Home U.S. Coin Forum

$10 gold Washington commemorative – 1932

In 1931 a $10 gold coin commemorating the Washington bicentennial was proposed. There was to be a $1 surcharge. Do you think this large denomination coin would have sold well in 1932?

(President Hoover had already said he'd veto all commemorative ("special") coin bills sent for his signature.

Comments

• JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Probably not, but I will take one. Did you find any proposed designs?
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger:

It would have been ironic to have sold that gold coin in 1931 and than rounded them back up again in 1933. Anyway, given the state of the economy, I don't think there would have been a huge demand for buying $10 worth of gold for $11. Well-heeled collectors probably would have bought one or two, but I think the demand from others would have been minimal.

I thought the 1932 Washington quarter was initially proposed as a one-year commemorative. Was the $10 gold commemorative in addition to the quarter? Or was it an alternative?
    Mark

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The $10 was to be promoted as the "George Washington Bicentennial Eagle." Mint director Grant squashed the idea before it got any support.

The Treasury proposed a Washington quarter as a replacement for the Standing Liberty design. It was never a special commemorative, simply a circulating replacement much like the Peace dollar.

The coin’s story really revolves around the egos of Andrew Mellon and Charles Moore. Flanagan and Fraser got caught in the middle.

FYI – Flanagan’s original reverse had an eagle feeding her chicks.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $11, even considering that it was for a $10 gold piece, would have to been too high for a commemorative coin PRIOR to the Great Depression. While some big time Wall Street rollers might have been able to put away $10, for most folks in the 1920s that would have been more than they would have been willing to spend. The Panama Pacific three piece set (half dollar, gold dollar and quarter eagle) sold for $7.50, and I don't think it sold that well even with a very successful world's fair to support those sales.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The $10 was to be promoted as the "George Washington Bicentennial Eagle." Mint director Grant squashed the idea before it got any support.

The Treasury proposed a Washington quarter as a replacement for the Standing Liberty design. It was never a special commemorative, simply a circulating replacement much like the Peace dollar.

The coin’s story really revolves around the egos of Andrew Mellon and Charles Moore. Flanagan and Fraser got caught in the middle.

FYI – Flanagan’s original reverse had an eagle feeding her chicks. >>

Like the American Eagle reverse? Interesting!

I doubt if they would have sold many of the commemorative $10's in 1932 at $11. Couple of thousand, maybe.

However, there were a lot of regular issue $10's made (and saved via exportation) in 1932. Had they done a one-year circulating commemorative $10 in 1932 they might have met the same fate. We'll never know.

Thanks for the tidbit, Roger!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file