Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a great picture of a famous numismatist...

Comments

• Isn't it funny....there's probably a whole slew of numis out there thinking "why would I want to go to a thread of pictures of a bunch of old coin guys????.....doesn't sound like any fun to me...."

Little do they know how much fun we're havin'!
  • Jay Cline (Standing Liberty Quarters author and expert)

• Rick Snow: (Rick Snow Named 2010 ANA Numismatist of the Year)

• Bob Campbell:

• Andy Lustig:

• Here's a closer look at the goodies in Andy's table:

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Good one. Collected my favorite kind of coinage.
  • 1794 Whist match in Cocoa Beach, Florida in 1979. Participants are, left to right: Tom Morley (red jacket)-Myles Gerson (cigarette)-Del Bland (center)-Denis Loring (examining coin) with George Ewing hidden behind him.

• Some "Boyz of 1794" at the Manassas [VA] battlefield-April 2010. l. to r. Chuck Heck, Nathan Markowitz, Mark Borckardt, Tory Denman (red) Jim Neiswinter, Bim Gander (tan jacket), Scott Barrett (yellow shirt), Dan Trollan (blackcap), Steve Ellsworth (center beige jacket), Al Boka, Terry Denman, Sam Foose, Walt Husak

• Dave Perkins and Alan Weinberg at the Boston Public Library viewing the gold Washington Before Boston medal

• U.S. Mint Director Jay Johnson and professional numismatist Q. David Bowers pictured at an A.N.A. function in 2001

• Jeff Garrett:

• Chet Krause:

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Steve Deeds:

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did I miss it or is there no pic of Q. David Bowers??
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Anyone have a pic of Izzy Swit (perhaps not a numismatist, but when all 1933 Saints go back to you, you should be on this post).
  • NapNap Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    William Woodin

• TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a fun thread!

I don't have a copy of it, but maybe 20-ish years ago there was a series of auctions named 'Breen'. This was before TSHTF regarding him. I don't remember why he had his name associated with these auctions, but the picture they had of him was impressive. A head shot, just about profile, wild beard and long grey hair in a ponytail. He reaqlly looked like a genius wild man, and I guess he was. >>

The one where he is backlit so that it looks like his hair is like a halo, and his eyes look out past the horizon to maintain his contact with an ineffable wisdom, deeper than eternity, that most of us can only dream exists?

Used in perhaps more than one First Coinvestors auction catalogue or fixed price list circa 1971-73. >>

Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres a pretty lousy photo of a famous Numismatist.... (I guess we all know who it is. Very few people wear mustard colored checkered sport coats these days)

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dunno about famous, but I think this one is a coin doctor.
    image >>

Not true. He does no actual "work" himself (though some definition I read recently said to "enable" doctoring was to be a doctor.

But he has a lot of respect within the "club" for the job he's been doing as quality control compliance officer for the CCC (Coin Cosmetologists Collective)
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Harry Bass wearing his famous magnifying glasses that extend off his face exactly like the fore elevators on the Wright Flyer:

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    CCU: I think that's one of their gliders, not a "Wright Flyer."
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For collectors of Canadian Coins:

Jim Charlton, 99 years old now.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭
    Former President and long-time Governor of the ANA, Grover Criswell ...

<< <i>image >>

A fine looking numismatist indeed!! :-)
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Former President and long-time Governor of the ANA, Grover Criswell ...

image >>

At one time he was the richest man in the world..................in Confederate money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This elusive character can often be found in the company of some of the hobby elite.
    I'll award a prize to the first to correctly ID (in this thread) this person. Good Luck.
    ______________________image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This elusive character can often be found in the company of some of the hobby elite. I'll award a prize to the first to correctly ID (in this thread) this person. Good Luck.

No fair. You won your own prize!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

<< <i>This elusive character can often be found in the company of some of the hobby elite. I'll award a prize to the first to correctly ID (in this thread) this person. Good Luck.

No fair. You won your own prize! >>

Absolutely wrong MrEureka. Now go back and read my post for the obvious clue. But alas, since you are the OP of this thread you are DQ! image My my my...

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely wrong MrEureka.

Unless, of course, I'm right! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    O.K. You win. Your prize is a free picture of Michael.image

• someone find a pic of Mike DeFalco
  • Mike DeFalco:

• rare1rare1 Posts: 47 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone recognize this well known coin maven? Thats my uncle Guido!

image >>

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry Shepherd

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    John Feigenbaum
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. CaC and Ms. Legend

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    B. Max Mehl

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • William Shamhart Jr.

• MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    This thread is not completed by this one, but it would not be complete without this one.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file