Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

LordM's "Beat the Winter Blues" giveaway (WINNER: Ahrensdad- mkman123 & theboz11 are s

Edit- we have our WINNER: Ahrensdad. Standby alternates are: mkman123 and theboz11.

Cold? Is winter givin' you the blues?

Hey, just think... you could be here. image

I am giving away one free night at the historic King & Prince Beach & Golf Resort on lovely St. Simons Island, GA.*

* Subject to management approval and availability.

As an employee, I qualify for a special "Friends and Family" discounted rate. I'm offering you one free night's accomodation at the resort. No purchase is necessary, but if you want an additional one or two nights, they'll only cost you $59 a night. I'll pick up the first night's tab and get you the other night or two at the discounted rate. The hotel does limit these special rates by availability, of course, and I have to get manager approval for them in advance, but so far they've never denied one of my F&F requests. Typically they do not let the premium rooms like the oceanfront Cabanas go at the Friends & Family rate, but they do usually assign a pretty decent median-priced room, like a historic partial oceanview with balcony or something in the newer Oleander building. I think they'll allow up to three nights at the F&F rate. Also, since I work the Front Desk, I have some limited power in selecting your room. I have to stay within a certain room class, but I can pick and choose and try to get you something as nice as possible, once the reservation's in the system.

Obviously, you're on your own for all transportation and meals. (I can maybe help with ground transportation if you fly into Brunswick). I'll pay your first night at the hotel, get you the next night or two at the special $59 rate, if you like, and the rest is up to you.

If you're traveling with children and would prefer larger accomodation like a villa (two-bedroom condo w/full kitchen, washer-dryer, etc.), I'd pay half your first night ($59 on me, $59 on you), and then the F&F rate for subsequent nights would be $118/night (a considerable savings over what the villas usually go for).

I would recommend you come down before the end of May. The local tourist season here gets into full swing by then, and it gets more crowded, not to mention hotter and more humid. Springtime is a nice time to be here, as is fall. I'd recommend you avoid summer and peak season for obvious reasons, but if that's when you've got the time off, we can give it a shot. Availability is, naturally, a bit tighter during the high beach season.

There are historic attractions like the Fort Frederica National Monument and the St. Simons lighthouse nearby, and Jekyll Island is well worthy of a day trip. The Cumberland Island National Seashore is less than an hour south of here. It's a nice area.

If you're a golfer, it's possible if not probable that I get discounted golf at the King & Prince golf course (the Hampton Club), but since I'm personally not a golfer I don't know the details on that at the moment. It's a very nice course on the north end of the island, recently renovated, and the back nine goes out into the salt marshes. I've seen alligators and bald eagles out there. I might have to be with you to get you the free or reduced golf fees, but hey, I'm willing to do that, if you're willing to have a novice riding the cart with you. Golf is a big deal in this area, and many tournaments like the Walker Cup have taken place here on the Sea Island courses.

On the numismatic front, we're a bit of a backwater. I used to be the closest thing to a brick and mortar coin dealer in Glynn County, with my tiny antique mall booth, but I recently sold/sublet it to Wesley Hendrix, aka "guitarwes" here on the forums. So now Wes is the closest thing to a coin shop between the GA-FL line and maybe Savannah, as far as I know. For a little shoestring operation, he's doing well with it- better than I did, actually. He calls his setup Coastal GA Coins.

If you're a treasure hunter, bring your detecting gear! I'll take you to some of the past hotspots featured in my "Digger's Diary" stories, or maybe we can hunt for fossil shark teeth (on dry land), which doesn't require any special equipment beyond a sharp pair of eyes.

How'd y'all like to come down to the beach for a short visit? I'd be happy to show you around a little. You need not set your dates right away, though of course I do need some advance time to get management to sign off on the discounted rate. If your travel plans don't pan out, there's always a rain check.

To enter this giveaway, simply post once, telling us where you are and how the winter weather is treating you. All the better if you post a photo!

I'll randomly select a winner sometime before Valentine's Day, most likely. Heck, if the response is good, I might even pick more than one winner.

I hosted Greg C. ("savoyspecial") and his family not long ago. It was a lot of fun, but I suspect I might have tired them out a little by trying to show them too much in one day. We ended up driving all over the place when they probably might have enjoyed kickin' back at the hotel a little more. Fair enough- I'll give you your space and not bother you if you don't want the guided tour.

NOTE: I am offering this on my own initiative and it is not some gimmick sanctioned by the Sales department. I'll be paying your first night out of my own pocket. I'm sure the hotel management and staff will be more than happy to have you as a guest, though, and this Friends & Family deal they offer us is a really nice perk, in my opinion.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Great giveaway! Makes me wish I lived closer, I'd pay for all three nights!!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Great giveaway. The weather is fairly nice here in albuquerque but a little cold. Being retired I just pretty much stay inside in the cold weather. Sure would be nice to be where you are though.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'know, I've long thought that the King & Prince might make a nice, if smallish, coin show venue. If anybody has the interest, experience, and clout to organize such a show, perhaps one year we could do a modest post-FUN conference/retreat for folks who might be driving back up from Florida after the FUN show. We're just north of the GA-FL line, here, and fairly close to I-95. There is a small airport in Brunswick, on the mainland, and a tiny commuter airport on the island which handles mostly private aircraft.

I'm not the guy to organize a coin show, but would happily serve as in-house hotel liason. It's food for thought, anyway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance! I live in Michigan were it was -17 on my way to church yesterday! Palm tree dreaming!!!
    Here is a picture one of my 7 year olds took:
  • Options
    Oooh, yes. Keep the snow pictures comin'. I like lookin' at 'em, even though I don't miss driving in the snow from my NC mountain days.

We get a little bit of frost and a few hard freezes in winter (last night was one such), but generally speaking it is mild here and it hasn't snowed here since 1989. That was a freak once-in-a-century storm, where the snow actually stuck and they got four to six inches. I was off in North Carolina then, but I've seen pictures. Aside from that, I can only remember a tiny bit of flurry activity here on March 1st of 1980, and that's about it for snow in the Golden Isles in my memory.

• Options
    thanks for the chance.

We've has our share of snow here in Virginia this year, the lastest big one was 14" so I decided to build a snowperson for the kids.

How I do ?

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance! I'm in NJ where the thermostat read 2 degrees this morning!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i am posting to vouch for Rob and K&P, it is awesome and you will have a great time.......please dont take my posting as an entry as i would rather have someone else get the chance to enjoy this trip who hasnt been before

image way to go Rob!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    we have cold, and snow too. here is a pic of my thermometer this morning. It was -21 but by the time it occured to me to take a picture it had warmed up a little.

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Hah, this is driving distance image

I was snowed in two weeks ago with the great Georgia blizzard of '11. STILL saw a few small bits of snow on the way to the office this morning.

• Options
    Mingot, where are you? You in the Peach state, too?

I understand Hotlanta and the surrounding area has been anything but hot, lately!

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Great givaway! Rob's a great guy and the King & Prince is a super nice resort. Spring is beautiful down here.

I retract my post to give someone else the chance since I was just down there this weekend.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I am in Alabama, I'm in. Thanks
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great giveaway.

I've got my yearly travel plans all set so don't toss me in "Ye Olde Random Numeral Generator".

Here's a shot I took a few weeks ago with temps in the low single digits.

In a stiff breeze.image

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

That is an awesome gesture, LordM. That is beautiful part of the country.
  • Options
    Winter ?

Who has winter? No winter where I live image

• Options
    Showoff! image

No fair- our water ain't that blue here. But we've still got white sand and blue skies.

• Options
    Very nice giveaway! It was -4 this morning driving to work in NJ (Ankur must live in the warm part of the state!).

Sorry, no snow pictures available but there is more coming!

P.S. Please skip me for the giveaway since I'm sure the resort does not allow dogs and my wife won't travel without them.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    LordM,
    Count me in...I'm in lovely MN. It was 20 below zero this weekend. One recent weekend, I was outside with snow boots, shorts and a winter coat clearing ice from my driveway and thought to myself, "self, it isn't too cold in the sun." It was 19 degrees. Time for a vacation....LOL.

Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options

<< <i>P.S. Please skip me for the giveaway since I'm sure the resort does not allow dogs and my wife won't travel without them. >>

True, the resort is not pet-friendly, but I live in the country and we've got a little over an acre fenced in. If your dogs aren't the pampered pooch type and would get along with a rambunctious black lab, a border collie mix who tries to herd everything that moves, an elderly and blind terrier-poodle combo, six cats and a pony, well, we can pet-sit. image

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great giveaway LordM
    I usually get down that way about once a year. I may have to look you up next time.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NJ is getting hit over and over. Just when we clean our 5 inches another 5 come down
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this is nothing for some people, but it's something to me:
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NJ is getting hit over and over. Just when we clean our 5 inches another 5 come down >>

5"??? I thought NJ was more 'snow prone', like Boston is.....anyway.....

Was -2 this AM, wind chill was -12, still got 1 1/2 ft on the ground (I am not in Boston proper, but just a few miles west), and waiting on, they SAY, another 8-12" Wed-Thursday.

By the way....that is a GORGEOUS place! Should I not win, can we talk??? image
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Good time to post. Notsure is just a few miles away, so I don't have to repeat the weather report.
    It surely looks like a great place you have there.
  • Options
    New Orleans today is gonna be around 50 degree's so bundle up Haha...
    Thanks Jamie
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • Options
    O.K. Here we go. The first pic is of me at Pt. Thomson in the summer,which is 60 miles east of Prudhoe Bay,which is on the North Slope of Alaska, to give you an idea of where i work. The rest were taken last night at 12:30am AST. The digital temp at the security shack was reading -39 all night and has been hovering around there for almost a week.The ice fog is so thick you can't see very far.
  • Options
    Wow!

• Options
    Lord! Right now it feels as though I've been through many years of Winter. Can't wait to see what the Groundhog has to forecast next week...

Thanks!
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance. I'm in North New Jersey and more snow is on tap for the weekend. HM
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Hawaii.........no winter here LOL. Its just warm all the time........I have already forgotten how the cold really is!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    Oh great lordmarcovan, save me from the Pittsburgh winter! Love St. Simon's and Jekyll Island area. Golf is great, food is nice and southern and the hospitality is great. Used to visit there every year as my wife's late grandfather lived off the Sea Island Golf Club. Have not been back in a couple of years, and I would love to go!
    Here are some pics of my 4-year old son sledding for the first time between our neighbor's houses:

imageimage
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Sweet giveaway.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I,m on the Maine/Canadian border and I,m embarrassed to say some of you guys have more snow than we do.....we do have nice summers here tho...both weeks image
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is on top of Mt. Washington

Temperature -12.1°F
    Wind 48.9 mph
    Direction 283° (W)
    Gust
    Wind Chill -48.0°F
    Friday 4:30 AM
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

<< <i>I'll randomly select a winner sometime before Valentine's Day, most likely. >>

Eh, whoops. Valentine's Day has come and gone. I guess I'll pick a winner soon.

Hope somebody will come down to visit.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winter sucks.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soty27 - I love that old bridge in the Florida Keys! I have photographed it many times...I haven climbed up onto it. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    We are going up to 80 today here in Florida. Maybe I will lay out by the pool and get a suntanimage
  • Options
    Rob, while it is fun to think of a vacation I know I'd never get down that way to enjoy it so please award the prize to someone else.
    +1
  • Options
    I'm "enjoying" the sun here... the temperature will be above 100º F on a couple of hours, while I'll be walking to my house to have lunch.

Yesterday, time: 10 p.m., temperature: 90º F. Anybody wanna trade some degrees ? image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    Ahh, but Hans, it it summer where you are in the Southern hemisphere, no?

OK, let's pick a winner. I'll go fire up the random.org integer generator and let it pick somebody. What I'll do is pick two names, just in case the winner is somebody who posted but didn't really intend to take advantage of the vacation.

Stand by...

• Options
    And the winner(s) are:

1st pick: Ahrensdad.

If Ahrensdad can't make it, then the option goes to our

2nd pick: mkman123,

but he mentioned being in Hawaii so he's pretty far away and would not be too impressed with our beaches here, so I also selected our

3rd pick: theboz11,

but he's in Florida, meaning he's the closest but who knows if he'd wanna come this way or not (if so, I'd welcome it, as we've done some business and chatting on the World coin forum).

So... Ahrensdad, were you serious about wanting to escape Minnesota for a little while? If so, you're first in line! The Golden Isles of Georgia await you! Just let me know how your plans progress, and if you have selected your dates I will send the Friend & Family request through my boss on up to Reservations.

imageimage

PS- thanks to all who posted their wintry snowscapes, too. (And even those smartypants people who posted tropical scenes nicer than ours here, haha).

• Options
    So... Ahrensdad, were you serious about wanting to escape Minnesota for a little while?

Why would anyone want to leave MN in the winter? It's ice fishing season image