Home U.S. Coin Forum

What Do Original United States Gold Coins Look Like?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
What Do Original United States Gold Coins Look Like?

Great article on the DWN site for those who are interested in learning how to tell if 19th century US gold coins are original. There are quite a few pearls offered that I have not previously read or been told. I could almost hear ol' Doug talking in my ear while I was reading it.

The blog also shows off my post-FUN newp, as one of the featured coins:

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice summary on identifying original, dirty gold.

Thanks.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great column, but I wish he would add a few pictures of some gold that isn't original, and tell me why.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What Do Original United States Gold Coins Look Like?

Great article on the DWN site for those who are interested in learning how to tell if 19th century US gold coins are original. There are quite a few pearls offered that I have not previously read or been told. I could almost hear ol' Doug talking in my ear while I was reading it.

The blog also shows off my post-FUN newp, as one of the featured coins:

image >>

RYK......I hate your Steelers, but love your dirty gold!!!!!!!!! image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the heads up. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Yep, really enjoyable and beneficial read.------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good read, but hard to appreciate "dirty gold" originality from pictures......
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good read, but hard to appreciate "dirty gold" originality from pictures...... >>

I agree. I prefer to appreciate them in my hand. image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great column, but I wish he would add a few pictures of some gold that isn't original, and tell me why. >>

Okay, I'll show you one, and yes, I own it.

This 1834, plain 4, Capped Bust half eagle is a bit too bright to be original. The surfaces don't have subdued look of an old gold coin that has accumulated some natural surface oxidation over the years. There is some “cartwheel” luster within the devices as one would expect for a near Mint State coin of this age, but the fields are simply too bright.

Why did I buy this piece knowing that it was not original? The short answer is money. I did not want to spend close to $100,000 for this type which is what it would take to buy a “perfect” one. Also, realizing my resources, I didn’t want spend years looking for the “perfect” one because overall this is a very scarce type coin in any grade. David Bowers estimated in his Guide Book on U. S. Type Coins that there are a total of 475 to 750 examples of this type (1829 to 1834) in existence in all grades. That estimate includes damaged coins and pieces that have had FAR MORE numismatic abuse than this coin. In the past I have turned down pieces that had been worked on far more than this piece that were priced several thousand dollars more.

And here is a piece of the next type that has its original surfaces. Compare the two, and you will see a distinct difference.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file