Home Metal Detecting
Options

counterfeit 1898 barber quarter

dug these today. the quarter is slightly thinner and looks like silver. will have my coin dealer look at it next week.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeiting has been done since money was invented.... but really surprising to dig one. Is that a pocket watch or a compact?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id like to get a better look at that ( i think ) medal image
  • Options
    notice the thin lettering and smaller stars. just about everything is a little off.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure it's a counterfeit and not just a weirdly warped out Barber? I found a Merc dime once that was almost the diameter of a nickel. It had been in a fire, and got melted/stretched somehow. Really I only found half of it. That half has since crumbled into many little fragments inside the flip I put it in, over the last few years, since it was really brittle. I have no doubt it was a real coin, once, though, and from the 'teens. Found a lovely AU 1916 Barber dime on the same site.

I guess if you say the lettering is off, though, it's a contemporary fake (I can't really tell from the pix... no... I do sorta see what you are sayin' about the thin letters- interesting!)

Cool! I'd just as happily dig a contemporary counterfeit as a genuine coin of the same type. My 1782 Irish "Hibernia" halfpenny is one such contemporary counterfeit I've found.

What is that interesting foblike thing? I can't quite make out the lettering.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Had my coin dealer check it out. It weighs less and is not brittle. He agrees that it is a counterfeit, but a poorly made one. This came from a dump that dates no later than 1907. The other thing with melted writing looks like an old carriage.

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    that barber looks acid dipped, i would consider taking i to a jeweler for a composition test. could also have been a "shipwreck find"
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    How likely is it to dig out a counterfeit?