Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fitness Guru Jack LaLanne Dies at 96 - What coin could represent the life of this man? Post 'em here

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

***MORRO BAY, Calif. (AP) -- Jack LaLanne, the fitness guru who inspired television viewers to trim down and pump iron for decades before exercise became a national obsession, died Sunday. He was 96.

LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay on California's central coast, his longtime agent Rick Hersh said.

Lalanne ate healthy and exercised every day of his life up until the end, Hersh said.***

Link

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched him when he was a young man...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember, as a kid in the 50's, when he towed a row boat full of
    coin collectors (maybe reporters), from Alcatraz Island to SF with
    no wet suit just to prove that those 3 escapees could have made it. Oh,
    it also proved he was a Mans Man! The guy had a zest for life and lived
    it well.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Breathe in, (organ sound), breathe out, (organ sound)"...that's what I remember of him when I was a kid.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! He was certainly a cultural icon! He had a great, healthy life.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Was he of Hawaiian origin?
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I watched him when he was a young man... >>

He must not have been too young or else you must be very old. image At 96 Lelanne would be 34 or 35 years older than I am. That would mean that he at least close to 40 when I saw him on TV.

My brother-in-law once owned a Rolls Royce that LaLanne owned back in the 1980s. LaLanne was very much into the color black, and he had the beutiful wood panneling in the car painted black. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you picked the coin I would've. One of the Olympic issues.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was he of Hawaiian origin? >>

No, but he reminds me of the King on the reverse.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I too watched him in the fifties on black and white TV no less. He was an interesting man, watching him swim towing the boats was remarkable. But, I can't drink juice to live, I gota have real food like fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and hot rolls with butter. He cought a new Corvette when he was 92 and that was a treat!
    oklahomakid
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Year of birth 1904 - 1904 Lewis and Clark gold S$1. The man was a visionary explorer into the wilds of personal fitness made more perilous by the ignorant resistance of those more hobbled by the prevailing conventional wisdom of the times.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing man who broke the mold by living to be 96, unheard of for someone in the weight training/fitness industry.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Maybe one of these:

Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm shocked that the man died! I thought he would live forever....I watched this man and his white German Shepard when I was just a snot nosed kid with my Grandma. He lived a long healthy life, that's for sure, and has inspired many folks. I am sad to hear he has passed....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Year of birth 1904 - 1904 Lewis and Clark gold S$1. The man was a visionary explorer into the wilds of personal fitness made more perilous by the ignorant resistance of those more hobbled by the prevailing conventional wisdom of the times. >>

1904 Lewis and Clark gold dollar? That one can post!

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1904?

You guys need to go back to school.

try 1914
  • Options
    Issued in his birth year. the Pan-Pac SC$

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin for the man: My hardcore PR66+ BN, the most chiseled Lincoln cent I own...

imageimage
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1904?

You guys need to go back to school.

try 1914 >>

I forgot to take off my shoes to do complex calculations. My caffeine level is just whining in the face of overwhelming denial of my limitations.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad he lived to be an ripe old age of 96 rip
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the mighty Buffalo?

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file