Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hats off to Glenview Coins & Collectibles in Glenview, IL

I took my 9 year old nephew there over the holiday break, bought him an IHC folder, loupe and a copy of photograde, then set him up with some lower-grade IHC's to start. The shop treated him very well (gave him very good deals) and gave him tons of encourgaement even when he occupied prime real estate right at the counter for an extended period of time. They were very busy too with several higher-value deals being made while we were there (I've talked to him about coin courtesy sinceimage). He has since gone back several times and they have always really treated him well...I think it's working too as he has caught the fever. Nice job Glenview!

On a side note, I was beaming with pride when my nephew called me the other day and told me he how he looked at several IHCs and bought the one that was "problem-free". How cool is that?

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Right on! I like hearing stories about young budding collectors. I used to work at a B&M, and I always had a stockpile of stuff to give out to kids that showed interest in coins.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I used to frequent Glenview Coins a lot when I lived on the North Shore, and I agree they are top notch. I wonder if John is still the owner?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to frequent Glenview Coins a lot when I lived on the North Shore, and I agree they are top notch. I wonder if John is still the owner? >>

Yes he is. One of the good guys!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Nice story. It might be time to talk to his parents about a raise in his allowance image
  • John is a great guy. He has always treated me better than right.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Yeah, John & crew are a-ok! He was one of the 1st PCGS dealers in Chi-land.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!

It's nice to hear about a B&M store that is doing it right. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I really like John and Glenview Coins. I got some of my favorite coins there and a few other things for that matter.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    You think he has any Franklin's for sale ?

And I sure did love that Verne feller that worked there .......but that was so very long ago ; not too many coin dealers here in Tennessee
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You think he has any Franklin's for sale ?

And I sure did love that Verne feller that worked there .......but that was so very long ago ; not too many coin dealers here in Tennessee >>

Just punch the shop name into Google and call him...
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story!
    If we don't get the next generation interested in coin collecting who will buy our collections when we have finished taking our turn as caretaker?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good story...

I hope that even when the so-called big people come in that they recognize the importance of a nine year old collector in the store and just do the right thing... I think that is part of the hobby and seeing it move in the right direction

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file