Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why can't the mint....with Congressional approval and direction...

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
do a series, for circulation, that is a duplication of existing 18th and 19th
coinage? Just change the date. That would be cool and collectible.
Imagine a half dime of 2011?
Half cents might be a problem.
A seated quarter dollar? Cool.

Could have fun with this. Perhaps even put Mint Marks on coins that
no longer have the mints up and running. CC's and nah, forget it.

bobimage

edited the title for obviouserrroers.
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    The US Mint cannot do anything without Congressional approval which requires laws to be written.

Not only that, but the dies for all those classic designs were destroyed long ago. Anything produced today would interpretations and most certainly would lack the relief and pazzazz of those old designs. If Congress were listening, I'm sure folks would be disappointed with what was eventually produced.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Mint cannot do anything without Congressional approval which requires laws to be written.

Not only that, but the dies for all those classic designs were destroyed long ago. Anything produced today would interpretations and most certainly would lack the relief and pazzazz of those old designs. If Congress were listening, I'm sure folks would be disappointed with what was eventually produced. >>

Hmmmm, aren't you a barrel of laughs! Let's just reverse engineer a few and get some new dies made asap!
    I bet we could counterfeit our own coins if we tried. After all, a few peasant Chinese can do so!
    bobimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

• << <i>The US Mint cannot do anything without Congressional approval which requires laws to be written.

Not only that, but the dies for all those classic designs were destroyed long ago. Anything produced today would interpretations and most certainly would lack the relief and pazzazz of those old designs. If Congress were listening, I'm sure folks would be disappointed with what was eventually produced. >>

Best leave things alone. Can you imagine all the riders attached to the bill allowing the Mint to make the coins. We would be in deep mmmm what's the word I'm looking for here?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...no offense but i don't like the idea. just like i don't care for the silver eagles copying the walking liberty halves

likeness. it seems like laziness on design creation. jmo. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already been outsourced to China.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Mint cannot do anything without Congressional approval which requires laws to be written.
    >>

Congress cannot even get it's own act together - ie look at the huge budget deficit. How can you expect them to pull their craniums out of their rectums long enough to do something worthwhile?

Besides Congress panders to special interest group lobbyists like the ones for the copper plated zinc blank manufacturer for the US Mint.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins, for the most part, are made for use in commerce, and we, as collectors, retain them for personal and historical reasons. Frankly I'm not interested in having reproductions of past issues of coins introduced in to the current economy.

Some of the past coins were inconvenient to use. For example the half dime, silver three cent and gold dollar were too small and were either replaced with something better or scrapped. Other coins, as you point out, like the half cent, would have no buying power today. Even in its time the half cent could not buy very much.

I think that it is better to leave the past in the past and collect it. We don’t need any more useless coins that have no purpose in the general economy. The mint is already making half dollars, Sacagawea dollars and presidential dollars that are of no use to most any one other than coin collectors. At a lot of us, who do collect, also do not have much use for them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file