Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for SLQ collectors?

Were there any SLQ's that have a Dolphin or Fish of some type on the Obv?
A friend of mine asked me if I had ever seen one and if they have any real value?
I told her I would check with the forum members here as I have never heard of or saw one.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards, Larryimage

Comments

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dolphin pattern (a reference to which I have recently mangled) is the Holy Grail of SLQ patterns. RWB will be here soon to most ablely elucidate.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Yep the dolphin was on the pattern and RWB is the man.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

I, most assuredly, am not RWB, but:

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I, most assuredly, am not RWB, but: >>

Nevertheless, only just so much humility is called for Feldoni (AKA Feldini?). You know your peers consider you a more-than-adequate generalist.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    A somewhat better image of the obverse. The reverse posted above was made in 1917 and was not paired with the dolphin obverse.

Borrow or buy a copy of Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 and you can learn all about McNeil's pattern coins and frustrations with the mint.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow oh Great Feldini, what a stunner!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • .....was called the "mad" dolphin pattern
    A real pattern quarter with the dolphin obverse would be worth a great deal of money.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are dinner plate sized plaster casts which sold at Stack's a year or so ago.

No dies as such where ever cut.

Edited to Add: I recall they where bought at a Garage Sale for a couple bucks by the previous owner.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Hubs and dies were made of the dolphin obverse and the correct reverse.

• Thank you very much for all the reply's.
    I hope to see and photo the actual coin
    later this week.

Regards, Larryimage
    Larry,
    If you see the coin and make good photos of both sides, please let me know. I'd like to examine the piece, if possible, and then update my book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file