Home U.S. Coin Forum

Canada 1c coin to be phased out???

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just read an article on Numismaster where legislation is being passed that may phase out the 1c coin. What impact do you think this will have on our 1c coin and do you think the legislation will pass?

Article

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I hope they do phase it out and I hope they do the same here. It might be nice if they continued to make proof and mint set cents, maybe out of copper.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Well..... ONE thing that will come out of it is maybe more rolled pennies will be 100% AMERICAN again!!imageimage
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope they do phase it out and I hope they do the same here. It might be nice if they continued to make proof and mint set cents, maybe out of copper. >>

Why put an obsolete coin in modern Proof set? It just doesn't make sense to me except as something else to sell to collectors at inflated prices.

If you want to put an obsolete coin in a proof set, why not bring back the 20 cent piece?

On second thought the Congress might do that, and charge us $50 a set which will break up date sets for some collectors.

Scratch that idea. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...how about the half? isn't THAT obsolete? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>...how about the half? isn't THAT obsolete? image >>

They do make circulation grade strikes even though they don't circulate. If something is made in the business strike format, or if it is only be to be out of production for a year or two, a "Proof only" coin is okay. But if a denomination is DEAD, like the cent would be, it should not be included.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    It's not unprecedented in this country to phase out coins. The 1/2c, 2c, and two-3c coins have been phased out of circulation in the US. There are no 50c circulation coins here either. We'll be left with 5c, 10c, 25c and $1 coins to circulate (assuming we abolish the dollar bill). Our neighbors to the north have the loonie and twoonie to wear out their pockets. Let's follow their lead and start to bang out $2 coins.
    Paul

<< <i>Let's follow their lead and start to bang out $2 coins. >>

The two dollar bill will not circulate. What makes you think that a coin will circulate after the paper money failed?
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, we need only the following (or stop using real money whatsoever and just use debit cards image )

Coins
    10 cent
    50 cent
    $1
    $5

Bills
    $10
    $50
    $100
    $500
  • The 1c has outlived its value in CAN and the US by at least a decade. Get rid of it.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If any jobs are lost because of the demise of the 1-cent coin it won’t be in Canada. Canadian mint production workers would be shifted to other production areas should the cent no longer be minted. The blanks from which the coin is struck, however, have been produced both in the United States and in Europe for more than a decade. It is the foreign facilities where these blanks are made where there could be a job loss. >>

Wonder if the lobbyists for the blank manufacturing firm in the USA have any influence in the Canadian Parliament like they do in the US Congress?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF the US ever eliminated the cent for general circulation:

Not only should they continue Proof examples in bronze, but they should include bronze cents in Mint Sets and mint them for profitable sale by the roll or bag to collectors. Add a big premium (maybe 10 cents each = $500/bag) and the coins will be a huge cash cow for the Mint instead of a drain on resources.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously, we need only the following (or stop using real money whatsoever and just use debit cards image )

Coins
    10 cent
    50 cent
    $1
    $5

Bills
    $10
    $50
    $100
    $500 >>

I couldn't agree more. Knock off a decimal. Keep the dime the current size. Make a half dollar a nickel size, leave the buck coin as is

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    canada?

do we follow canada?

do you know who the prime minister of canada is?

(without google?)

Phase out the cent and replace it with small books of "one cent fractional script". each one, a tear out....about 1/2 inch square, with spiro t. agnews picture on it.

we could then make a 'disgraced politician commem series with the one cent fractional script". Nixon, of course, should have his 'one cent fractional script' piece also.

the paper should be amazingly thin.....almost like charmin toilet paper.

and the book of 100 of these would just about dissolve it a drop water touched it.

put a big nasty staple in real close to the perfs.

its late and im tired.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file