Home U.S. Coin Forum

If coins are going to such a hot investment item for the future ...

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
... why would someone be so interested in selling what they have?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... why would someone be so interested in selling what they have? >>

1. To reposition into coins that are better investments than the ones you have now

2. No one ever went broke taking a profit

3. Other financial obligations, unexpected or otherwise

4. Wife wants a new kitchen
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me rephrase it: Why would a dealer be so interested in selling the "investment grade" coins that he owns?

Is he going to be able to restock such coins at prices that will allow him to flip them for a profit?

Why not just wait five years and cash out with an enormous profit?image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>... why would someone be so interested in selling what they have? >>

1. To reposition into coins that are better investments than the ones you have now

2. No one ever went broke taking a profit

3. Other financial obligations, unexpected or otherwise

4. Wife wants a new kitchen >>

For many, another demonstration of the Biblical statement "the last shall be first".
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Yes, well some people talk about the "Greater Fool Theo..." OOOOHHHH Look what RYK posted. Teh shiny shiny dirty gold! Oooh!!!!! Want!

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me rephrase it: Why would a dealer be so interested in selling the "investment grade" coins that he owns?

Is he going to be able to restock such coins at prices that will allow him to flip them for a profit?

Why not just wait five years and cash out with an enormous profit?image >>

Then you actually become more of a collector than a dealer no?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me rephrase it: Why would a dealer be so interested in selling the "investment grade" coins that he owns?

I suspect that was more of a gentle jab than a serious question. But either way, generally, successful dealers have a good turnover rate for their inventory. And, even at low margins, turning coins over quickly, can be more profitable than just sitting on them, waiting for them to appreciate.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides RYK excellent points, there is a propability that the seller could be equally convinced the market could turn cold.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Sort of like stocks and real estate, the brokers always want you to buy or sell.

Ed
  • Nature of the beast. Coin dealers sell coins. Period.

But it does kind of remind me of the people who sell financial advice. My thought has always been "If you are so good at this, why are you having to sell advice?".

Mans gotta make a living.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he said the same thing 5 years ago from now, so now his time to hold is up and he needs to sell. Should he renew his pledge every 5 years or take the money and run. He could keep the profits and look for other coins to buy.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Like the other person said, a coin dealer sells coins, a real estate broker sells real estate, a stock broker sells equities. What is so hard to understand? The job is to sell, the more turnover, the more money they make. For the coin dealer, the tougher half of the job is often finding decent inventory. A good many coin investment reps know little about numismatics, they are taught a script, a pitch, their song and dance, if you will.

As for why the top investment managers don't retire, it takes a ton of money to have make enough from investments to retire. Most stock mutual managers would do almost anything to get a consistent 2% a year edge over their colleagues. To put some numbers on it, lets just say for this hypothetical, say the top tier money manager generates 8% after all expenses and the average fund manager 6%. If that top manager can maintain that edge for many years, he/she is worth his weight in gold to the fund, and to the investors in that fund. That kind of consistent edge over a long period of time would likely make the person top 10% or 20% in that profession. Even with that, unless that money manager inherited a ton of money, he/she isn't going to be able to retire anytime soon on 8% returns a year. I am talking slow and steady investors not gunslinging futures traders that make or lose 8% an hour. That top money manager is much better off working for a fund company, or if very successful, running their own fund, where that 2% increase in returns makes a huge dollar difference, vs. managing what is likely a small pile of their own money.

Anyway, I have seen a shift on the forum during my time here. Five years ago, I'd guess about half the responses to a thread, would defend coins as investments, 5% would do so vociferously. These days on the U. S. coin forum, I'd say about 66% voice strong disdain to those hawking coins as investments or linking coin investment articles filled with half-truths.
  • OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Do coins really appreciate? Or just hopelessly languish until your dead?

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    The coin dealer vs. real estate broker and stockbroker is not the best analogy. A coin dealer generally owns the product he is selling for a profit and therefore generally any advice given may be highly biased towards what he is trying to sell you from inventory that he actually owns, whereas a stockbroker / real estate broker simply acts as 'broker' and makes a small commission for their advice and services regardless of the property or security purchased.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Do coins really appreciate? Or just hopelessly languish until your dead?

image >>

For most, they just hopelessly languish, however we're supposed to get some kind of satisfaction and pride of ownership knowing that somewhere in some dark safe deposit box in some bank vault we have a bunch of coins sitting in plastic holders that we hardly ever see, and that's supposed to somehow make us happy I guess.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the OP's question was directed towards the dealers who take out large ads with titles such as "buy now before prices explode!"

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave Bowers talks about this very thing in some of his writings....that the real profits have gone to knowledgeable collectors who assemble choice specialized collections and hold them for a long period of time. And he backs it up with many examples. The dealers make their living buying and selling and making the smaller profits, as others have said. But I also know MANY dealers who 'put away some of the nice stuff' for themselves, when they buy an estate or collection. In that case I think they are putting their money where their mouth is - that they genuinely believe these coins will be worth significantly more if they hold them over the long term, and that they get the added enjoyment of owning them in the interim.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

• << <i>... why would someone be so interested in selling what they have? >>

Not only does he probably have overhead costs to think about, but think of it in investment terms... think of it as "dollar cost averaging." A good dealer buys and sells all the time (no matter what the coin and bullion market reports are saying) to limit his risk of loss. I would venture to guess that dealers who try to maximize their profits by trying to deduce when the best times to buy and sell are don't last very long in the business.

And now that I've said that, I'm sure one or two smartasses will provide an example or two of a dealer who bucks this trend.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealer's can't necessarily afford to hold on for the long term. Suppose an investment should appreciate well in 5-10 years. If someone buys it as an investment, they've tied up their investment funds to reap the rewards. A dealer is aiming to make consistent profits, and I doubt many split their funding for long-term and short-term gains.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me rephrase it: Why would a dealer be so interested in selling the "investment grade" coins that he owns? >>

Let's say I have $10,000 to play with, and I have an opportunity to buy an "investment grade" coin for $10,000 that I can sell for $11,000 pretty easily. Furthermore, let's say I expect that coin to be worth $20,000 in two years (yes, doubling my money in two years since I'm so wildly optimistic about the future of the rare coin market in this hypothetical example).

All I need to do is "turn over" this kind of inventory 10 times (plus a little for overhead) with $1,000 profit per sale in two years (one sale every 10 weeks or so) to make flipping these coins as profitable as "buy and hold." And if I can sell one of these a month, I make $24,000 in profit in two years instead of the $10,000 I could make by holding the coin.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Mark wrote, smart dealers turn over their inventories regularly for a variety of reasons. One is that customers are constantly looking for fresh items and don't want to see the same stuff on their website or at show after show. There is also something to be said for several small mark-ups made from several turn-overs as opposed to holding out for "a killing" on one big sale.

I've seen dealers who tried to squeeze the last dollar out of some items. Very often these guys get the reputation of charging high prices which prompts many collectors to avoid looking at their stock completely. At the shows I can run down the names of a few dealers and know not to bother with them because their prices are very high general. It's better to known for good, but fair prices in the retail trade.

Finally there are almost no coins that are irreplaceable. Although some things might seem to impossibly rare to some of us, dealers who market such items know that they will crop up again somewhere down the line.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certainly times when it is more profitable for dealers to sit on inventory that will likely experience a large short/intermediate term price increase. And many successfully do this when it makes sense.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No national coin dealer's trading repetoire should omit managing cash flow and optimizing the opportunity-cost value of the money on hand or available.

Many's the time I've heard a fellow dealer ruing his previous purchase of a great coin by stating balefully "I love this. I never thought I was going to be a collector when I bought it".

I can't count the number of times I've seen dealer #2 see Dealer #1 buy something in an auction and then offer dealer #1 an immediate profit. If it's not an agent, high-turn rate, or wantlist bid then a fast flip often makes excellent sense.

I sat next to Eureka in Auction '84 or 85' as he bought an 1884 $20 Ex: Eliasberg, Sconyers. 90 seconds later I had successfully manipulated him into selling me the coin for a paltry 4% over his cost. I paid him on day 27 so his check to the auction company could be deposited on day 30.

Clean deal, and pure profit for Eureka. I was greedy and didn't want to give it away at a 10% profit and sold it six months later for my own 6% profit. This continues to happen to me often.

Pretty shrewd that Andy!

In 6/85 I bought the Garrett 1804 S$1.

Previous history:

from J.W. Garrett (Bowers 3/80, XF) $400,000 hammer
    through Pullen/Larry Hanks (agents)
    for Sam Colavita {(dealer making money during 79/80 gold explosion who never ever ever dreamed he could own one (but he had a good month)}

to private investor (Pullen/Hanks auction ?/82) at maybe $185K hammer.

(1982 was a brutal year for the business. Dealers large and small were dropping like flies and nobody wanted anyone's checks. I was so depressed that I started sleeping with my ex-wife again and went back to computer software for 6 months. Then I went to the Boston ANA and some stock market rally blast from Dow 781 (that might be close) coincided with the showing catching afire on Day 3 after the Apostrophe Sale and NERCA offerings.

After discussing it with my darling I told her I was giving 30 days notice at the consulting gig. A week later she gave me two weeks notice she was throwing me out.

A rare win-win. BTW she's on her 4th.

TMI, but I'm chuckling as I type.)

Bowers (5/85) bought in at $165,000 hammer + 10% with Jessup as underbidder. On calculation, cojones and a promise from Ed Milas of financing at $125,000 at 1% per with me keeping possession.

to Jessup (doorway of the auction room of the St. Moritz within 5 minutes of the buyback) at $180,000.
    3 other dealers asked for and were sold 20% shares at cost within the next 3 minutes. This process is universally appreciated by auction sluts as an exercise in the age-old process of "whoring in". This is nothing like "forming a ring" in restraint of trade. It is in no way planned

by Martin Paul (10% partner) (QDB told me he'll add me to pedigree list next edition) at $200,000

through Dan Drykerman (agent/broker)

to Laura Somers (coin now possibly NGC PF58)

I paid for the coin before the money was due.

The next year QDB let me handle each coin straight out of the original morocco leather box of the King of Siam set. Forget the S$1, it's the $10 that does it for me. King of Eagles suggests that the KoS $10 and the (Farish?) Baldenhoffer piece got mixed up in some way.

Wierd scenes inside the gold mine (tribute to Mom Longacre)

If you've got a math head it's really easy to figure how this works. But the occasional relapse can be indulged by those who have not yet met a 12-step group whose Satan's Bible is "How to be your own best customer".

My 12-step work in On-and-On-and-On-Anon continues.

There should be a few kernels of truth in here for some.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you suggest the dealer use to pay his bills as he's sitting on all these investment grade coins?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file