Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My second 2 cent piece, any comments on collecting this series?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    If you collect a set which looks exactly like this, then you will have a beautiful set

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The financial stopper is the 1873. According the books, the closed 3 variety of the 1873 is the original issue in Proof, and the open 3 coins were made at a later date. For that reason I don't see why a collector would feel that he would need to have the open 3 coin unless he wants total completeness.

The 1872 is very hard to find in anything but Mint State or (easier) Proof. When I was interested in the series in the late 1970s I put together a set in EF, which is hard to do. I never found an 1872 two cent piece in true EF (a strong "WE" in motto, that's must for the grade) that did not have a problem, most often a corrosion spot.

Despite the fact that this denomination was dropped for lack of popularity or necessity, all of the dates from 1864 to 1871 are known in well used condition. These coins got a lot of use years after the mint stopped striking them.

My favorite is the 1864 Small Motto which is a marriage of a pattern die for the obverse and a business strike die for the reverese.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I like the series, i have attempted to complete mine 2 times. Both times i have gotten frustrated and sold them. I like the size. Good luck
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    I had everything but the 1873 when I pulled the plug on my set in 1980. I was collecting them because the coin market was so crazy I couldn't afford anything that was decent to collect except something off-beat like this.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭
    I like this set. I was first intriqued by the fact that the 1864 coin is the first with "In God We Trust" inscribed.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭✭
    I love three cent silvers, three cent nickels, and half dimes. I don't even dislike Shield nickels; however, I've never been able to get even mildly enthused about two cent pieces.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on a set. image

Nice '66! image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with the 1872. Then buy all of the rest of the coins to match it.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Having just checked the price guide
    I may not complete the set for some time
    Or the 72 will be quite different from the rest
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    As it is for most Two Cent pieces, except the 1873, finding an 1872 in the middle grades is going to be tough. You can find them in either Good or AG or Mint State or Proof (with the 1872 Proof is more likely) but finding it in VF or EF is very, very hard.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that is a great coin. I have often thought about collecting the series, but just do not like them enough to collect them by date.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be a very nice example based on the images!

I've always felt it's best to collect what you like. It is a hobby. I try to buy the best example I can afford at the time.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a lot of red for a 65BN! I love this series, but the best one I have is an AU58. Maybe one day I will start a set. Definitely among my favorite coins, along with Shield and Liberty nickels.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking coin. I like that!
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments
    Anyone have some photos to share?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the comments
    Anyone have some photos to share? >>

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questionable color, IMO.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Questionable color, IMO.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

Looks like she was polished many years ago, Lance.
    I looked up the PCGS price guide on my 1870 and my jaw dropped.
    Was listed at $3200...is now $4000 image

edited to add: lcoopie, your 1865 is beautiful.....very very nice!!!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file