Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964-D Peace 5-Coin Type Set

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
Starting at the top left: (1) Die Pair 5, (2)Die Pair 5 High Luster Finish, (3)Die Pair 6 Proof-Like Finish, (4)Die Pair 6 High Grade Finish (left bottom), (5)Die Pair 6 Sandblast Matte. Descriptions come from the flips.

The Sandblast Matte looks great in person, nice even luster.

Nice job, DC.

r95

Comments

• They looks great. Hope my matte comes today.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to get mine!
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ...you got a swell example of one of his Proof likes there ...........

I guess the Matte's are cool ................ but not my favorite's image
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    What about the "bag-handled" issue?
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong Forum. This is US Coins.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Wrong Forum. This is US Coins. >>

Too funny... I really like them, but they aren't US Coins. If they were, then they'd be counterfeit... oh, the pain! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>

Too funny... I really like them, but they aren't US Coins. If they were, then they'd be counterfeit... oh, the pain! image >>

They are us coins, they are struck on US Peace dollars.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Too funny... I really like them, but they aren't US Coins. If they were, then they'd be counterfeit... oh, the pain! image >>

They are us coins, they are struck on US Peace dollars. >>

They WERE US Coins... they're now fantasy pieces.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

Its as much a US coin as this one.
    Or these.
    Or these.
    Or this.
    Or this.

Actually, moreso than any of the above.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

Or these.
    Or these.
    Or this.
    Or this.

Actually, moreso than any of the above. >>

I like them, I really do... but they're not US Coins, nor are any of the examples you provided. This is probably the best forum to discuss these - BUT, they are emotionally charged since a LOT of people believe they're counterfeit and a LOT of people believe they're works of art. The one thing that is certain... they're divisive. You always hope that the lines are drawn to bring a group together, not tear them apart. Literally... if the word 'COPY' were stamped on these, this would have been a moot issue. Regretfully profit motives won (on both sides) and we are where we are... divided.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What part of "US Coin Forum" do genuine 20th century United States Mint silver dollars conflict with?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Or these.
    Or these.
    Or this.
    Or this.

Actually, moreso than any of the above. >>

Or any of these

This
    This
    This
    This

and a couple dozen more just like 'em.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice investment!
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    nice set renman..image
    figglehorn
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of five-piece sets, has everyone viewed the five-piece 2011 Amero set Dan is now selling? I ordered one today...
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
    renman95 - I don't agree with these, but it doesn't preclude me from admiring them, especially your #(3) Die Pair 6 Proof-Like Finish... WOW, it doesn't get much better than that!

I'll admit, I struggled with buying/not buying them. If it weren't for my job, I expect I may have purchased a couple of each. Can you edit your OP and add the mintage numbers?
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

• << <i>What about the "bag-handled" issue? >>

.....some of us have suggested that one is not to be included in the set ...........

• << <i>Wrong Forum. This is US Coins. >>

Please contact a moderator if this thread offends you or you feel it is in violation of the rules
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interview with dcarr >>

Great interview and clicking on the link within the interview "coin blanks and other interesting items" to see all of the photos of the Grabener Coin Press at the Moonlight Mint was very cool. Amazing how many blank planchets were in that machine and all the work DC has done to make it operational.

<< <i>

<< <i>What about the "bag-handled" issue? >>

.....some of us have suggested that one is not to be included in the set ........... >>

Why not?
  • ........because Mr. Carr himself has defined the set as having five types ,excluding the bag handled specimens
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set.... Cheers, RickO
  • << D.Carr :

"there is some controversy as to how many "types" constitute a complete set of your Fantasy Dollars .........

I'm in the 5 group , but others are wanting to include the "bag handled" examples to make the number 7 .

Since you made them , you should be the one to establish the correct number . ">>

I would say that the "Bulk-Handled" coins do not constitute a different variety.
    They are simply the same variety in a different grade. Anyone could make one out of
    a Die 5 or Die 6 "High Luster" coin by simply putting it in their pocket with a bunch of
    bronze cents and carrying it around for a while. D.Carr

<< <i><< D.Carr :

"there is some controversy as to how many "types" constitute a complete set of your Fantasy Dollars .........

I'm in the 5 group , but others are wanting to include the "bag handled" examples to make the number 7 .

Since you made them , you should be the one to establish the correct number . ">>

I would say that the "Bulk-Handled" coins do not constitute a different variety.
    They are simply the same variety in a different grade. Anyone could make one out of
    a Die 5 or Die 6 "High Luster" coin by simply putting it in their pocket with a bunch of
    bronze cents and carrying it around for a while. D.Carr >>

That makes sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file