Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old coin with an old hit...

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for a little feedback on a purchase (bust half) I'm considering.
Here's the dilema, I found a date I need with the look I want. The strike is bold, the wear/luster appear AUish, the surfaces look original.
The issue; it looks like it may be a nice AU55 net graded XF45 for a hit on the chin area. Not an outrageous gash or anything, but it is there.
Just curious what other collectors here would consider more important, mark free surfaces or nice strike ?

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a strong strike, but the mark placement and immediate visibility cannot be completely discounted. One coin I have is an 1893-S Barber half in EF40 with an old, but not insignicicant, mark through the shield on the reverse. Given that the mark is on the reverse, is within the very busy shield and that the coin is nearly non-existant in original condition with any meat on it meant I had no problem with the eye appeal. However, an easy to find CBH with a prominent obverse mark might be a different story.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that you thought enough about the mark to start a thread tells me that you will not be happy with the coin.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking for a little feedback on a purchase (bust half) I'm considering.
    Here's the dilema, I found a date I need with the look I want. The strike is bold, the wear/luster appear AUish, the surfaces look original.
    The issue; it looks like it may be a nice AU55 net graded XF45 for a hit on the chin area. Not an outrageous gash or anything, but it is there.
    Just curious what other collectors here would consider more important, mark free surfaces or nice strike ? >>

A hit well concealed in the design is a lot easier to take than one in the prime focal area on the obverse.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay away... the irritation will only grow with time. Cheers, RickO
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait for the perfect example that meets ALL criteria for your collection. You will be happiest if you do this. After all, you will have to sell it one day...or your family/heirs will. Unless it is ultra rare, why have a coin that can be viewed as having a problem? If you are hesitating then that means others will do the same.

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stay away... the irritation will only grow with time. Cheers, RickO >>

Never try to talk yourself into buying a coin that you recognize has an objectionable feature (weak strike, poor luster, too many marks or marks in prime grading areas, unappealing toning, etc).
    Buying a coin in such an instance usually leads to buyer's remorse.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Stay away... the irritation will only grow with time. Cheers, RickO >>

image >>

This
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focal point hits just suck.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies all.
    I think I tend to be slightly less of a perfectionist than some when it comes to a coins condition, but as many of you have pointed out, if it's bothersome now, it will be even more so as time goes by.
    I was actually curious to see how much value collectors would put on an unusually hammered strike in a series where they are not so commonly seen. And since we are talking about a circulated grade and not a rare and expensive Gem, would you over look other short comings to aquire such a piece at a reasonable price ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file