Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the most spectacular US die variety?

2»

Comments

• Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I am a fan of the 1939 Doubled Monticello Jefferson Nickel.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    How about the 1959 lincoln with the wheat reverse?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1936/1929-S Mercury Dime image

image >>

Honesly, that just looks like some deep die polishing.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have always been partial to the spiked-chin 1804 half cents.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about the 1853/4 Quarter, the only backwards overdate? >>

Would that be an underdate? image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

<< <i>Here's a link to a site with photos of one of my favorite doubled dies, the 1970-S DDO Lincoln cent. http://www.lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/1970Sddo1.html >>

Linkie
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • 55 DDO without a doubt.
  • I may be biased but how about this?

<< <i>I am a fan of the 1939 Doubled Monticello Jefferson Nickel.

image >>

I agree, that is pretty spectacular! image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the varieties mentioned so far a very cool but fall short of spectacular IMO.

This is simply spectacular:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1873 DDO dime has even more separation than the 1955 DDO cent. I don't have a pic, but it is in the CPG.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The 1955 DD cent. Modern, so many were able to see one, not especially scarce, dramatic hub rotation with wide separation. Also, it was something people could look for in their pocket change.

<< <i>Most of the varieties mentioned so far a very cool but fall short of spectacular IMO.

image >>

"That's a nice 'un!" image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even close
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    1955 Double Die cent. It's the only error I'd like to own an example of.

<< <i>1955 Double Die cent. It's the only error I'd like to own an example of. >>

Interesting ... hmmm ... I'd much rather own one of everything!!

It sure looks like the 1955 Doubled Die is the clear winner, here, folks, anybody else have nominations?

Personally I also like the 1817/4, more spectacular in a commercial than a literal sense. And I think the 1969-S is a close second to the 55 Doubled Die.

BUT ... we also haven't heard from any large cent collectors except the nomination for the 1801 Three Errors, a cool one for sure. I think the Starred Reverse is pretty spectacular too ...

Others? More pictures?

• << <i>Most of the varieties mentioned so far a very cool but fall short of spectacular IMO.

image >>

I agree, it is spectacular. When it comes down to it, you can't really beat the '55 DDO.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

<< <i>The 1873 DDO dime has even more separation than the 1955 DDO cent. I don't have a pic, but it is in the CPG. >>

Not to pick a disagreement but the 1873 is not even close. Sure it has some wide separation but only in the shield and banner. The 55/55 on the otherhand is nearly perfect rotated hub doubling with doubling occuring over the "entire" coin, not just an isolated spot.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1873 DDO dime has even more separation than the 1955 DDO cent. I don't have a pic, but it is in the CPG. >>

This one is also plated on the Seated Dime Variety web book (Linky dinky doo)

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

<< <i>image >>

mgood that is one more beautiful 1916 Doubled Die nickel! image

Dare I ask ... is it yours? Thanks for sharing.
  • swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    IMO, the '55 DDO without any question, with the '69-S DDO second.

I'd always heard that the 1958 DDO cent was spectacular, but have never seen one in hand. After looking at pictures, it needs one thing to match the two above -- significant doubling on the date. Link to PCGS press release on Stewart Blay's 1958 DDO cent
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
    The simple answer is to ask a non-coin collector what their opinion might be.

Show this thread to them, being sure to show each coin photo and ask them which one is the most "spectacular".

I asked my wife and her response was the 55/55. Everything esle had to be explained or pointed out.

To me, if its authentic and obvious and yet needs no explanation.................then its spectacular.

The name is LEE!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The simple answer is to ask a non-coin collector what their opinion might be.

Show this thread to them, being sure to show each coin photo and ask them which one is the most "spectacular".

I asked my wife and her response was the 55/55. Everything esle had to be explained or pointed out.

To me, if its authentic and obvious and yet needs no explanation.................then its spectacular. >>

You'll get the same response from most coin collectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    One of my favorites...

<< <i>I may be biased but how about this?

image >>

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The simple answer is to ask a non-coin collector what their opinion might be.

To me, if its authentic and obvious and yet needs no explanation.................then its spectacular. >>

Yeah its been fun suggesting other varieties, but upon further review you have to go with the '55. Best naked eye variety around.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as spectacular as some others here, but always one of my favorites

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

<< <i>Not as spectacular as some others here, but always one of my favorites

image >>

"That's a nice 'un"
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my list with the best at the top!
    1. 1955 DDO 1c
    2. 1942/1 10c
    3. 1916/1916 5c
    4. 1939 DDR 5c
    5. 1937-D 3-Leg 5c
    6. 1820/19 Curl Base 2 50c is cool too...
    7. 1936/1929-S 10c ....I had to ruffle some feathers you know! image

Greg

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the 1937-D three legged buffalo nickel.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the 1937-D three legged buffalo nickel. >>

Look at Page 2...and my post just before yours. image

I think I might have been the first to mention the 1942/1 10c though... and it is #2 on my list.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the 1937-D three legged buffalo nickel. >>

Look at Page 2...and my post just before yours. image >>

Two great minds...........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file