Home U.S. Coin Forum

1998 Kennedy 2 coin BU Collectors set question

The set I'm referring to is the 1998 Kennedy Collectors set with a Unc RFK dollar and a Unc JFK silver half dollar. The 2011 Redbook lists it at $400 and the current greysheet has a bid of $175 on this 2 coin set. Can anyone offer a reason for the premium?

Thanks

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• I think it's a satin finish half dollar.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint officially labeled the half dollar as a “Matte Proof.” This was the first time in many years that the mint had issued an official Matter Proof, and one of the few instances that a silver Matte Proof coin would be generally available to collectors.

Interestingly the Robert Kennedy silver dollar that accompanied the JFK Matte Proof had pretty much the same finish.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint officially labeled the half dollar as a “Matte Proof.” This was the first time in many years that the mint had issued an official Matter Proof, and one of the few instances that a silver Matte Proof coin would be generally available to collectors.

Interestingly the Robert Kennedy silver dollar that accompanied the JFK Matte Proof had pretty much the same finish. >>

Thanks!! image
    forgot to ask, How many of these sets were sold? image
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Yeoman's Red Book is great for information on numismatics; however, it is terrible for price guides.

Go by Greysheet, numismedia, teletrade, and heritage for more reliable price sources.

<< <i>63k >>

Thank you image
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeoman's Red Book is great for information on numismatics; however, it is terrible for price guides.

Go by Greysheet, numismedia, teletrade, and heritage for more reliable price sources. >>

Greysheet is also a little low sometimes as well- its oriented for a dealer to buy stuff after all ...
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeoman's Red Book is great for information on numismatics; however, it is terrible for price guides.

Go by Greysheet, numismedia, teletrade, and heritage for more reliable price sources. >>

Actually I have found that Redbook prices are not out of line with reality.

all the coins on my want list sell for more than Redbook prices.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Unless the value has REALLY tanked, Greysheet isn't even close on this set.

Russ, NCNE
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The half dollar in PCGS SP69 sells for around $150.00 and SP70 goes for $600.00+ and most of them are made that good.
    Don't have any info for the dollar as I do not collect those.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't have any info for the dollar as I do not collect those. >>

I've always thought the reverse looked good. image
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I recently took some pictures of mine for a post ATS. I just love the "crushed pearl" look of the half.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't recall ever seeing that set at $175.
    Seems they commonly sell in the $250 range + or -.
    I'll buy it for $175 image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>I can't recall ever seeing that set at $175.
    Seems they commonly sell in the $250 range + or -.
    I'll buy it for $175 image >>

The reason I said $175 was that a dealer had a box of silver commems on his table with a sign that said, "Sold at greysheet bid". I looked through the box and saw the Kennedy set and asked him what the bid on the set was and he looked it up and said $175. Wish I knew then what I know now. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file