Home U.S. Coin Forum

I Cannot Believe the Garbage that I Received from the US Mint Yesterday! Unbelievable!!!

I received my latest order from the US Mint yesterday. Holy cow! What a bunch of crap. Way worse than anything that I have ever received before.

With the unjustified increase in prices this year, for the first time I planned to stay away from most of the annual sets. While they are not my main collecting interest, I have complete Mint, Proof, SMS, Silver Proof, Premier Silver, Prestige sets from the late 1950's to today. Since the price of the 2011 regular proof set stayed reasonable, I ordered one and also a couple of each the Lincoln Presidential Dollar/First Spouse Medal sets and a couple of the Lincoln $1 Coin Cover. The two Lincoln items were a first for me with these kind of sets. I basically picked them up for the Lincoln aspect.

Anyway, the Proof Set quality is horrible. There is hair in two of the lenses, one of them has three pieces of 1/4-1/2" long hair (arm hair/eye lashes?). A lot, a mean a lot, of cardboard pieces scatterred through the lenses and on the coins. The coins have marks, stains, and a general garbage look to them. Really crappy. I'm not anal about things, but this set just sucks.

Now to the Lincoln sets. The First Spouse medals in the sets were nice. The Lincoln $1 were horrible. These $1 coins were beat to hell. They look like they've been in hard circulation for a while. How could they possibly think it was a good idea to put these in a "High Priced Numismatic Set". I am really astounded that the mint sent out these Lincoln dollar products like this.

I feal like a real idiot getting the screwgy (NJ word) like this

They made it easy for me to make up my mind and cease ordering from them. I'm a little sad about it, I always enjoyed collecting the sets. But with these prices and absolute lack of quality, count be out.

Utter, Complete, Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!

John
Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.

Comments

• No pics.
    We are in the market for a new camera. We had an accident with ours over the holidays, it wasn't a good one, no macro even.
    I have never been able to take a coin pic anyway.
    I have heard some similar comments about the $1 sets, someone probably has some pics.
    I'd love to see some others also.
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send them back...then in the future, when the sets first come out go down to your local dealer that has a pile of the new sets and pick out of their selection...that is probably how I would do it. Save yourself some time, trouble etc. Might be your best solution at this point? Let someone else go through the trouble...and maybe you pay an extra couple of dollars for it but at least you end up with something you are proud of for your set.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John, every now & then, that's what comes out of the Mint, and there's really no option than to send the whole order back & re-order. There's a small upside to ordering your stuff directly from the Mint, and that is when you get really nice stuff, and also when you come up with something special. Two of my 2010 Unc Sets had the "Missing Edge Lettering" Sacagawea coins in the Denver flat, and that made those years of weeding through the crap all worthwhile.

How did the Lincolns in your First Day Covers look? I keep mine unopened generally, but the last time I opened some they weren't all that great either.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I've heard similar comments from others. Their QC seems to be going downhill. And with the aggressive product schedule for this year, I don't think things are going to change anytime soon.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine were great.

there are no cardboard inserts this year!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    the colored piece you see is an all in one plastic holder and insert.

it is molded for the coin cups and the "in between" sections are colored.

so you have bits of plastic floating around.

I was able to gently open mine this year without any damage at all. give the lens a little twist to open a gap at the top and slip a box cutter/utility knife blade in and slowly pry around the edges to open.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    all of my coins were spot free this year.

I was amazed at the lack of "rinse spots"

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its been amazing thats for sure
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    I just received my 2 2011 Proof sets for the kids, and one of them has the dime upside-down!! The other has the half rotated about 1/8th of the way.

Should I keep it or send it back? Will that impact any future resale value?

And do I have to spring for the shipping?!image

Otherwise, they look ok. I wish they could figure out a better way to package them, still, as it still takes a magician to see the mintmark on the sides of the dollars...... the most inane thing they ever came up with..... Maybe the motto's fine on the edge, but NOT the mintmark!!

Also, they packed the 2 sets in a box that was WAY too big for them, so they were rattling-around even with the paper stuffing they had around it....... They really should have a better range of packing sizes/materials....

- - Daveimage
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

I have to return an item in about every other order, but I have to say that overall I'm very pleased with the products I receive from the Mint. The return system is reliable and easy, and my replacements are almost always nice. For someone wanting in on the ground floor of coins that will be classics in the future, they are really the best game in town IMO.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    With the Washington and Jefferson Presidential Spouse Medal sets now fetching $100..........I think the Lincolns have some potential.
  • It has been a long time since I had to return something to the mint.
    Back then you would have to call them about paying return shipping and they would send a goverment check to cover it.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I had to return every set I ordered last year due to hair, cardboard and foreign matter inside the cases.
    Add to that the spots on the coins and back everything went for a refund. I will not be ordering any sets in 2011.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just received my 2 2011 Proof sets for the kids, and one of them has the dime upside-down!! The other has the half rotated about 1/8th of the way.

Should I keep it or send it back? Will that impact any future resale value?

And do I have to spring for the shipping?!image

Otherwise, they look ok. I wish they could figure out a better way to package them, still, as it still takes a magician to see the mintmark on the sides of the dollars...... the most inane thing they ever came up with..... Maybe the motto's fine on the edge, but NOT the mintmark!!

Also, they packed the 2 sets in a box that was WAY too big for them, so they were rattling-around even with the paper stuffing they had around it....... They really should have a better range of packing sizes/materials....

- - Daveimage >>

...it's certainly upsetting to pay MORE money for slip-shod quality control products! image

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.... so I guess that means I have to foot the shipping bill for the return? SUX!

Does anyone know whether the upside-down dime would cause the set to lose much value? Just a matter of aesthetics, I guess....... But if a major hit to value, then likely worth returning......

- - Daveimage
  • No issues with my 2 sets. Both were in perfect condition, no debris inside the lenses.

Even the UNC Mint set was in great condition.

Course too, the Mint set and 1 Proof set will be removed from the OGP and placed in 2x2s for my binders.

<< <i>Yeah.... so I guess that means I have to foot the shipping bill for the return? SUX!

Does anyone know whether the upside-down dime would cause the set to lose much value? Just a matter of aesthetics, I guess....... But if a major hit to value, then likely worth returning......

- - Daveimage >>

maybe, but you can pop open the case and re-orient the coin and pick out the bits of plastic.

• ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I'd ordered a couple of the ATB uncirculated sets, along with a few other items, and when I received them only 2 weeks ago, of the 10 coins in each set, only 3-4 of each were acceptable coins. The rest were so banged up, nicked and covered with lint/dust, whatever, that I sent them both back for replacements. That was 10 days ago, and yesterday, got notice the replacements had been shipped! That was fast.

Now, to see if they've gotten any better the 2nd time around...

I must say, when the 5 ASE's I'd ordered came in the same way, I sent every one of them back... 3 weeks later, their replacements arrived, and every one of them is perfect.

Go figure... image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...now someone is holding their breath worrying if THEY'LL get the ones YOU sent back! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I probably should have asked for replacements on the 40 2010 proof eagles but I was so disgusted with the quality that I decided to buy what I wanted on ebay instead.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, low grade Proof sets from the mint ...

That's why I go to my local dealer and pay him a premium so that I can paw through the cases and put together some sets of decent coins.

I'm not buying these things to crack them out to get PR-70 DCam slabs. I just want decent coins for my Proof set run which starts with a 1942 set.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file