Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a great picture of a famous numismatist...

Comments

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a fun thread!

I don't have a copy of it, but maybe 20-ish years ago there was a series of auctions named 'Breen'. This was before TSHTF regarding him. I don't remember why he had his name associated with these auctions, but the picture they had of him was impressive. A head shot, just about profile, wild beard and long grey hair in a ponytail. He reaqlly looked like a genius wild man, and I guess he was. >>

The one where he is backlit so that it looks like his hair is like a halo, and his eyes look out past the horizon to maintain his contact with an ineffable wisdom, deeper than eternity, that most of us can only dream exists?

Used in perhaps more than one First Coinvestors auction catalogue or fixed price list circa 1971-73.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Staircoins, that looks like David Sear.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

<< <i>Mister Wilson (and Dennis)

image >>

Where are Brian, Carl, Mike Love, and Bruce Johnston?image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Staircoins, that looks like David Sear. >>

You can't handle the truth! image
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Staircoins, that looks like David Sear. >>

You can't handle the truth! image >>

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno about famous, but I think this one is a coin doctor.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Very cute.....had me chuckling out loud. "Happy boy!"
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

• << <i>

<< <i>This is a fun thread!

I don't have a copy of it, but maybe 20-ish years ago there was a series of auctions named 'Breen'. This was before TSHTF regarding him. I don't remember why he had his name associated with these auctions, but the picture they had of him was impressive. A head shot, just about profile, wild beard and long grey hair in a ponytail. He reaqlly looked like a genius wild man, and I guess he was. >>

The one where he is backlit so that it looks like his hair is like a halo, and his eyes look out past the horizon to maintain his contact with an ineffable wisdom, deeper than eternity, that most of us can only dream exists?

Used in perhaps more than one First Coinvestors auction catalogue or fixed price list circa 1971-73. >>

That's the one! Was it really 40 years ago?
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    hey ambro, what is your cat writing?

www.brunkauctions.com

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a photo of two famous numismatists. It's Laura Sperber choking Longacre.

• Wayne Miller

• David Hall:

From davidhall.com:

David Hall arguably understands collectibles markets and how they work better than anyone in the world. He became a full-time rare coin dealer in 1972 and was quickly one of the major players. In the 1980's he was the man behind the major market innovations of the decade; guaranteed buy/sell markets, electronic trading, and his coup de grace, the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS).

In 1990 David Hall was named Orange County "Entrepreneur Of The Year" by Inc. Magazine. The February 20, 1996 issue of Numismatic News called him "the man who changed the rare coin market forever." The July, 1999 issue of Coinage Magazine named David Hall one of the top "Numismatists of the Century."

In the 1990's David turned his attention to the sports collectibles market. He founded Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA), which by 1998 had duplicated the PCGS model of market dominance. In August 1996, the Internet called and David Hall purchased the already thriving Coin Universe, the first commercial collectibles site on the Internet. In December, 1998, he consolidated his companies and formed Collectors Universe and took the company public in November, 1999. At Collectors Universe, David Hall is part of the corporate management team and oversees the three grading services, PCGS, PSA and PSE.

Today David is also the President of David Hall Rare coins.
    That might be Jeff Bridges, but it sure ain't Homer UnHall!!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

Breen Auctions? So long ago that you could still occasionally find a New Jersey copper in pocket-change.imageimage
  • That's not David Hall?
  • Sorry, here you go:

• << <i>Here is a photo of two famous numismatists. It's Laura Sperber choking Longacre.

image >>

Nice hat!
  • John Kraljevich:

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen a photo of Bill Fivaz or JT Stanton yet.....I did meet Bill Favaz at F.U.N. and he was a really nice guy and willing to talk to everyone it seems.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Here are two numismatutes that are the epitomy of class:
    Leroy Van Allen__________________________________John Roberts

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    John Roberts!

He's a local guy - one helluva nice guy and he knows his stuff!!!!

The other guy is Van Allen, right?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Don Willis:

• Larry Shapiro:

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Great thread image

• Excellent.
  • Ira and Larry Goldberg:

• Greg Rohan (on the right):

• Stuart Blay:

• Maurice Rosen:

• R.W. Julian:

• John Albanese:

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Me:

image >>

I think the photo of Anaconda with her grandfather is the best picture in this thread!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Doug Winter:

• Jim Halperin:

"Jim Halperin, author of a hot new science fiction novel, The First Immortal, contributed to the discussion of futures reshaped by emerging technologies. His novel, reviewed in Update 33, explores the effects on society and individual lives from the ability to achieve cryonic suspension and revivification. "It will be uncomfortable with these machines. To live with them, we have to hold people accountable for their actions and their intentions; the latter is necessary to prevent malicious actions," he said. (Halperin's novel hypothesizes a "Truth Machine" that allows anyone to determine whether another party is lying, thus revealing intentions separately from actions.

(From Foresight Institute's website: http://www.foresight.org/Updates/Update34/Update34.1.html)

(Most people don't know that the famous futurist, Jim Halperin also is fairly well known in numismatic circles.)

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Funny man you are image
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Hey Larry.....I was wondering when you were gonna show up!

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    A pinched nerve in my neck is keeping me away image
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Anthony Swiatek (guess...):

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John J. Ford

John Jay Pittman

Lorin Parmelee

Richard Yeoman

RYK and Longacre image

• << <i>A pinched nerve in my neck is keeping me away image >>

I'm sorry to hear that, but it reminds me of one of my secretaries that used to give me neck massages (and only that). She used to also model with some of my coins. Her name was Stephanie. She was somewhat famous on this board a long time ago and she did in fact study numismatics, so I guess I should post some pictures of her. Her favorite Commem was the Oregon Trail. Do you think I would get in trouble if I posted some tasteful photos of her?
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A pinched nerve in my neck is keeping me away image >>

I'm sorry to hear that, but it reminds me of one of my secretaries that used to give me neck massages (and only that). She used to also model with some of my coins. Her name was Stephanie. She was somewhat famous on this board a long time ago and she did in fact study numismatics, so I guess I should post some pictures of her. Her favorite Commem was the Oregon Trail. Do you think I would get in trouble if I posted some tasteful photos of her? >>

No copyright... no protective order... you should be fine. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file