Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you pay to have a coin graded.....

if the price of the grading is the same or exceeds the value of the coin?

Would your answer be different if you were building a complete set?

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it several times. Such is the downside to "For Everyman" Registry sets.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done it only for a set coin.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if the price of the grading is the same or exceeds the value of the coin?

Would your answer be different if you were building a complete set? >>

No, No.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but then I wouldn't pay to have one of my coins graded even if the value far exceeded the cost of grading. I have, however, UNGRADED many coins.

Edit to add: This concerns my collection only. Many other people obviously do want their coins in slabs.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Only thing I ever paid for to get graded was a trade dollar to make sure it wasn't counterfeit

Only thing I can see paying for in the future would be non age gold for the same reason stated above
  • I do that for some coins that have sentimental value, for example, if they are in birth years
    of my ancestors.

But I mostly do that with world coins from my ancestors' countries of origin, since those
    coins in those years would be less common in slabs.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I sent in about fifty coins when I built the 1968 to present Mint set.
    Have since then sold almost all of them at about grading fees or a little less.
    It was a fun set Still at #3.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would gladly pay to have a coin graded only if I were to sell it and thought I would net more money with a slabbed coin.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given what I believe to be inconsistencies in grading I have seen over the years, I submit as little as possible. I try to buy coins in holders I like so the issue doesn't come up often.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

• << <i>if the price of the grading is the same or exceeds the value of the coin?

Would your answer be different if you were building a complete set? >>

The actual question should be, do you think it's worth the cost for the opinion of a TPG service?

My answer is no.
  • no but i do enjoy buying other peoples mistakes!
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    For my sets? Yes, of course. I'm working on a complete set of VF-XF Barbers, so a lot of the dimes, and to be fair, some of the quarters aren't "worth" slabbing but I'm doing the whole set... yada yada.

And then there's the lowball Walker set.......
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if it was a very special coin because of sentimental value.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics

• << <i>no but i do enjoy buying other peoples mistakes! >>

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is a Poor 01 capped bust half dime worth less than eighteen dollars? If so, my answer is yes.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done it a couple of times where I got lucky purchasing a relatively rare variety for the complete variety set of Mercury Dimes for really cheap. If it were not for the complete variety set my answer would be...

No, no, no!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Maybe yes if I wanted a graded set.

Sometimes you can buy one already graded for less than the grading fee.
    Ed
  • Thanks for all of your responses and opinions!

I agree that it doesn't make sense to do that unless I'm building a set. I do plan to look for some of the common date coins at shows to see if I can find them already in the slab and possibly trade an unslabbed coin for it.

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope

1997-present

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file