Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your area of expertise, or what area in numismatics do you know the most about. Do not be h

2»

Comments

• American numismatic literature and American numismatic history.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Proof artwork on circulation strikes and National Bank Notes of the local area. Also modern commercial banknotes of the world.
  • I tend to like the Classic Commems with my focus on the Booker T. Washingtons and the Carver/ Washinton series.
    By no means an expert nor do I claim any such distinction. I basically collect what I like. I have done most of the required reading on the coins I purchase but not sure if that is still enough.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Numismatic publishing

• SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

I tend to specialize in buying high and selling low....

imageimage

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is your area of expertise, or if you are too humble to imply that you are an expert in that area, then

what area in numismatics do you know the most about?

Please do not be humble. This thread will be absolutely worthless if we all just "Aw shucks" and "gee willicker" around.

And if we all honestly post our areas of expertise, this could be a valuable thread for all of us and for future generations (Please begin the Star Wars background music.) >>

My area of Expertise: Microbiology/Molecular Genetics with an interest in Molecular Epidemiology

As far as Numismatics is concerned: I'm a dilitante in Indian Head Cents, some early copper and US type...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty good with toned coins.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

• << <i>American numismatic literature and American numismatic history. >>

Very cool.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to know a little about Mercury Dimes...and as each day passes I find out how little I know. image

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • "All experts operate largely on bluff."
    ~ Clifford Irving
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo Nickels is what I collect and know more about than any other coins...And I love the look of the mighty Buffs....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been told that I know a little bit about 1827 half dollars. What I really seem to specialize in is overpaying for 1827 bust halves, though.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I know some things about some US coins.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    No one knows more about buying high and selling low, then I do.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade dollars are what I am most interested in and trying to learn the most about right now.
    Trade $'s
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm competent in many areas, but only consider myself expert in US patterns.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • I find myself learning about many different coins everyday that I come into these forums. what I love to look for most are the Presidential dollars and the cent from wheat to shield. I am getting a littler interested in the new quarters that are coming out since the statehood quarters. I love sorting for copper cents and finding varieties such as the WAM's and other errors like the 83 DDR and 72 DDO's
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Classic silver commems....without a doubt. They are my numismatic passion.
  • Making change. A quarter gets you 2 dimes and a nickle. etc..
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to call myself an expert in incomplete planchets. I know a thing or two about other Mint errors, die varieties, cherrypicking, and grading Lincoln Cents and Jefferson Nickels... but I also know guys who run circles around me in all of those areas, so I would never call myself an expert in any of them.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I am a jack of all trades master of none! image My passion is Lincoln cent die varieties and Doubled Dies! But I love to try to find anything in Cherrypickers guide. The people I would like to meet the most to try and suck some knowledge from them is Bill Fivaz and JT Stanton! I also would like to meet ole Eagle Eye just because I love Flying Eagles and Indians!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Don't know jack about jack.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can hold my own re particular coins of which I have seen many in specific grades over the years. Several examples are:
    1) Liberty Nickels in MS 66
    2) SLQs in FH MS 66
    3) Braided Hair Copper in MS 65 RB
    4) Heraldic Eagle Bust $s in AU
    5) Seated $s in MS 63 and MS64

I don't call myself an 'expert' in anything related to numismatics, though.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
    I am an XSPURT

X is an unknown quality

SPURT is a small drip under pressure.
    Camelotimage
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have studied Early Copper fairly extensively, in particular, the US Large Cent series from 1793 to 1857. I have also been told I have a decent eye for original colorful Proof Indian Cents and silver type. >>

Anytime I have a coin I want a second opinion on I go to Bigmoose. Especially Proof IHCs.

My expertise is knowing who are the experts.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've forgotten more than I know. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • U.S. error coins are my area of expertise, but I'm generally knowledgeable about U.S. coins and I used to be very active in [primarily modern] U.S. varieties.

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • I should add Washington quarters and Eisenhower dollars.

A variation on Bear's definition:
    ex-spurt = "has been" + "big drip".
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a bit about Morgan dollar VAMs.
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    I'm just now starting to know enough about the capped bust half dollars to know that I probably shouldn't have started into the series. I'm thoroughly engaged by it and enjoy it immensely, but as I dig deeper I'm continually finding out how little I know about them. I've been at it ten years now and am just a few varieties shy of the 100 mark.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Bust quarters
    Seated quarters
    Early copper
    Counterstamped coins
    Bust halves
    (in that order)

....And Doily holdered coins (I'm not sure that counts.)
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert on any series by any means. My specialty, if any, is CC Morgans.
    Small run so pretty easy to get to know the series. Over 50 years of collecting and
    I'm still no expert on anything. If I was to start over, I would concentrate on Walkers
    and stick with them. But, that won't happen, now will it?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I am an expert at wanting more coins. Seriously though, I dont' think I have a an area of expertise. I am still in the absorbing every bit of information I can find phase. I do enjoy half eagles and am getting more interested in Barbers.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Im no expert but the areas I feel most confident in are Lincoln Cents 1909-2010. and $2.50 gold pieces . Ive done well with both for my personal collection
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
    When I first joined the Forum, I knew a little bit about everything. or so I thought.

Now, after many years, I am sure that I know all there is to know about absolutely

nothing.imageimage
    Camelotimage
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo nickels and lincoln cents.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die varieties- 1859 - present, primarily minor coinage and Morgan dollars. I have discovered 5 new VAMs.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the early 70's I was an up-and-coming young error collector, spending many a bus ride going to Newbury Park to hang with Lonesome John Devine. His family even put me up for a few weekends. The knowledgable posts here in the forum rivals what used to be hands-on.
  • State Quarters!! image
  • After 15 years of studying the Reeded Edge Halves, I know lots about them but only about half of what I want to know. Very few folks are interested in the series so the going is slow. If anyone is seriously collecting the series, please send a PM as I would love to hear from you.
    Looked at a coin at the FUN show, an 1839-O that turned out to be a variety that I had never seen which makes it JR-5. So there is still lots of fun out there to be discovered.
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Coins are my passion, and after a fashion,
    I like to think I know my faults,
    But truth as it's known, means I've only blown
    through my wallet, my pockets, and vaults.

I've read and I've posted, bought coins that were toasted,
    then shiny ones sure caught my eye,
    When I got it in hand, I was sure it was grand
    Cause the seller said his was no lie!

Then I came to this forum, where there's often a quorem,
    a plethora of experts, in fact,
    So I signed on, and then, with Lord Marcovan's Pen,
    I hoped to develop the knack.

Now, three years it's been, and I come back again,
    to see who wrote what where, when, and why,
    I scroll down the page, and I look for the sage,
    the expert who see's me, and sighs...

I bought this, you see, it's the bidder in me,
    It's that rare coin on Ebay I'm stalking,
    You warned me, I know, but with coins, I'm so slow,
    You don't learn a thing when you're talking!

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I know what I like...and I like image
    and it took me almost
    40 years to find that out !!

Who can resist Seated Coins ? My favorite: image

Having assembled a nice circulated IHC collection... my latest interest is a date set of errors
    ...image

Also have assembled five nice sets of SLQ's - and I recently started my sixth set
    ...image

I'm not an "expert" in any of these series - not that I can't
    hold my own in a discussion of any series that I collect.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been told I know a little bit about Charlotte gold.

c'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln Cent amateur.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    my expertise is running a pharmacy - collecting half cents by die marriage and die state has become my "drug of choice" to which I'm addicted- not an expert but consider myself quite knowledgable
    palmer
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good stuff obiwancanoli! image

<< <i>You don't learn a thing when you're talking! >>

Might have to make this my new sig line - on here and on work emails too! image

• << <i> I have discovered 5 new VAMs. >>

This is admirable...
  • I am by no means an expert, but after more than 30 years of collecting I look at my reference library of coin related books (that may or may not have been written by experts) and find that I am keenly interested in:
    Buffalo nickels – working on third full horn set
    Morgan dollars – VAMS
    Moderns (Jeffersons and early Kennedys)
    Colorfully toned anything
    Mint errors/die varieties

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file