Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first coin for my half dollar type set!

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
I finally purchased the first coin for my new half dollar type set. I got this from our own Ankurj (the photo is his also.)

Whatcha think?

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If you can match the remaining half dollars to this coin, your set will look fabulous!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty image

The first (and at this point only) bust half I own is also an 1823.
  • Congrats on the Beautiful coin! EF or AU? I bet that cost you a nice penny image I am still debating which Half type I want to do next... I guess whichever one I get a good deal on image

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on the Beautiful coin! EF or AU? I bet that cost you a nice penny image I am still debating which Half type I want to do next... I guess whichever one I get a good deal on image >>

It's DEFINITLEY not EF. My guess is AU58. Either way, it's PRETTY!

-Paul
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm..

Way to set the bar high!

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful looking CBH! What a great start to your set!
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are starting very strong! image Nice coin.
  • That CBH is Sweet! Nice choice to launch your type set. Good luck on the hunt for the others.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on the Beautiful coin! EF or AU? >>

I think that you might devote a bit more study to the art of coin grading. By the photo, I think the debate would whether or not it's an AU-58 or a Mint State piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    super coin!!

AU58 is my guess.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Very NICE!!! good job
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you like it! It was a tough one to sell!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Cant go wrong with that coin and with buying from AnkurJ image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • That wasn't one of the coins that DNC is it?
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
    It's in an NGC AU58 holder.

Yes, I just found out about the history of this coin, and apparently PCGS wouldn't cross it because they thought it was AT. In hand, this coin looks as original as anything I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the whole AT vs. NT argument is ridiculous to me anyway.

Also, I found out that the coin was submitted to CAC and did not receive the sticker. I'm not sure why they didn't, but maybe they thought it was a very low-end 58 or a 55 or something.

It's a beautiful coin, and I like it a lot. I'm not sure if having the knowledge of the coin's history would have changed my purchase decision or not image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg, thats wayyyyyy cool. i love the color to
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's in an NGC AU58 holder.

Yes, I just found out about the history of this coin, and apparently PCGS wouldn't cross it because they thought it was AT. In hand, this coin looks as original as anything I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the whole AT vs. NT argument is ridiculous to me anyway.

Also, I found out that the coin was submitted to CAC and did not receive the sticker. I'm not sure why they didn't, but maybe they thought it was a very low-end 58 or a 55 or something.

It's a beautiful coin, and I like it a lot. I'm not sure if having the knowledge of the coin's history would have changed my purchase decision or not image >>

Based solely on the Picture, I'd give it a sticker and say it was NT.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the coin is totally NT. My only reason for selling it is because I needed one in a PCGS holder for my registry, and I picked one up. That and I needed to get some funds together to pay Heritage for my recent newps.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • B-e-u-tiful!! Very nice.

imageimage
  • LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    That's a great looking coin. I'm glad you can look past the holder and sticker. Congrats and be warned finishing the type set will take longer since you purchased the Cbh first. They are addicting.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a hard time not bidding on that myself ( AU 58...), watched it end and did not fire away. It's a beauty ! And I'm still looking for a nice 1823....
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Excellent start! image
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a hard time not bidding on that myself ( AU 58...), watched it end and did not fire away. It's a beauty ! And I'm still looking for a nice 1823.... >>

The bid was up to $10 less than my max bid the night before the auction was over (I was going to be up in the mountains for a couple days without internet access), so I thought for sure I was not going to win that auction. I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I got home!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file