Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it Bad Manners to ask a eBay seller their Reserve Price

Any thoughts on the subject. I really don't like reserve autions but once and a while I will
bid and if I do not meet the reserve I sometimes ask the seller what his price is to consider
if I want to bid higher. Is it improper to ask this question or is it a reasionable request. I do
not use the reserve option on eBay I just put what I want for the item and go from there but
if I did I would reveal the price if asked.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem with asking the question.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not at all. The worst thing they can do is refuse your inquiry, but most sellers will divulge it if asked.
  • The worst that can happen is that they don't tell you the reserve price. Though I can see some sellers being annoyed by it.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • It's fine. Every time I ask, I get a response. When asked, I am happy to give out such information.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I always get an answer. The seller would be a fool not to give you one.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that it's bad matters at all. If I were an Ebay seller I'd be glad to field that question because it shows there is bidder who has a genunine interest.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think that it's bad matters at all. If I were an Ebay seller I'd be glad to field that question because it shows there is bidder who has a genunine interest. >>

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would a seller NOT tell you his reserve?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    From my experience 90% of the time eBay sellers are happy to share the reserve price...the 10% that don't obviously didn't want my bid.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't ask because I don't bid on auctions with unstated reserves.

If you want to ask, go ahead.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I see no harm in it. I have done it many times and have been asked (when I use a reserve). I don't use reserves any more. Just not worth it in my opinion. But, there were a couple of times when I have asked a seller what the reserve was and their response was "keeping bidding until you meet it". Of course that just kept me from bidding and I went on about my search.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Generally, no, as the seller can decide whether or not to respond. An exception that comes to mind is a seller who specifically advises that the reserve will not be disclosed and asks that viewers not ask. Have seen this from time to time.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I always get an answer. The seller would be a fool not to give you one.

Why?
  • A simpler (and less time consuming) solution is to just bid what you're willing to pay. Either you'll be the high bidder or you won't- just the same as if you'd bid in a non-reserve auction that already has a bid. image
  • I ask all the time. Most will tell you. Every once in a while the seller says something like, "it would not be fair to the others if I told you".
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always get an answer. The seller would be a fool not to give you one.

Why? >>

If he can't tell me his reserve, it usually means it's embarrassingly high so I don't bother to waste my time bidding on his auction.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    some sellers state in auction what their reserve is

some lower their reserve during the auction

if you bid what your max willing to pay is, if it meets reserve the reserve becomes the underbidder and that becomes current bid
    (say reserve is $200, you bid $300 with no current bids, the current bid becomes $200 with you high bidder and your max still not hit)

many will tell you what it is -

I remember a few years ago, a big outfit in CA had retail+ reserve on everything
    I bid my max, and did not meet reserve, after auction closed a salesman from them called me up trying to sell me their coin
    for double what I bid - I was not thrilled and stopped bidding on their stuff for years

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file