Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CALIFORNIA FRACTIONAL GOLD

Does Ebay know about this scam on the CALIFORNIA FRACTIONAL GOLD sold on Ebay? I see it all the time people bidding on these fake coins. Do they allow you to say gold in the title, and then somewhere in the add say they do not know how much gold or quality it contains. Can they get away with it because it is not a minted US coin?

ebay

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This scam has gone on for years.

Back in the 1960s Woolworth's five and dime sold these "California gold fractional pieces" with that label on them. The good thing was that they are charging $2 a piece for them. You had be a bit gullible to think that you getting a real gold coin minted in say 1852 (date shown) for that.

Today the scam can be run less honesty. It's just one more thing not to like about eBay, and the way it allows consigners to offer material.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file