Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where do you buy your Type 1 gold dollars?

Last evening, I was perusing the second edition of the Gold Dollars book by my beloved QDB. Personally, I don't care for the Type 3s (I think they're ugly), but I like the Type 2s. I really like the Type 1s.

Rather than seeking out Registry Set Worthy coins, does anyone have any suggestions on where one can obtain Type 1 gold dollars at a grade collected by the common folk?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too prefer the Type I gold dollars. I don't think that the type IIIs are ugly; Many of them just seem to be sort of dull.

As for finding them, I'd be reluctant to buy raw ones given the counterfeit problems with certain dates, like 1852 and 1853. As to grade I've been impressed with many of the MS-62 coins I've seen recently. They have actually passed the muster IMO as Uncirculated coins.

The Charlotte and Dahlonega mint coins are another matter. A lot of them were crudely made and aside from the 1851-C hard to find in Mint State. All of them, including the 1851-C are expensive in Mint State.

At any rate I can’t recommend a dealer; I’d work the shows. If you can’t do that, perhaps you can check out the Collectors Corner website where dealers post up the coins they have for sale.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is the preferred coin buying destination for the hoi polloi. image

I have never been a fan of the Type I. They are simply too small for my taste. I do appreciate the design, and like it even more on the $20 Lib.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the common folk get their gold dollars on ebay. I suggest being umcommom
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay does not deserve our support until they address their counterfeit coin problems.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PrillerPriller Posts: 111 ✭✭

Type 1's are my primary collection. The common dates have mostly come from Heritage. Doug Winter is a great source for the branch mints. I have also had some good finds at Bowers & Merena auctions.
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last evening, I was perusing the second edition of the Gold Dollars book by my beloved QDB. Personally, I don't care for the Type 3s (I think they're ugly), but I like the Type 2s. I really like the Type 1s.

Rather than seeking out Registry Set Worthy coins, does anyone have any suggestions on where one can obtain Type 1 gold dollars at a grade collected by the common folk? >>

Slumming with the proletariat are we?

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect all 3 types. Great history behind several mints. The first thing to do is determine what "look" you want to have for the set. I have placed more emphasis on each coin having the best strike I can find, even if the technical grade or luster is not gem level. You may place more importance on all having that "RYK dirty gold" look or all with brilliant luster.
    As for where to obtain them, there is no one source. I have bought most of mine at shows but some at the major auctions. You should be able to find the Philly mints and even the "O"'s pretty easily, the C and D's will be tougher. As mentioned, Doug W. usually has some nice ones, as does Northeast Num.
    Seven to go for me!!
    liefgold
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the crowd I will say I prefer the type 3. Maybe its the greater date run, or the different looks they present....but they are my favorite.

NFC Coins always has a very nice selection of certified coins. When you start cruising ebay first thing you notice is how many of these pieces are damaged. Also, you note that a lot of slabbed coins just fail to sell.

As interest picks up...and it HAS.....just my thoughts but as always Id be buying the more difficult pieces first.
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philidelphia Type I gold dollars seem to be available in abundance at just about any auction. As far a branch mint Type I, I would check Doug Winter's site. I don't generally buy dollars but I came across an 1850-O on his site that I bought on impulse. I can't wait to see it in hand.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From reading Longacres post...I think the "superwonderfulspecialoriginalsurfacehighvalue" coins that Doug has are a bit upscale. I think hes referring to a nice AU coin that us normal people can afford. image

There are at least 8 collectible 1849 issues...the new orleans coins come well struck and are a bargain, the 1854 S can be a tough coin to find but really nice ones are out there.
    Once you learn to understand the looks of the C and D mint issues, decent coins are there but a LOT of these are damaged. High MS 1850 P coins are tough to find.
  • I have bought 8-10 ANACS, PCGS, and NGC type 1,2 and 3's in MS-61-MS-63 here locally this year as more gold seems to be coming out. I have also added many nice counterfeits to my collection also. I normally pay $40-$50 back of Heritage wholesale prices as the dealers prefer cash, not to ship and wait for a check especially with all the bullion crap. Cash is king right now. I have also run into some rarer date gold at cheap prices. This year I have added a $10 11-D in AU, $2.50 1852-0 F-15, $3 1854 MS-64,, $2.50 1848-D in VF-30, $2.50 1860-C AU-55, $2.50 1843-P MS-64, $5.00 1836 XF-45, $2.50 1836 Block 8 AU-50, $2.50 1865-S XF-45, $5,00 1838 VF-35, $5.00 1893-CC AU-55, $5.00 1892-CC VF-20, $5 1854-D VF-20. These are just a few I have been able to add at great prices.
  • One of my fav sites, He has a great eye for coins
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I use the "Dollar Store" for those....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file