Home Sports Talk
Options

Bears vs. Packers Game of the Ages

Wow only the second time these two have met in the postseason, rodgers has been on fire but the bears D has contained him in each outing in the regular season. What gives next sunday?

Comments

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Packers 31
    Bears 17

The bad Cutler shows up against a good defense.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow only the second time these two have met in the postseason, rodgers has been on fire but the bears D has contained him in each outing in the regular season. What gives next sunday? >>

First time since 1941 - almost hard to believe.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<The bad Cutler shows up against a good defense. >>>

I agree. He almost showed up against Seattle with that goal line throw right into the defensive backs hands. If he returned that 100 yds to tie that game 7-7, the game might have been completely different.
  • Options
    The game is going to come down to what the CHI/GB games always come down to. Turnovers.
    Both defenses are good enough to stop both offenses. The Bears will run Forte about 25 times, and Cutler throws check-downs all game.
    Bears will 9-6 in a FG only game.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    A Bears, Packers and Seahawks fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves his team more. The Seahawks fan insists that he is the most loyal. "This is for the Seahawks!" He yells, and jumps off the side of the mountain. Not to be outdone, the Bears fan is next to profess his love for his team. He yells, "this is for the Bears!" And pushes the Packers fan off the mountain... GO BEARS!

class photo

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    that is a great photo the the GB fan, just curious how many school administrators got fired for the picture, which would be considered in bad taste in today's viewing of worldly topics......I think it's great but so many folks today get up in arms if you look at them the wrong way....
  • Options
    But it's a Favre jersey?!?
    That exact same picture is taking place in 95+% of WI schools too!
  • Options
    It's an old picture someone e-mailed me last time the Bears were on their way to the superbowl.

Seriously, if the Bears get to the Superbowl it might be enough exposure for Richard Dent to finally get in the Hall of Fame. It's the 25th annaversary of the '85 Bears and I'm sure the media would beat that team to death during the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    it should be fun.

i have to agree with inMySock.

as for the pic that is priceless. i wouldnt have sat close to those other kids either. that kid has the inner glow that he could care less. i can only image the song that is going through his head...
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>it should be fun.

i have to agree with inMySock.

as for the pic that is priceless. i wouldnt have sat close to those other kids either. that kid has the inner glow that he could care less. i can only image the song that is going through his head... >>

And apparently, he can fight. Half the other boys are missing a tooth.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Bears

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Good article in the Chicago Tribune today about the history between both teams.

link
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Another walk in the park for the Pack...

They are scary good now-a-days...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    What a classic matchup. It's remarkable that the teams haven't met in the Playoffs since the early '40s. This matchup conjures up visions of leather helmets and maybe even a "sweater jersey", and names like Clarke Hinkle, Red Grange, and Don Hutson. I'll pull for the Packers in this one.

This will be a terrific game to watch. I hope that it snows!
  • Options

<< <i>Good article in the Chicago Tribune today about the history between both teams.

link >>

Great stuff! I thought this was a good comment.

"I think most historians agree that the legendary Bears-Packers rivalry was largely an invention of Halas and Lambeau. Back in the early days, they had each others backs and schemed to make their teams proitable, first and foremost. The ginned up animosity between the teams was more a natural outgrowth of the need for drama and showmanship that they used to seduce a following. Easily accomplished given the players competitive nature and hard nosed approach to the sport.

But regardless, this rivalry has evolved into one of the most devisive in all of sports (at ANY level), and the showdown this weekend represents the pinnacle, the ultimate culmination of that rivalry (which occurs only once every 70 years or so). Most of us will not see it again in our lifetimes, which makes it all the more epic.

I take comfort in the fact that if I'm secretly biting my fingernails over how the Bears will perform, so are the Packers fans (whether they're willing to admit it or not). So as they say: "Bring it, it's GO TIME!"

• Options
    Go pack.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I highly doubt this will live up to the billing of a "Game of the ages" I think the Pack win very easily.

But ofcourse its the NFL and more often than not it makes zero sense so I guess I will watch the game and see what type of nonsense may or may not happen...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, Great Photo! image

No harm done but ofcourse a bunch of idiots will make a big deal out of it Im sure!
  • Options
    Can one believe how easy the Bears' playoff road has been to this point? It's not their fault, but all Chicago had to do to reach the NFL's Final Four is stay home to host a road team with a losing record (the 8-10 Seahawks). That's all it took for them to be one game from the Super Bowl.

Something that I learned recently is interesting to me. The officiating crew for Sunday's Packers at Bears playoff game will be the same crew that flagged the Packers for no less than 18 penalties in an earlier Packers/Bears game this season.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can one believe how easy the Bears' playoff road has been to this point? It's not their fault, but all Chicago had to do to reach the NFL's Final Four is stay home to host a road team with a losing record (the 8-10 Seahawks). That's all it took for them to be one game from the Super Bowl.

Something that I learned recently is interesting to me. The officiating crew for Sunday's Packers at Bears playoff game will be the same crew that flagged the Packers for no less than 18 penalties in an earlier Packers/Bears game this season. >>

not the same crew. same ref but the rest of the crew are all star officials.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the last playoff meeting between the Bears and the Packers took place in the early 1940's [almost 70 years ago] then I suggest that this weekend's playoff game be dubbed......................... "The Haley's Comet Game", since the playoff game is truly a once in a lifetime occurence.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the last playoff meeting between the Bears and the Packers took place in the early 1940's [almost 70 years ago] then I suggest that this weekend's playoff game be dubbed......................... "The Haley's Comet Game", since the playoff game is truly a once in a lifetime occurence.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>If the last playoff meeting between the Bears and the Packers took place in the early 1940's [almost 70 years ago] then I suggest that this weekend's playoff game be dubbed......................... "The Haley's Comet Game", since the playoff game is truly a once in a lifetime occurence. >>

meanwhile we have a double rainbow post. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    This was brought up today in Bill Simmons' chat....for 2 teams that have been around forever, and play in the same division, I can't think of a single memorable game that these two have played. Of all the "rivalries" in the NFL, this is probably middle of the pack for me (no pun intended).

I think the Packers win 20-10.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>......I can't think of a single memorable game that these two have played. >>

apparently you were busy that Monday night in October of 1985 when The Fridge became an indelible part of football culture while leading Sweetness to the house and then scoring himself.