Home U.S. Coin Forum

1878 Morgan reverse question

derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm new with Morgans. Can anyone explain/show me the difference between a 7TF and a 7/8 TF. I'm also confused on telling the difference between the 7TF rev. of 78 and the 7TF rev. of 79. I scouted vamworld but can't find specific pics I'm looking for. If anyone versed in vamworld.com could provide links to pics i'm looking for, or an easy description of how to tell the difference, it would greatly appreciated. I will be making an offer on an uncirc. roll of 78 TTFs and want to be sure I know what I'm looking at and and that I make an offer that is fair to both parties.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7/8 tf is a re-engraved 8 tf die with the bottoms of the old tf showing.

rev 78 has flat chest and parallel feathers in arrows.

rev 79 has rounded chest and top feather in arrows slanted.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to spend some time at vamworld.com in order to familiarize yourself with some of the major varieties.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    This will help.

Morgan Reverses
    Becky
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7/8 TF isn't really 7/8 TF, but it's just called that out of tradition. The "underdesign" is most likely a different 7TF design for which no patterns are known to exist. The extra tailfeathers and olive branch parts don't line up with an 8TF reverse and don't match known patterns.

The easiest way to distinguish an 1878 reverse lf '78 from reverse of '79 in any grade is the fletching. On the reverse of '78, all feathers on the arrows are parallel to each other. On the reverse of '79, the top one is noticeably slanted.

If you don't have a VAM book handy, take a look at the Attribution 101 page on VAMWorld and scroll down to "Understanding Major Hub Types." If you do have a VAM book, go to chapter 6.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a close-up of one of the 7 over 8 tailfeather varieties. Off the top of my head I know there are more than 30 varieites of this. Some show more doubling than others.

Here an 8 tailfeather reverse

And a 7 tailfeather reverse

And an 1878 reverse of '79 reverse

And for it's worth here is a set in Capital Plastic, ninus the reverse of '79 veriety, which Capital chose not to include.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all. I am now confident that I can tell the differences on everything I asked. And it only took five teachers.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that there is a long nock and short nock parallel arrow feather as well. image
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file