Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting photo comparison - dealer image and Trueview - 1839-O Half

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
I purchased this coin from Coin Rarities, then a CC Special popped up for any coin to submit under the Secure Plus grading. So, I thought this may have an upgrade shot from AU-55, so I submitted it.

Here's CRO's images:

Low and behold, a Trueview was shot, even though I did not order or pay for it. Here's the Trueview:

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The benefit of shooting a coin raw, nice images.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The benefit of shooting a coin raw, nice images. >>

Wanna shoot this one at Long Beach?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    WOW! CRO should have ALL their coins TrueViewed! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Am I the only one who likes the top images better?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    AMAZING coin!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Am I the only one who likes the top images better? >>

Yes, but you're the youngest too... so your eyes are probably the only ones that can still see the difference.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>

Wanna shoot this one at Long Beach? >>

Of course! Mine will look more like the CRO images. Does the coin have PL surfaces? It reminds me a reeded edge 1838 in PCGS PR64CAM I shot at FUN.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope as I'd be more apt to buy based on the top images.

BTW: claychaser I like that 39-O a LOT! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So which image does the coin most look like in hand?? I'm guessing CRO's images. TrueView photos are neat, but anytime a coin has a little color, the photo seems to be taken to emphasize (even exaggerate) the color. Heritage does the same thing in their images of toned coins, especially the proofs.

Cool coin in any case image
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>So which image does the coin most look like in hand?? I'm guessing CRO's images. TrueView photos are neat, but anytime a coin has a little color, the photo seems to be taken to emphasize (even exaggerate) the color. Heritage does the same thing in their images of toned coins, especially the proofs.

Cool coin in any case image >>

Was wondering the same thing. I just have a hard time believing the coin looks that colorful in hand.

Great coin either way.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has already been mentioned, but is worth repeating in that there is a very large difference between shooting an image of a raw coin as is done at PCGS and obtaining an image through a slab such as done by Mark Goodman. Sometimes the PCGS images seem quite accurate and other times not so much. So, which image looks more like the coin to your eyes?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Of course! Mine will look more like the CRO images. Does the coin have PL surfaces? It reminds me a reeded edge 1838 in PCGS PR64CAM I shot at FUN. >>

Wasn't that an 1836? image
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice Half!

I would think that CRO's image is more accurate though. I can not even see any of the ticks on the true view image.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the top images. TruViews look like too much contrast added.
  • Trueviews are like an idealized artistic rendition of the coins. Almost like a water color painting. I liked them for a while until I saw a coin in hand vs trueview. I much prefer the shots that Airplanenut and BluVette and KryptoCom et tal shoot here on the boards.
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, beautiful 1839-O claychaser!!

Second, I'm kinda partial to the True View's myself, as you could probably tell from my CBH Registry. Although I think the colors are brought out more in true views, I believe that is what Phil Arnold's job is. That is, to bring out the best in every coin he shoots. And, I believe if held just right under a light, the image he produces IS the way the coin appears, although I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Either way, I like the true view very much myself but more so the coin, congrats again Claychaser!!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....you tell US.

Which one REALLY looks like the coin?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So....you tell US.

Which one REALLY looks like the coin? >>

They probably both look like the coin in hand depending on the light source (fluorescence vs. incandescent vs. natural lighting) and the angle you hold the coin in the light while looking at it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mumu said it before I did

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like CRO's images more.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Most interesting. I went to the cert verification and they have a second image which gives a completely different look.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    which ones show the true look of the coin in normal lighting?? Of course the true view pics look better but if this look can only be seen in just the right light when tilting the coin just the right way..........
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most interesting. I went to the cert verification and they have a second image which gives a completely different look.

I am going to guess this picture represents more of the way this coin actually looks?

image >>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Of course! Mine will look more like the CRO images. Does the coin have PL surfaces? It reminds me a reeded edge 1838 in PCGS PR64CAM I shot at FUN. >>

Wasn't that an 1836? image >>

You got me. You know I dont know that era!
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin, nice pics......So, did you get the upgrade to 58 or not?
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I prefer the top images. >>

Me too.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gorgeous coin, nice pics......So, did you get the upgrade to 58 or not? >>

Nope - not even a + grade image

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i believe it's always best to strive for a picture which looks very natural and doesn't aim to portray a coin's attributes at the expense of hiding its flaws, a point alluded to regarding the TruView "portraits" as i generally see them. some of our better forum shutterbugs can attain that standard, even i stumble upon the technique every once-and-a-while. Darktone said it best about just the right light at just the right angle.

i think of it like this-----if you bought the OP coin 1) based on the top picture --or-- 2) based on the TruView picture, which would dissappoint you and cause you to think the pictures had been manipulated once you recieved the coin??

• << <i>The benefit of shooting a coin raw, nice images. >>

Not entirely, and some of you may remember that I used to do quite a bit of memorable coin photography.

The difference in the two pics has to do primarily with the angle the light is hitting and then bouncing off the coin.

<< <i>

Not entirely, and some of you may remember that I used to do quite a bit of memorable coin photography.

The difference in the two pics has to do primarily with the angle the light is hitting and then bouncing off the coin. >>

And that angle is much easier to achieve raw without the problems of glare from the plastic.
  • That should also answer the question of "which does the coin look mostly like?"
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will anyone answer.......................honestly??

if you bought the OP coin 1) based on the top picture --or-- 2) based on the TruView picture, which would dissappoint you and cause you to think the pictures had been manipulated once you recieved the coin??

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. The TruView has the color saturation and contrast turned up. While it may be appealing, it doesn't represent what the coin looks like in hand. The original images are better.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only tru view is with my 1875 gold dollar.

I can match it up with the image from small contact marks.

The tru view looks 90% different from the coin in hand.

And I agree...Juice flows free out west.
  • One can never be sure what the customer is expecting when shooting a coin raw unless specified (which usually isn't the case). If it's a toned proof, or a coin like this which may or may not have semi PL surfaces, the assumption usually is that the customer wants that toning highlighted. If the surfaces are desired (like with in-slab photos), that can be captured with a TrueView as well. Most of the time it comes down to the discretion of the photographer what technique to use. This appears to be an older image, and I think TrueViews have backed away from such lighting techniques for MS coins.

Anyway, TrueViews aren't really tweaked or juiced. With so many coins to photograph, who really has time to do that kind of stuff?

Hi Todd! Nice meeting you at FUN.

• << <i>The TruView has the color saturation and contrast turned up. >>

While that is a none too surprising of a conclusion, I am sorry but that is not true. If that were true then you could take the top image, turn up the saturation and contrast and end up with the other images.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I remember the coin in hand looking very much like Mark Goodman's photo.

• << <i>will anyone answer.......................honestly??

if you bought the OP coin 1) based on the top picture --or-- 2) based on the TruView picture, which would dissappoint you and cause you to think the pictures had been manipulated once you recieved the coin?? >>

Hard to answer without the coin in hand but as a guess I think its obvious that the truview has more probablity for disapointment.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an up grade candidate!image Nice coin and imaging..

Hard to answer without the coin in hand but as a guess I think its obvious that the truview has more probablity for disapointment.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • The true view images simply are capturizations of the light bouncing more directly into the lens of the camera than the top images.
  • Oh, and by the way, nice coin. One of my favorites....a one year type coin.
  • Here's the top image with contrast and saturation added:

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's the top image with contrast and saturation added:

image >>

Congratulations, you sucessfully ruined the pictureimage
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer Mark Goodman's images assuming it is more accurate when viewing the coin slabbed. In my view, it is a more honest representation.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

• << <i>Congratulations, you sucessfully ruined the pictureimage >>

Thank you but don't worry, I didn't ruin all the pictures. The original good images also exist on other people's hardrives on their computers. You see, everybody's computer has it's own harddrive so when I capture the image and put it on my harddrive, and then change it, that doesn't change the image on the other people's hard drives. And you don't need to thank me, I always like to help those who don't understand very much about how computers work. There's a good book on computers you might read "Computers for Dummies." Very basic.

Oh, and by the way, my intentions in posting that image was to point out that the second set of images was not essentially the first set with more contrast and saturation.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the top image much more than the second.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Oh, one last thing, Mark. I went to your website for the first time. Wow....great job. I am very impressed.

Also.....hope you have a good sense of humor!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thankfully, the true original image resides on my computer...
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Whew!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file