Home U.S. Coin Forum

Counterfeit question

I search the coinstar at my work many times a day and when I have to open it to fix a problem I check the junk tray and dirt cup. Last night I had to unjam someones nasty coins and decided to check it all. I found a 1804 dollar which I knew was fake. I researched the fake 1804s and found it to be a chinese fake. I was wondering if this could be worth any money as a counterfeit or if these were made of silver and I should melt it down?

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Send it to DCarr and turn it into a 1964-D Peace Dollar. image

They're not worth anything... join the military, deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq and you can buy all you want for less than a dollar apiece.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the chinese fakes are not silver
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far as I'm concerned a pox on all Chinese counterfeits!!! Don’t feed the animal! Any garbage they produce and market should be smelted down to honest decent metal.

And any collector who aids and abets the sale of Chinese counterfeits in any form deserves censure and ridicule. A collector who does that is like a man who pours gasoline on his house after it catches fire.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Alrighty I think Ill make a fun counter stamp to stamp across it and pocket piece it, or maybe hobo dollar it into a chinese counterfeiter.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if theyll ever get the weights down how long it will take for them to flood stuff like the coin star machines.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file