Home U.S. Coin Forum

1893 Columbian Half Dollar fake?

Hey all! It's been a while. But I finally have the chance to continue posting pics of coins I found while working as a coin processor for an armored car company. I am obviously a newbie when it comes to coins or I'd know for certain whether this coin is real or a fake. Though it looks like it's made out of clay, it certainly "sounds" like it's silver when dropped on a wooden table. All opinions welcome. Thanks

Comments

• TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Real or fake it has had its butt kicked.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Real, but has been through a tornado!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 1892 is the scarcer date Columbus half , i don't see a fake 83 being made , especially as well as that one seems to have been at one time.I'd bet it's real , scrap silver now , but real.
  • gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Hahaha! Yeah, this coin has seen better days that's for sure. As I am nothing more than a pocket change collector, this coin will stay in my "collection" until I'm fortunate enough to come across a better example that I can afford to purchase. Thanks for the input
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it spent some time being run over in the street.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it appears this spent some amount of time in the bottom of a frozen wagon rut.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have picked up some coins from the middle of the street that look just like this, actually.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Doubt it's a fake, but it's definitely lived a hard life!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1892 is the scarcer date Columbus half , i don't see a fake 83 being made , especially as well as that one seems to have been at one time.I'd bet it's real , scrap silver now , but real. >>

I think you mean "93" rather than "83".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to tell for sure if it is a fake is to pick it up and see if it feels like silver. It could be pot metal although the letters that have not been damaged appear to crisp and clear, like a genuine piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Real but got hung up in the Ferris wheel.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only way to tell for sure if it is a fake is to pick it up and see if it feels like silver. >>

What does silver feel like compared to other metals? Did you mean do a ring test to see if it sounds like silver?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

<< <i>1892 is the scarcer date Columbus half , i don't see a fake 83 being made , especially as well as that one seems to have been at one time.I'd bet it's real , scrap silver now , but real. >>

I think you mean "93" rather than "83". >>

Thank you Perry , i did , it was a bit late in the day for me

• Looks like Custer had that coin with him at the battle of the Little Big Horn

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it might possibly be lead. I've seen common date lead halves forged (contemporary) just to spend at face value out of lead (soft and easy, low tech forgery). If it isn't overweight then I'd say it is real. --Jerry
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone tried putting it down a garbage disposal.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file