... about 68% higher over 3 years...

whereas the silver proof sets have gone up a bit over 51%...

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have too many Silver sets. I'll just stick to the $1 proof ASE
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>70 bucks is steeeep considering the total silver content is what...~$36 in these? Plus the $5 in clad dollar coins.

I will be watching these though...mintages might go low if the price is too high, but these do have the NP quarters, which are nice this year, so they'll probably sell lots. Considering these will be the only option for a nice silver proof for the NP quarters (pucks look to be bullion or matte finish) I'm interested. But not right now. >>

They will sell the silver quarters as stand alones in March.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm... I'll bite... probably continue with the 2 I order each year, but...

interesting that these sets were $44.95 in 2008... silver was averaging about $16 an ounce...

today, it closed at $27.03... about 68% higher over 3 years...

whereas the silver proof sets have gone up a bit over 51%...

image >>

51% instead of 68%.

It's hard to say what they had in silver costs back in 2008 since they released in August and silver was generally >$16 <$18 from Apr to July.

And for the end of 2010 it was anywhere from $25 to $30.

$18 to $25 is 39%
    $16 to $30 is 88%
    $17 to $28 is 65%

The current set has ~1.34 troy ounes of silver in it.

Obviously, when silver makes substantial dollar moves, the price has to go up.

If it only moved 51% when 6x% was the silver move, then I'd say the mint is absorbing some of the cost or they obtained the silver cheaper than calculated above.

As always though...

Just remember...

inflation, as reported by the other part of the trusty gov't, remains low!(scroll down to the bottom right)

Who knows... maybe the governement's numbers don't add up. imageimageimage

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One for a gift.
    17th year in a row we've gifted smoeone so we have to keep it going.

For myself, I'm done at those prices.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    No way.
  • Options
    Way. I now need to collect the miniature versions of the hockey pucks.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering these will be the only option for a nice silver proof for the NP >>

You can always get the "2011 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set™" on 3/29/11
    for a little less money than the proof set if all you want are the silver quarters.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    one for the dansco...
    figglehorn
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelled my USM subscriptions last week. Price is getting a bit too high. My last set came in kinda of crappy and was just too much of a hassle sending back and forth. If I see a l nice one at a show I might grab it.

Maine_Jim
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Considering these will be the only option for a nice silver proof for the NP >>

You can always get the "2011 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set™" on 3/29/11
    for a little less money than the proof set if all you want are the silver quarters. >>

Yep, this sounds like a good bet. $67 for all is just too much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file