Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade opinion on half-dime please....

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
New purchase......

This one's going in for grading.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a similar looking 1841, and it only made MS62, to my disappointment. Maybe MS63? It's tough to tell from images, as usual.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62... The lighting in the pic seems a bit off balanced.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obv looks nice. Reverse (maybe just the pic) looks whizzed.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me Tony, but i'm not 100% positive how the grading will go by your images............
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    The images are blurry on my monitor, but based on the little bit I can see, I'd guess MS63 or even 64.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The images aren't good enough to make a call. Surfaces don't look original.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... imges look blurry on my monitor as well. The "LIBERTY" looks mushy and not sharp. That said, it still looks MS6x something...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's tough to grade because I can't see exactly what is in the fields. Is it toning or a light rub?

If it's a rub, I'll go with AU-58. If it's toning, then MS-63.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing we know for sure, my camera stinks!!

Time for a new one.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The images aren't good enough to make a call. Surfaces don't look original. >>

I agree. I don't think anything better than AU58 is attainable.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I should have added is that it almost certainly has been dipped. I don't hold that against it, but that does limit the number grade in the MS scale I would give it. To me it's hard for a dipped coin to make MS-65, and I don't think that a dipped coin can qualify for anything beyond that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file