Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wowee! This Mercury Dime Qualifies as a Rainbow and a Monster!

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not mine, but boy is it nice! NGC MS68*

Larger obverse

Larger reverse
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out that die polish!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty. The middle bands really aren't rounded out, but they look split. Why isn't it FB?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Simply amazing!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure looks like CoinLieutenant's killer 1940-s though I can't recall if his was a 67 or a 68 non-FB. For a 68 it would bother me a bit that the date is not well struck. It takes more than a razor-thin hairline cut to make a true FSB. True FSB's should be as sharp as the vertical or diagonal bands. I'd call this a 20-30% band split with only the very outermost portions being fully split. But I'd accept the upper or low set of bands as qualifying for FSB.

Nice coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Very nice Merc.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out that die polish! >>

Don't you mean harsh cleaning and re-toning??? image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    Nice looking coin but isnt strike considered at that grade level? image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking coin but isnt strike considered at that grade level? image >>

It seems NGC and PCGS grade differently. I think a bit too weak for 68, but a nice looking dime.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice looking coin but isnt strike considered at that grade level? image >>

It seems NGC and PCGS grade differently. I think a bit too weak for 68, but a nice looking dime. >>

I'd say a 65, with a whopping 3-point grade bump for color.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice and colorful 66/67.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that turned out real nice!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say a 65, with a whopping 3-point grade bump for color.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decent, but I'd have zero interest in it at the presumed asking price.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

AT activities would halt if the services stopped giving grade bumps for color that result in gazillion percent increased value.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .....can't be a 68 in my book with the 4 and zero that weak
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little too pastel..ly for my taste. And I don't like the nick on the cheek for a 68.

Don't like the strike? Pffft.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Probably the exception, but I am not a fan of oil-slick toning.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    WOW!!! I had wanted that coin for 3 months and Heritage live had malfunctions right before it came up......It was the first time I was devastated over a coin image.....Do you know who won it?
  • Options
    These are the pictures that made me fall in love with the dime....Looks to have luster for days

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, TDN. If you're going to rain on someones parade, you need to live WEST of the Cascades. image;
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. That's a pschedelic one, all right.

<< <i>Probably the exception, but I am not a fan of oil-slick toning. >>

Me neither, but in this case I make a definite exception.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    So for all those that said the coin was a 65 with a bump for color.....are you now saying that not only can NGC not grade but CAC can't grade it either image

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a merc in 66FB with less marks, every bit the luster, and obviously a better strike. The only thing it lacks is the rainbow toning.

Eddited to add: This opinion is bases solely on the photos provided and may or may not change with the coin in hand.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Very attractive coin... I agree the toning gave it a bump or two, with both NGC and CAC. This coins has to make PCGS proud! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>So for all those that said the coin was a 65 with a bump for color.....are you now saying that not only can NGC not grade but CAC can't grade it either image >>

Actually, that's not what I'm saying. My opinion is that CAC agreed with NGC that it was a 65 with a three point bump for color. BTW, definitely deserving of the star as well.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was TomB posted a 68 not long ago that I thought was a stunner. Just based on images, that coin seemed heads and tails above this coin.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68? Hmmm... just Hmmm. No amount of praise would convince me of the 68 grade. Its pretty though.

Ken
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AT activities would halt if the services stopped giving grade bumps for color that result in gazillion percent increased value. >>

I agree 100%, Frank.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the * for the color
    I understant the MS for the mint state
    I don't understant the 68 but then who am I the queestion NGC!!!

and CAC stickered it?? maybe that is not a tick on the cheek
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Grading services have been giving attractive coins grade bumps for color for at least ten years. Most of what I have seen have been exclusively one point bumps, however.
    2) To me, a 7 must be a virtually perfect coin. Miss Liberty's cheek, from what I see on this image, would preclude that grade, let alone an 8.
    3) I've seen at least ten or twelve of MS 66 Liberty Nickels that were stickered which I didn't think deserved the sticker, but many of these coins imo were overgraded.

Don't think for a minute that just because a particular coin has been given a given grade by a TPG, or a sticker with regard to its quality for the grade, or is deemed to be "market acceptable," that you should merely accept this as gospel. A slab collector does this. As good as the experts are, they make mistakes. And liner coins could be graded differently on different days.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Well I think one thing that a lot of people that dont collect high MS grade coins dont understand is that there is more to the grade than just the strike and ticks. I think all of us from time to time look at a coin and think what were the graders thinking???? There there are times when we are very pleased with the grade!!! Truth is when grading coins that high eye appeal plays a major roll.If this coin received the MS68* grade then the coin must have "that pop" as I like to call it.If you have held a MS68 in your hand you know what I am talking about. I think NGC and PCGS both do a superb job of determining the grades on the coins.

Here is some photographic proof that the coin can have ticks and achieve high grades. ( I do not own these coins but held the second one in my hands and agree with the grade fully)

PCGS MS69 Full Bands

PCGS MS69 Full Bands

So basically I feel unless we actually have the coin in hand and can just the overall eye appeal and luster there is no way in determining MS68's and 69's simply from the photo.

PS I do not believe the coin in the OP has a nick on the cheek rather its just the toning pattern nor do I think it plays a vital roll....Only time will tell image
  • Options
    I love the reverse, but I'm not too keen on the obverse.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beauty!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a LucyBop special to me; as I recall she made a few rainbow Mercs using an old album left on her heating system for a few months.

Here's one LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file