Home U.S. Coin Forum

CW: USM to Melt 85,000 2009 UHR Gold Coins

2»

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could they not just run them though again with the new dies and end up
    with 2011 coins (and maybe a few errors?)?

bob >>

The mint couldn't do this without a new law authorizing them to do this.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

<< <i>Sooooo.... Does this mean there are going to be only 30,000 or so 2009 UHR? Instead of the 115,175? >>

Was this the actual mintage, glad I bought a few. >>

The Coin World article reports that "A total of 115,178 2009 Saint-Gaudens Ultra High Relief coins were sold before sales ended on Dec. 31, 2009." It says "were sold" not "minted", "made", or "produced" so unless we get updated sales figures (and that # has been reported since January 2010) the mintage stands at 115,178.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    according to USMintSales : The Ultra High Relief Gold Coin added 1,384 to bring the total sales level to 112,065. These coins will only remain available for sale until December 31, 2009. The 2009 Proof Gold Buffalo coin added 522 to bring the total to 42,075.

so the previous number mentioned was likely units sold, not units minted, no 30,000 surviving mintage.

25 Oct 2009: 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN 101,266

03 Nov 2009: 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN 102,311

24 Nov 2009: 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN 105,953

15 Dec 2009: 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN 108,794

30 Dec 2009: 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN 112,065

05 Jan 2010: 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN NLA

Sales ended for the 2009 Ultra High Relief Gold Coin during the weekly sales period, however updated sales figures were not provided by the US Mint. In last week’s report covering sales through December 27, 2009, the UHR Double Eagle had sold 112,065 coins. Sales officially ended on December 31, 2009 at 3:00 PM ET. For lines indicated “NLA”, new sales figures were not provided.

The final sales figure of 115,178 represents unaudited sales data and remains subject to final adjustments.

sorry for dupe, i am slow to post.

(l8-)>>

• You're looking at an old article. Try 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Final Sales 115,178 which shows the final reported mintage as 115,178, the same as Coin World reports.

• << <i>

bob >>

The mint couldn't do this without a new law authorizing them to do this. >>

Or the Treasury Secretary. Point is, yes they could but not on their own; someone would have to authorize it first.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

bob >>

The mint couldn't do this without a new law authorizing them to do this. >>

Or the Treasury Secretary. Point is, yes they could but not on their own; someone would have to authorize it first. >>

Are you sure the Treasury Secretary has this authority to strike a new coin design for 2011?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    These are doing surprising well for raw-$2100-$2500 lately.

• << <i>These are doing surprising well for raw-$2100-$2500 lately. >>

yeah the MS69s aren't doing so bad either.. The price guid just jumped from 2,250 to 3,200!!! Is this an error?

• << <i>Are you sure the Treasury Secretary has this authority to strike a new coin design for 2011? >>

Not generally, but the 2009 UHR was authorized under the Secretary's existing authority in Title 31 Section 5112 of the US Code, one part of which gives the Secretary discretion on the "specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions" for bullion and proof gold coins.

• Now how to get rid of those 85000 wooden boxes? Best reason ever to minimize the packaging, but do you think the Mint learned from this? I like the box, but would have preferred twenty bucks off the original sale price.
  • I didn`t think 30,000 in sales sounded right but one per h/h does very strange things still wish I had gotten as many UHR`s as I did ATB`s. If there had only been 30,000 UHR`S what would they be selling for now???
    if not an error than upside down....

407405 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - First Strike $20 MS69 785 1690 3200 Price Increase

407405 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - First Strike $20 MS70 1690 0 3000 Price Decrease

I LIKE THIS CORRECTION, very nice price appreciation to date, especially the 69s image

407405 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - First Strike $20 MS69 785 1690 3000 Price Increase

407405 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - First Strike $20 MS70 1690 0 3250 Price Increase

(l8-)>>

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based upon a recent conversation I had with the Price Guide editor ... yes, I believe there are now some typos in the Price Guide. I'll alert him to it tomorrow and I suspect they will be fixed by the weekend.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In CW this week:

USM to melt 85,000 2009 UHR gold coins....

????

Why not offer last chance offering???? I dont get it. So many offering sit on the site for a year or two.

Why not reduce the premium and sell. You still would generate profits over melting.....

Doesn't make sense. >>

I am no fan of the mint continuing to sell coins after the marketing period for them has passed. I don't think that is fair to those who bought the coins when they were offered. If you want another 2009 UHR, why not buy one from a dealer? Let the mint melt the pieces that did not sell. >>

image but what a shame, it was such a beautiful coin and one of my all time favorites!
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sales ended for the 2009 Ultra High Relief Gold Coin during the weekly sales period, however updated sales figures were not provided by the US Mint. In last week’s report covering sales through December 27, 2009, the UHR Double Eagle had sold 112,065 coins. Sales officially ended on December 31, 2009 at 3:00 PM ET. For lines indicated “NLA”, new sales figures were not provided. >>

Since the USM ended sales EARLY (3pm) instead of the traditional MIDNIGHT, I think there should be a 9 hour special sale of remaining coins!!!!!!!!

i.e. for all of you newbies, the 1995-W 5 coin Gold/Silver 10th anniversary set was on sale until MIDNIGHT Dec 31,1995..........
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Just so everyone knows, there are 300,000, not 85,000 boxes sitting in a warehouse. The idiot Deputy Director, no longer with the Mint and now at BEP, ordered Sales and Marketing to buy 400,000 boxes at $40 each for the UHR. They flushed about $10 million dollars down the drain and wasted any profit from the UHR program.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

• << <i>Just so everyone knows, there are 300,000, not 85,000 boxes sitting in a warehouse. The idiot Deputy Director, no longer with the Mint and now at BEP, ordered Sales and Marketing to buy 400,000 boxes at $40 each for the UHR. They flushed about $10 million dollars down the drain and wasted any profit from the UHR program. >>

Holly Shizzle!! true story? OMG!!

As much as Mr. Moy fudged this up he still took one for the team and this coin will be remembered forever as one of the best and most beautiful coins ever created in human history ( and in America baby!!! ) Just IMO of course hehe.. Speaking of which I have my three being resubmitted for grading right now because I'm pretty sure that my MS69s are PL but not the 70..
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idiot Deputy Director, no longer with the Mint and now at BEP, ordered Sales and Marketing to buy 400,000 boxes at $40 each for the UHR. They flushed about $10 million dollars down the drain and wasted any profit from the UHR program.

It was Moy's brainchild to promote fancy and expensive packaging. Forty dollars for fluff? No wonder we're in trouble. Other people's money! What's the former Deputy Director's name? These guys would never survive if they had to work.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    even after the correction, your still right the ms69s do shine!

407405 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - First Strike $20 MS69 785 1690 3000 Price Increase

407405 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - First Strike $20 MS70 1690 0 3250 Price Increase

(l8-)>>

• << <i>Just so everyone knows, there are 300,000, not 85,000 boxes sitting in a warehouse. The idiot Deputy Director, no longer with the Mint and now at BEP, ordered Sales and Marketing to buy 400,000 boxes at $40 each for the UHR. They flushed about $10 million dollars down the drain and wasted any profit from the UHR program. >>

I hope they sand them down, refinish them and use them for something else. 25th year ASE - AGE Anniversary perhaps? I don't particularly want another one of these treasure chests, but I'd hate to see the waste.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's put it this way: If the Mint releases these, I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER MINT PRODUCT AGAIN.

You have an obligation to protect your customers. It would be catastrophic for an organization that lives on collector sentiment to undermine its business model, its customers, its products.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file