Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it worth hanging on to rolls of State Quarters?

I have bank wrapped rolls of quarters, (Not TN, or IL, or a 1999) is it worth keeping? According to Greysheet the best I have are Washington State D's that are 16 each, but then, who wants them for that?

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have bank wrapped rolls of quarters, (Not TV, or IL, or a 1999) is it worth keeping? According to Greysheet the best I have are Washington State D's that are 16 each, but then, who wants them for that? >>

Cash them in and use the money to buy coins that are worth more than face value.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Take them to Parsippany and see if someone will take them for 11 or 12 bucks. Better than letting them collect dust.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

They are good to hit someone with if you get mugged.
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    They may well appreciate, however the dollar will continue to depreciate at a more rapid pace.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • I'd get rid of them and use the money to buy 90% silver quarters. I have some serious buyers remorse when I bought into the USMints 2009 terrritorial quarter offers. I could have bought 90% quarter rolls for $100 each at that time. I'm done buying modern clad for speculation. I've learned my lesson the hard way.
  • If it makes you happy to keep them, then sure.

If you think they're going to be worth more than 25c sometime in your lifetime, then I'd say no. Spend 'em.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In long run I don't think it's worth keeping them. These coins have been saved by the millions in run of the mill Mint State and will never be worth much in the average Mint State grades.

If you are going to keep them, go through the rolls and take out all of the culls. I knew dealer who had store in Massachusetts who bought a huge number of them that he figured would keep him in business for a few years. He went through the rolls and some late die state pieces that weren't worth keeping because no collector would buy them. Those were better spent. There is no sense in keeping material like that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, they are similar to the 1976 Bicentennial quarters/halves.
    People kept them because of the design. Saved them in hoards.

Look at their value today......

Now, that said, I will still keep a number of them. My reason is that I can afford the $10/roll to do it and I want to be able to give some unopened rolls to my son when he is older, if he remains interested in coins. Maybe nothing will come of it, but maybe he will enjoy the chance to be the first to open some rolls and see if anything cool is inside...
    If he doesn't remain interested, then it is still cash, even if the relative value will have decreased by then. Would have been worse to gamble that money, buy material goods that don't last, and almost as bad to put it in the wrong stock or bullion at the wrong time....or even not so great to put it in the bank and get that great .00000001% interest image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id cash them in and buy something thats gonna go up in value. i guess its ok to have some laying around but just the same
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Wow I didn't know rates at the bank were this high already! image
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably wind up cannibalizing them for laundry.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack open each roll and look for any errors, even minor repeatable ones. Roll the rest and cash in at the bank.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

How much do boat anchors cost now a days? Maybe some boat owners would take them off your hands!
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file