Home Precious Metals

I think I was duped - 100 gram bar weighs 85 grams UPDATE 1-30

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
It is silver but light. What do you think?

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch. Asian and colorized. Brutal honesty: I would be highly suspicious of its composition, let alone its purity and weight.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ouch. Asian and colorized. Brutal honesty: I would be highly suspicious of its composition, let alone its purity and weight. >>

I've yet to see one that's made of .999 Silver. 99% are cheap counterfeits with hardly or no PM.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run away like mad when I see those things.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I want to file it to test it deeper than just the surface. But if I do I cannot return it. I will bring it back to the dealer and see what he says. I did not pay any premium for it. Just silver price via weight not markings. (there was a bunch of other silver in the bag and we just weighed it) I am pretty sure he will take it back.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to break this to you, but the specific gravity of copper is almost exasctly 85% of that of silver.

You can always do a specific gravity of the piece to prove that it is copper without cutting into it.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Thanks Capt

That makes perfect sense now as to why it weighs 85 gram instead of 100. Silver plated copper.

Does anyone read Chinese? Does it say copy anywhere on the reverse or is it a blatant copy meant to deceive?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Capt

That makes perfect sense now as to why it weighs 85 gram instead of 100. Silver plated copper.

Does anyone read Chinese? Does it say copy anywhere on the reverse or is it a blatant copy meant to deceive? >>

We have a winner! I interpret these as made for deception.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Yes, it says, "Get the roundeye's dollars."
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    A perfect microcosm of what China is doing to the USA.

Loves me some shiny!
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    A perfect microcosm of what China is doing to the USA.

That could not have been said any better.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine your dealer (or any dealer, for that matter) buying a Chinese bar like this without first weighing it. How well do you trust your dealer?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

see the symbol on the back with one line with alot of other lines coming off of it and going through it, that lets you know that it ain't real.

hopefully the dealer will take it back. fingers crossed.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got a bunch of bull(s) there.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • There also is no denomination or yuan symbol.

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
    Rule #1 NEVER buy ANYTHING Painted image

Loves me some shiny!

<< <i>Rule #1 NEVER buy ANYTHING Painted image >>

.............or from China.image

<< <i>Rule #1 NEVER buy ANYTHING Painted image >>

Oh yeah...

They're all painted, but not from China.

common reverse ( Not painted..image

Very nice. But nope. Violation of Rule #1.
    Never buy anything painted.

Loves me some shiny!
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the weight is off, then everything is off!

RFR>
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

<< <i>Very nice. But nope. Violation of Rule #1.
    Never buy anything painted. >>

Oh, I agree with you full heartily when it comes to bullion, but you need to join the 21st century when it comes to coins. Just about all the World Mints, except for the US Mint, are now producing some form of colorized collector coins and in most cases, they are more popular than the non colorized version and demand a higher premium when sold. Disregard your draconian 19th century mentality when it comes to colorized coins & join the growing list of collectors who don't mind owning an artful colorized coin. image
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    China is laughing and Ling Ling keeps playing the piano... image
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson

• << <i>see the symbol on the back with one line with alot of other lines coming off of it and going through it, that lets you know that it ain't real.

hopefully the dealer will take it back. fingers crossed. >>

Is the symbol you are talking about in the lower right corner on the back?
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>see the symbol on the back with one line with alot of other lines coming off of it and going through it, that lets you know that it ain't real.

Which one are you talking about? I don't see any text marking this as fake (and I do read Chinese). I'm not saying it is real, just that it isn't marked as fake.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>see the symbol on the back with one line with alot of other lines coming off of it and going through it, that lets you know that it ain't real.

Is the symbol you are talking about in the lower right corner on the back? >>

my statement was supposed to be a joke, since 99% of those symbols look like that.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A perfect microcosm of what China is doing to the USA. >>

ONLY what the US is allowing.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Is "Ag.99.9" even the correct notation? Shouldn't it be something like "Ag .999?"

<< <i>Is "Ag.99.9" even the correct notation? Shouldn't it be something like "Ag .999?" >>

99.9 fine = 10% silver or gold with 90% alloy

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is "Ag.99.9" even the correct notation? Shouldn't it be something like "Ag .999?" >>

I have seen 99.9 used on foreign products to indicate what we would call .999 fine. Same thing, different language.

The trickiest notation I ever saw was ".999% gold" which is literally less than one percent gold which is what the piece was, gold-plated copper. It was sold at the spot price of gold.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Any Chinese Panda Silver bullion ive seen has .999 nice and prominent.
    Brought it back today and got my money back on it no problem. We filed it and yup copper core.