Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post an image of a coin that you believe is ARTIFICIALLY TONED, state why you think it is if you can

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE YOU RUN OFF AND EARN YOURSELF A TIME OUT.

1. Post an image of a coin that you believe is artificially toned...and

2. state why you think it is artificially toned and

3. if you can, state how you think it was artificially toned.

READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOU POST ANY IMAGES:

1. DO NOT BE A IMBECILE (an idiot, a moron) AND POST IMAGES OF COINS THAT ARE IN PCGS, NGC or ANACS HOLDERS, even if you photoshop the holder out. Posting a coin in this thread that is in a PCGS, NGC or ANACS holder is an implied criticism of the grading service and a violation of Rule number 7, to wit:

"Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or services are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be
removed as well."

2. DO NOT IDENTIFY WHO OWNS THE COIN, WHO SOLD IT, WHO YOU THINK ARTIFICIALLY TONED IT OR WHERE YOU GOT THE IMAGE. That would be a violation of Rule number 3 to wit:

"Rule 3) Anyone attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings."

3. If someone screws up and posts an image of a coin in a third party grading holder, identifies an owner of a posted AT coin or any information about who sold it, toned it or where they got the image from, just send them a PM and tell them to edit their post. DO NOT COPY THEIR POST AND THEN COMMENT THAT THEY ARE BREAKING THE RULES. DUH! That's called "republication".

This could be a very educational thread but everyone needs to exercise all 12 neurons before posting.

(Oh, by the way, just a totally OT comment......eBay has some great bargains in used hair nets if you need any.)

Comments

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have a bad feeling about this one...
    imageimage
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am translating from slides to digital here, so it loses something in the translations, if you catch my drift, but here goes.

The obverse colors on this 1853 dime were brighter in real life, which made more of a give away.

imageimage

And this 1838 half dime shows that recoloring is not always used to give the coin color, just dullness to hide an old cleaning. The spot by the foot was brighter when you saw this piece in person.

imageimage

When I upgraded these pieces from my collection, one dealer was always there to snap them up as soon as I put them out. They are all marked as "recolored."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these type of threads have gone poof in the past because of the "criticism" aspects.

I hope people just post pictures that they host themselves so there is no connection between the owner and the coin and the AT thread.

Likewise, famously recognizable coins should also not be posted.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • imageimage
    I love this coin but I knew when I bought it the color was off.
    No hair lines or anything like that maybe a old dipping I not sure but its a beatufull coin and I use it for display. It now resided's in a geniune slab code 91.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>these type of threads have gone poof in the past because of the "criticism" aspects.

I hope people just post pictures that they host themselves so there is no connection between the owner and the coin and the AT thread.

Likewise, famously recognizable coins should also not be posted. >>

Are you talking about THAT Peace dollar?
    theknowitalltroll;
    One last piece. I bought this 1872 silver dollar in the late 1980s at the ANA that was held in Atlanta. I thought that it was an attractive AU example, but the TPG called it AT. I put it out in my case marked as such, and another dealer bought within less than hour. I still think that it was a great buy for Dansco based type collection at a few hundred dollars less than a grand.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

A bit different take on this one. First, the colors in the photo are true to the coin. I found this raw at a local coin show (the coin is still raw). My first impression was that the coin could well be AT due to the vibrant and unusual coloration; however, there is pull-away toning on the obverse (date and stars) that led me to the conclusion that is was NT. Bottom line is that I bought the coin (for ~ $30). After photographing and posting on the boards the question of AT was raised due primarily to the unusual colors. I can't argue with that conclusion. Inspection of the reverse denticles shows them to have color that looks as though is was painted on. I now lean very much towards the conclusion that this coin is AT. The confusion for me is the pull-away on the obverse; I assumed that pull-away toning is diagnostic of NT coins. I imagine that I picked that notion up on these boards.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Bought this from a well known ATer on Ebay. When I got it I asked him if the stuff he used to tone the coin would hurt it.....he told me no. This is an early example of his work. Over the years he, or whoever does the ATing for him, got way better at it. He sold hundreds, maybe thousands of these coins and changed IDs on Ebay at least three times before I finally lost track of him. The most interesting part is how the only bad feedback he ever got, was the the coins weren't as colorful as his pictures indicated.....he juiced the pics of his ATed coins....image

Becky
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

A bit different take on this one. First, the colors in the photo are true to the coin. I found this raw at a local coin show (the coin is still raw). My first impression was that the coin could well be AT due to the vibrant and unusual coloration; however, there is pull-away toning on the obverse (date and stars) that led me to the conclusion that is was NT. Bottom line is that I bought the coin (for ~ $30). After photographing and posting on the boards the question of AT was raised due primarily to the unusual colors. I can't argue with that conclusion. Inspection of the reverse denticles shows them to have color that looks as though is was painted on. I now lean very much towards the conclusion that this coin is AT. The confusion for me is the pull-away on the obverse; I assumed that pull-away toning is diagnostic of NT coins. I imagine that I picked that notion up on these boards. >>

I agree that this is AT. The pull away on the date can be accomplished with an air brush at an angle from the center toward the
    rim. Then cover that portion and paint the rims.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yean This ones AT cause I AT'd it myself.

Dipped it in cyanide solution, rinsed it, wrapped it in a taco bell napkin and put it under a stuffed bunny rabbit. This march will be 2 years...and its got more color now than this image taken last march.

imageimage
  • That's some color on that coin! I'd say you did fine for $30 (what made you not submit it anyway? Just to prove it to yourself).

Also, I'm going to follow the rules and not post a pic, but if a coin was suspected AT, sent in anyway, and the grading service got it right, ie Artificial Toning MS-XX Details on the holder, I don't see why those couldn't be posted.
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like NT to me from sittting in an album or some type of cardboard holder.

<< <i>image

A bit different take on this one. First, the colors in the photo are true to the coin. I found this raw at a local coin show (the coin is still raw). My first impression was that the coin could well be AT due to the vibrant and unusual coloration; however, there is pull-away toning on the obverse (date and stars) that led me to the conclusion that is was NT. Bottom line is that I bought the coin (for ~ $30). After photographing and posting on the boards the question of AT was raised due primarily to the unusual colors. I can't argue with that conclusion. Inspection of the reverse denticles shows them to have color that looks as though is was painted on. I now lean very much towards the conclusion that this coin is AT. The confusion for me is the pull-away on the obverse; I assumed that pull-away toning is diagnostic of NT coins. I imagine that I picked that notion up on these boards. >>

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it was an attempt at AT or just a dip in MS70 (shrug?)

PS It's my coin. image
  • TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>Looks like NT to me from sittting in an album or some type of cardboard holder.

>>

I agree.

<< <i>I'm not sure if it was an attempt at AT or just a dip in MS70 (shrug?)

PS It's my coin. image >>

I think that this 1869 Two Cent piece was more the victim of a bad dip with the effects of the dip residue left on it than an attempt to artificially tone it.
  • Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

This Kennedy once resided in a third world slab and I decided to liberate this attractively artificially toned coin. I am not a coin doctor and have no idea how this coin was toned. But I would love to hear opinions from others on how it came to look like this.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    This one, because I colored it in my chamber of secrets.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Partagas -- cigar smoke or ashes? Is that part of your chamber of secrets? Just asking, not accusing.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    a couple pics from our forum member Mrspud

I think they are artificially toned because Mrspud said so (not many people will lie and say they made artifically toned coins)

and they make ugly coins look just too good to be natural

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file