Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust Quaters vs Bust Halfs

What do you all think the reasoning is for not seeing bust quarters that have great color or that "original" look that everyone is after in the bust halves. I have seen many that are original with wear and the grey/black look but very few if any that look like the monster halves.

Is this because the quarters actually circulated more that the halves? I recall an article stating in the 1860's out west, the lowest denomination to circulate was the quater, so I guess it saw more use. The halfs sat in bank bags for the most part.

Do I have the correct line of thinking? or am I missing something?

Gary

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you've got most of it. Fewer quarters made, much higher attrition, and if by "monster" you mean neon rainbow, less doctoring because there are fewer choice AUs with higher stakes for mistakes

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fewer quarters produced, higher rate of usage for the quarters and a much higher attrition rate for the quarters should yield fewer high grade pieces. Also, the halves have been the darlings of collectors, dealers and doctors for many years.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were far fewer Capped Buster quarters made---look at the mintages. Bowers estimates that more than 1,000,000 CB halves survive in circulated grades vs. 40,000-60,000 CB quarters.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compare the amount of CBH hoards that have been uncovered vs CBQ
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great many Bust half dollars spent most of their existence in 19th century bank vaults as back-up for the bank’s paper many. Like the Morgan silver dollars from a later era, they were stored in bags and such that would have promoted more colorful toning. Quarters were more often used in circulation which discouraged such toning to form.

The second factor is mintage. For years, some collectors argued that the Classic Head large cents were rare in high grade (e.g. EF or better) because the copper from which they were made was “soft.” The real answer was in the mintages. The mintage for the Draped Bust type large cent (1796 – 1807) was 16.1 million. The mintage for the Classic Head large cent (1808 – 1814) was 4.8 million.

The same applies to the Bust Quarter vs. the Bust Half Dollar. From 1807 to 1836 the mint issued 82.3 million Bust Half dollars. During the corresponding period, 1815 to 1838 it issued 6 million Bust and Reduced Size Quarters.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Sweet thread, great responses. I don't have anything additional to add, I agree with what has been said.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file