Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help grading two newp $20 Libertys.....

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
Grading gold is certainly not my strong point.

I don't know if I should send these in for grading or not.

What grades do you give these? (obverse side only).

Thanks!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna go with 58 and 62
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd grade the 1904 AU-58 and the 1900 MS-62, going by the obverses which all you are giving us.

Getting them slabbed is worthwhile because they will be easier to sell when the time comes. They are not in great grades, but they are better than just bullion pieces.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd grade the 1904 AU-58 and the 1900 MS-62, going by the obverses which all you are giving us.

Getting them slabbed is worthwhile because they will be easier to sell when the time comes. They are not in great grades, but they are better than just bullion pieces. >>

Based on the worse grade of AU58.

What premium over spot would a coin like this 'quickly' sell for?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    January 14 Gray Sheet numbers:

Spot gold $1,373.70

Common date Type III $20 Liberty AU-58 bid/ask $1,440/$1,500 Those numbers might be little high because most dealers resist paying "bid" for these coins, but you will get even less for raw coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I like the grades assigned by the first two posters. Seems right to me.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    MS61
    MS63
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    ms60, ms62
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Ms62 and ms64
  • The 1904 is pretty dinged up. I'd market grade it AU55 but it might make 61 if someone called it MS. $1400 for a quick sale.

The 1900 is nicer. An honest 62 with a shot at 63. Worth submitting and would easily bring $1600 in a 62 holder. As is it should bring $1500 pretty quick.

This is assuming the reverses have no problems.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 & 58
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1904: AU55 or possibly AU58

1900: MS62
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms60

ms61 maybe 62

don't bother sending them in they are just fine raw!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    58 and 62+, shot 63.
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    58 & 63. The first one might 61 if thats strke weakness on the hair and not wear.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The first one might 61 if thats strke weakness on the hair and not wear. >>

Why are you even considering strike weakness when there is obvious wear on the neck, face, and brow?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 and 61

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58, 62.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58...
    MS62...
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in with all the othe "58, 62" votes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file