Home Precious Metals
Options

Bloomberg: "Silver May Drop 20% as Coins Signal ‘Crowd’: Technical Analysis"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
Silver May Drop 20% as Coins Signal ‘Crowd’: Technical Analysis
January 20, 2011, 12:07 AM EST
By Pham-Duy Nguyen

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Silver prices may retreat as much as 20 percent this year as soaring demand for physical metal signals a “crowded” trade, said Barry James, the chief executive officer of James Investment Research Inc.

Sales of 1-ounce American Eagle silver coins have totaled 4,588,000 in January, heading for a record, according to data from the U.S. Mint. Silver futures in New York rallied 84 percent last year, climbing to a 30-year high of $31.275 an ounce on Jan. 3, as investors sought a haven against financial turmoil.

“The coin sales are an indication of the level of interest in silver,” said James, who oversees $2.4 billion in Xenia, Ohio. “It’s too popular. When the crowd discovers a good deal, it’s usually long over.”

Prices have more than doubled in two years as investors bought precious metals to protect against a weakening U.S dollar and Europe’s financial crisis. Holdings in exchange-traded products backed by silver have dropped 1.6 percent since touching a record in mid-December. The metal tumbled 24 percent in 2008 after gaining for seven straight years.

“After a period of outperformance from silver, we would be taking a little off the table,” James said. “It’s more likely that silver will have a correction in price rather than a surge.”

Link

Comments

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭
    I am just curious, that article says silver fell 24% in 2008, but as I recall it fell from about $22 down to $9....how is that 24%?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver regularly has 30+% drops and typically it has at least one 20% drop every year.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver regularly has 30+% drops and typically it has at least one 20% drop every year. >>

Yeppers
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out why this huge demand is going to cause the price to fall.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am just curious, that article says silver fell 24% in 2008, but as I recall it fell from about $22 down to $9....how is that 24%? >>

Because he's a "technical analyst" and not a mathematician. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    2008-2009-2010 SAE - 85 Million
    2011 SAE - 50 Million MORE Ounces tucked away from industry

Got Solar image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Let me sum up

Silver is in short supply. Thus the more we need to use,

the lower the price of silver should drop. Makes sense to me.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still trying to figure out why this huge demand is going to cause the price to fall.........

image >>

Manipulated market?

Every now and then the manipulators need to take their profits and let the "shoe clerks" take the losses.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    20% pullback from $31 is $25 which is what many people believe will be the bottom, but I'm guessing it may only get down to $26-27 and that will happen in less then a month.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver prices may retreat as much as 20 percent this year as soaring demand for physical metal signals a “crowded” trade, said Barry James, the chief executive officer of James Investment Research Inc.

Um, if silver is a crowded trade, what does that make Treasuries?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i think both gold and silver could test their 150 DMA's in the next two, three weeks. ~ $23 for silver and ~ $1300 gold.

paper prices that is
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver May Drop 20% as Coins Signal ‘Crowd’: Technical Analysis
    January 20, 2011, 12:07 AM EST
    By Pham-Duy Nguyen

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Silver prices may retreat as much as 20 percent this year as soaring demand for physical metal signals a “crowded” trade, said Barry James, the chief executive officer of James Investment Research Inc.

Sales of 1-ounce American Eagle silver coins have totaled 4,588,000 in January, heading for a record, according to data from the U.S. Mint. Silver futures in New York rallied 84 percent last year, climbing to a 30-year high of $31.275 an ounce on Jan. 3, as investors sought a haven against financial turmoil.

“The coin sales are an indication of the level of interest in silver,” said James, who oversees $2.4 billion in Xenia, Ohio. “It’s too popular. When the crowd discovers a good deal, it’s usually long over.”

Prices have more than doubled in two years as investors bought precious metals to protect against a weakening U.S dollar and Europe’s financial crisis. Holdings in exchange-traded products backed by silver have dropped 1.6 percent since touching a record in mid-December. The metal tumbled 24 percent in 2008 after gaining for seven straight years.

“After a period of outperformance from silver, we would be taking a little off the table,” James said. “It’s more likely that silver will have a correction in price rather than a surge.”

Link >>

The man is mad.

That's only 55 million a year or 1.8 billion dollars at todays prices.

That's $6 per American per year!!!! And sales of 55,000,000 would remove a large percentage of available silver from the market.

I don't think the magnitude of the potential move is really very widely appreciated.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some technical analysis.

The average Chinesse makes $3 a week and saves much of it. The Chinese government
    is encouraging them to buy silver and gold. With so little money per individual it's prob-
    able most would go into silver. $50 per year savings for 1.2 billion Chinese would be about
    30 times the amount being bought in eagles and is greater than the total amount of avail-
    able silver.

He should crunch these numbers.

Maybe China is just the first company engaging in a silver buying panic and the govern-
    ment is seeking the assistance of their population to secure metal.
    Tempus fugit.